Closer

Started by metroshane, August 05, 2004, 11:45:17 AM

El Duderino

i like "if you believe in love at first sight...you never stop looking" i think it's clever.

and here's a picture of natalie from the movie
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

hedwig

Actress Natalie Portman ordered director Mike Nichols to remove her full frontal nude scenes from her latest movie Closer - despite playing a stripper in the film. Nichols is very protective of the 23-year-old beauty and agreed the topless footage was acceptable, but decided raunchy shots of her fully nude :shock:  were gratuitous and should be deleted from the drama. Portman explains, "He wants to see my bare ass much less than (even) my father would. He's as or more protective of me than my parents are. So doing sexual, physical stuff for him felt very uncomfortable."

I suppose it was the classy thing to do.

ono

If it was the classy thing to do, why did she do the scenes in the first place?  For the art?  Right...

modage

she said in EW that she couldnt do something like that 'half assed'.  but decided they were unneccesary later.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: themodernage02she said in EW that she couldnt do something like that 'half assed'.
Buh dum ching.

modage

''He wants to see my bare ass much less than [even] my father would. He's as or more protective of me than my parents are. So doing sexual, physical stuff for him felt very comfortable.'' (Nichols made good on that trust. After shooting the strip-club scene fully nude — ''You can't do this stuff half-assed, pun intended,'' notes Portman — the director supported her decision to nix the skin shots.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Same thing Hedwig quoted, I guess.  But is it "comfortable" or "uncomfortable?"  Either way, it's all very Freudian.

cine

Can someone tell me the name of the main song in the trailer?

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileCan someone tell me the name of the main song in the trailer?

"Caramel" - Suzanne Vega
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

UncleJoey

Quote from: CinephileCan someone tell me the name of the main song in the trailer?

I would assume you're referring to the second one, which is "Caramel" by Suzanne Vega, if I'm not mistaken. I think someone mentioned her on the first page, but going back to find out who would be way too much work.

The first song, if anyone cares, is "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice

EDIT: Damn you Macguffin. That's what I get for making myself a sandwich before I finish typing.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

cine

Quote from: UncleJoeyThe first song, if anyone cares, is "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice
Thanks. That's actually what I was looking for. :oops:

matt35mm

Quote from: HedwigNichols is very protective of the 23-year-old beauty and agreed the topless footage was acceptable...
Oh thank God.

El Duderino

does anyone else think that suzanne vega's voice sounds a lot like natalie portman...maybe it's just me, but it's really apparent.

on a side note, both songs are great
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ghostboy

This movie's really good, for the most part. It's like a Neil LaBute film with the venom replaced by sadness.

For the most part, it doesn't feel too much like a play -- Nichols is good at making things just cinematic enough(a la Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf). The sparse structure of the play really becomes dynamic when actual editing is involved (the way it plays with our understanding of narrative progression works much better -- or at least more interestingly -- on screen than it did on the stage). Furthermore, the changes made to the play make it a better piece of work overall. I still have a few problems with a few little things, but for the most part it's a nice, depressing little film.

Julia Roberts is surprisingly really good. I expected her to be the weak link, but she's wonderful, and holds her own with everyone else.

Going to write my full review...(3...2...1...) now.

metroshane

Holy crap this movie is amazing.  I suspect the MTV crowd won't be as enthused because it requires some commitment to enjoy, but if you've ever had a relationship with someone outside Daytona Beach Spring Break...then you'll relate.

Incredibly brave in it's honesty, it has a way of making you contridict your emotions the way everyone pretends they don't everyday.  Performances are really strong all the way around.  This is a study for anyone wanting to make movies or write about real human emotion and relationships.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.