Closer

Started by metroshane, August 05, 2004, 11:45:17 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: flagpolespecialany dates??

3/29
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I smell a double-dip coming.

Stefen

Saw this last night. it was awesome, and true. Women do use their bodies to get whatever they want. it's the reason I hit it and quit it. Clive Owen was the man, he was vulnerable in the beginning and came off as a pervert, and rather sad, but then he orchestrates everything and in the end gets everything he wanted and more. He was the best. It kind of gave off the vibe that if you treat women like shit then they will always come back. Clive Owen says and does some of the most despicable stuff but he always seemed to have the ball in his court. While Jude Law played everything really cool and sweet and ended up getting his ass handed to him. It was one of those movies that has you thinking for awhile after the initial viewing. And that to me is the sign of a fantastic film.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespecial(not sure of the theatrical release in the states came out jan 29 here)
just assume if sumthing comes out on dvd in america while it's just opened theatrically here, it probably came out the year before.
under the paving stones.

Rudie Obias

i just watched CLOSER.  i really enjoyed the film.  i read almost everything everyone said about it (good and bad).  i do disagree with most of the bad comments but i can see where they're coming from.  i really liked the conversations in the film.  it did make it feel like a play.  i really liked the opening and closing shots of the film.  but i think my favorite part about CLOSER is simply the structure.  i loved the way the film was written and edited together.  i read a lot of comments on xixax how it leaves nothing to the imagination.  i really beg to differ.  i really puts the viewer in a position to come along on the journey.  to be active while viewing rather than passive.  it makes the viewer fill in the gaps with their own story and moments.  it gives you the structure and let's you play around with story.  i loved that the most!  it's very smart and heart felt.  dare i say honest.  all in all, i loved it and i was very glad i bought for 22.99$ at borders.  (i had a gift card)
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Finn

I saw it at Borders today for the same price as well. But I went to Wal-Mart and got it for $15.99 instead and saved my gift card.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

its bare as hell so i'll either A. wait for them to announce an edition with extras in like 3 months or B. wait 3 months to get it used 3 for 25$ or 2 for 20$ at a video store.  you've got to play it cautious with these bastards now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

i  finally put down the ps2 controller and bought this yesterday.  i fucking loved it but i am about to ask a stupid question. reminded me of a feminist 'in the company of men'

[SPOILERS}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

my question is   whats the significance of jude law seeing the gravestone with portmans faKe name on it?

sorry, its a dumb question ..........please soemnone answer it

:oops:

END of spoilerssssssssss

Thrindle

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
[SPOILERS}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

my question is   whats the significance of jude law seeing the gravestone with portmans faKe name on it?

sorry, its a dumb question ..........please soemnone answer it

I guess it comes down to what love actually means.  
At the end of the movie, when Natalie Portman says, "Where is this love? You speak of this love, but I can't feel it, I can't see it", Jude Law has no real answer to give her.  He never did.  Love to him was such a fleeting and surface based emotion.  

He was capable of infatuation.  

When they first met and were talking on the bus, Alice was coquettish and made a point of unnerving him.  You will notice that she fixed his collar and entered his personal space, to assert her own.  Her ability to look him in the eye and make him squirm, was what he found so attractive.  He told her she was "disarming" and immediately she said, "That's not a euphemism".  She was right, it wasn't.  Their was nothing good about her ability to disarm him.  Rather, she was asserting a woman's age old ability to disguise her own secrets with sexual innuendo, and possiblity of lustful consummation.  (Perhaps that's what Stefen means when he says women use sex to get what they want).  Alice was ashamed of herself, otherwise she would have lived as Jane.  And so she drew a picture for Jude Law, of a woman who was sexually in control, a person who held her own fate - even though it would seem she was dealt a shitty hand.  

When Jude Law sees that he wasn't in love with "Alice Ayres", it becomes clear that Alice was an enigma.  She was who he wanted her to be.  She was who she wanted to be.  As Alice, she was capable of being loved and protected, and WORTHY of these things... despite who she ACTUALLY was.  But in reality, Jane was hidden beneath a thick exterior, and felt incapable of being loved at all.
Classic.

modage

simpler version: she moves to london and decides to re-invent herself where no one will know what the 'real her' is really like.  when jude asks her name she reads Alice off the gravestone and tells him that is her name as part of her 'new life' as this character.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Thrindle

I'll just get you to play editor next time.   :kiss:
Classic.

metroshane

Don't forget it's a plot device to form the intimacy between Owen and Portman during the lap dance scene.  Where there seemingly is no real intimacy...it was the most intimate and honest part of the film.  Just where you wouldn't expect it to be.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

metroshane

Quotejust out of curiousity has anyone had the line 'no one will ever love you like i do' said to them?

Sure, it's textbook passive/aggressive mental abuse.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quotejust out of curiousity has anyone had the line 'no one will ever love you like i do' said to them?

That's how we all end up at Xixax.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Thrindle

Quote from: metroshane

Sure, it's textbook passive/aggressive mental abuse.
I was going to say something like that.  I dated a guy for two years that would remind me that he was the only person who could ever love me, like he did.  Turns out he was right.  Only abusive shithead I'll ever date again.   :-D

But in the movie, I think Natalie Portman actually thinks that no one could ever be more in love with him, than she is.  And in a not-so-abusive way.
Classic.