Dark Water

Started by MacGuffin, December 08, 2004, 02:56:23 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: August, 2005

Starring: Jennifer Connelly, John C. Reilly, Tim Roth, Dougray Scott, Pete Postlethwaite, Ariel Gade  

Screenwriter: Rafael Yglesias

Director: Walter Salles  

Premise: From the author of 'The Ring,' Dahlia Williams (Jennifer Connelly) is starting a new life; newly separated with a new job and a new apartment, she's determined to put her relationship with her estranged husband behind her and devote herself to raising her daughter, Ceci. But when the strained separation disintegrates into a bitter custody battle, her situation takes a turn for the worse. Her new apartment - dilapidated, cramped, and worn - seems to take on a life of its own. Mysterious noises, persistent leaks of dark water, and strange happenings cause her imagination to run wild, leaving her to wonder who is behind the endless mind games. As Dahlia frantically searches for the links between the riddles, the dark water seems to close around her. But one thing trumps all others in Dahlia's world: no matter what it is that's out there, nothing is going to harm her little girl.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Wow.  I like everyone involved, but this movie looks TERRIBLE!  All of the horror movie clichés again.

NOTES: A little kid singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" is not scary.  Woman who moves to a new apartment where weird things are going on has been done.  Having the woman be onto some conspiracy but having everyone else think that she's just paranoid has also been done.  Faucets turning on by themselves have been done.  Everything in this movie has been done, so... I'm just a little shocked that all this is coming from such a solid cast and director.

I don't see how this could be just a simple case of a bad marketing campaign--the trailer gives away the whole movie and the whole movie looks awful.

(But Jennifer Connelly looks hot, as always.)

Ghostboy

Actually, the trailer doesn't really give anything away (if it's the same trailer I saw a week or two ago) -- they just pretend to. I think they're trying to not make this look too much like The Ring, so they left out a lot of the plot, making for a very boring and standard horror trailer. The original Dark Water was my favorite of the Japanese horror boom - like the Ring, but with (I thought) a bit more of a meaningful story to it.

Bethie

QuoteJennifer Connelly

She turned 34 today.

P.S. She already did a movie about saving a kid.
who likes movies anyway

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: GhostboyI think they're trying to not make this look too much like The Ring

Then they failed miserably.  I saw this trailer before Life Aquatic over the weekend and I said to my friend, "What is this?  The Ring in an apartment building?"  5 seconds later: FROM THE CREATOR OF THE RING.   :?  

Why is everyone slumming in this movie?  And if they're not, if it really turns out to be head-and-shoulders above the recent Japanese horror remakes, then someone ought to fire the person who cut that trailer.

Myxo

Heh..

Reilly is in everything these days. I'd love to look at his daytimer.

:lol:

Ravi

Quote from: MyxomatosisHeh..

Reilly is in everything these days. I'd love to look at his daytimer.

Friday:  Dark Water premiere

Saturday:  CALL PT ANDERSON

RegularKarate

did it really take you six months to think of that joke?

Ravi

I saw the trailer on Friday and hadn't read this thread until just now.

Pubrick

too bad, it coulda been a good running gag.

so i just saw the trailer too, i was out of the developed world when this was posted, two observations:

-the only thing that trailer might induce is an epileptic seizure.
-that was (unintentionally) hilarious when the girl's hand became possessed and she started drawing like a madwoman.. all i could think was she musta "push the tempo"

(fatboy slim - ya mama)
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I saw this earlier this evening. I feel bad for Walter Salles - having to make this after both American 'Ring' movies used the vast majority of the imager from the original 'Dark Water.' He does his best, and to his credit, there's really no 'Ring' imagery here. No little girls with matted hair covering their face. The horror element is vastly subdued, compared to the original. He really tries to make it a drama about one woman's relationship with her daughter, and, more prevalently, her complete psychological breakdown. But because it still has to be a ghost story, too, it just doesn't work as that the way it might have had this not been the remake that it is. Also, it's not scary at all. Connelly's performance is really good, though - as is John C. and Tim Roth.

Salles was at the thing I went to in Berlin earlier this year, and he implied that this movie was not a good experience for him at all, and that he was going to never work for a studio again.

Finn

POSSIBLE SPOILER

The movie was poor for the most part. Jennifer Connelly was amazing and gave yet another great performance. John C. Reilly was good too along with the supporting actors. But if you've seen "Hide and Seek", you've seen this movie. They're almost identical. I figured out the ending within the first half hour of the movie. And at the end they tried to tack on a little piece of joy so that the movie wouldn't seem like such a dark downer (which is what it is). They better not make any more horror movies with children as the victims because it's getting VERY old now.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Brazoliange

Quote from: FinnPOSSIBLE SPOILER

The movie was poor for the most part. Jennifer Connelly was amazing and gave yet another great performance. John C. Reilly was good too along with the supporting actors. But if you've seen "Hide and Seek", you've seen this movie. They're almost identical. I figured out the ending within the first half hour of the movie. And at the end they tried to tack on a little piece of joy so that the movie wouldn't seem like such a dark downer (which is what it is). They better not make any more horror movies with children as the victims because it's getting VERY old now.

I just got back from this

Pluses:
-Jennifer Connelly
-John C. Reilly
-the kid
-killing Jennifer Connelly off
-the happy friendly ending that kinda removed the downer pre-ending

Minuses:
-advertising really fucked this up
-the mishaps of the Rings

Winner:
-Thinking the entire time that it was going all Shining on me with bathtubs full of blood and a little girl chopped to bits
Long live the New Flesh

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02SPOILERS!  :(

coming from the guy who invented the spoilatar..  :violin: