The Island

Started by modage, March 18, 2005, 09:42:29 AM

modage

Release Date: July 22, 2005
Studio: DreamWorks Pictures
Director: Michael Bay
Screenwriter: Caspian Tredwell-Owen, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci
Starring: Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Djimon Hounsou, Michael Clarke Duncan, Steve Buscemi, Sean Bean, Shawnee Smith, Noa Tishby
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Lincoln Six-Echo (McGregor) is a resident of a seemingly utopian but contained facility in the mid-21st century. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully controlled environment, Lincoln hopes to be chosen to go to the "The Island"—reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet. But Lincoln soon discovers that everything about his existence is a lie. He and all of the other inhabitants of the facility are actually human clones whose only purpose is to provide "spare parts" for their original human counterparts. Realizing it is only a matter of time before he is "harvested," Lincoln makes a daring escape with a beautiful fellow resident named Jordan Two-Delta (Johansson). Relentlessly pursued by the forces of the sinister institute that once housed them, Lincoln and Jordan engage in a race for their lives to literally meet their makers.

Rounding out the main cast of "The Island" are Oscar nominee Djimon Hounsou ("In America," "Gladiator") as the head of the security team sent to hunt down Lincoln and Jordan; Steve Buscemi ("Ghost World," "Armageddon") as a man who befriends Lincoln despite working for the institute; Michael Clarke Duncan ("The Green Mile," "Armageddon") as another resident who is unaware of his fate when he is selected to go to "The Island"; and Sean Bean ("National Treasure," "The Lord of the Rings") as Merick, the chief antagonist.

TRAILER: http://images.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/the_island/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

Well that picture doesn't really make me wanna see it, but the story sounds interesting.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pubrick

this is gonna be the best michael bay movie. i'm hoping he'll exploit scarlett for all the hotness he can get.
under the paving stones.

modage

yeah other than the obvious matrix similarities, this looks really cool.  and something different for bay as well, it even looks restrained in parts.  nice visual odes to clockwork orange and thx 1138, (whether they were intentional or not).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

This really looks awseome. I haven't really been a big fan of Michael Bay. Although I thought The Rock was great. Looking forward to this.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02and something different for bay as well, it even looks restrained in parts.

Perhaps because Bruckheimer isn't involved.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

I don't think Michael Bay will ever be able to deliver something as awful and amazing at the same time as Bad Boys II.  But, as much as he generally sucks, this might be allright.  Maybe this time he'll be able to focus on characters more.  That would be something that could distinguish it the matrix, which, judging by the trailer, this film owes a lot to.

meatball

Definitely looks promising. Visually awesome.

Matrix? Or maybe it owes a lot to Dark City.

Tictacbk

The matrix meets vanilla sky....in a good way?

+scarlet johansson looking like gwenyth paltrow and steve buscemi...sounds promising.

Stefen

now, i don't know anything about this flick. all i know is that its called the island and its directd by michael bay and has ewan mcgregor. I remember when danny boyle was making the beach and was gonna cast ewan but then at the last second went with dicaprio cause he was huge at that time with titanic. maybe this is ewans beach?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

meatball

The idyllic imagery in the trailer reminds me of The Beach a lot. It's like The Beach, but with clone lords instead of drug lords. I'm sensing a lot of Logan's Run in this, too.

Ultrahip

The title reminds of Aldous Huxley's book 'Island.' They should have made that instead.

pete

this reminds me of how sick of the glossy "gritty" look I am.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

International Trailer here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

hmm.... i think the preview itself is less good but it makes the movie look even more good.