Vanilla Sky

Started by Sleuth, March 02, 2003, 06:43:49 PM

Sleuth

Was this too obvious of a topic to make?

Anyway, I really dig this movie, it's actually my favorite by CC.  I get a lot of flak for thinking that way, but man I love it.  I made this thread because I just want to know why you think other CC movies were better, all opinions welcome
I like to hug dogs

Xixax

I love this movie, too. It got a lot of bad reviews, but I enjoyed it. I think I'd agree that it's one of Cameron's best.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

Quote from: tremoloslothI just want to know why you think other CC movies were better

Because they didn't have Penelope Cruz in them.

I did like Vanilla Sky, and I think Crowe inproved upon Abre Los Ojos, but some of the dialogue is not up to Crowe's other screenplays (the whole come back as cats, saddest girl holding a glass and the sour and sweet stuff). And then there's Cruz, who hasn't done a great role since coming to the US (although I really hated her character in Blow, and that was the point). She was fine in the original, but was more annoying in this version, and the thick accent contributed to that.

My Crowe fave is Almost Famous. His most personal, and it shows.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

I was high on Vanilla Sky when it came out, but it hasn't aged well for me and would place it under Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

BonBon85

I'd say Vanilla Sky is my favorite Crowe movie, but I didn't care much for the ending. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the premise of it, I just didn't really like that they spelled everything out. The movie makes you think the whole way through and suddenly the end comes and it seems a bit dumbed down. I still thought it was a great movie, though.

I'm going to get yelled at for this, aren't I?

Sigur Rós

Quote from: BonBon85I'd say Vanilla Sky is my favorite Crowe movie, but I didn't care much for the ending. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the premise of it, I just didn't really like that they spelled everything out. The movie makes you think the whole way through and suddenly the end comes and it seems a bit dumbed down. I still thought it was a great movie, though.

I'm going to get yelled at for this, aren't I?

3 things I didn't like about this movie!
1.Didn't really like the ending seemed kind of dumb. We live in time where fare out plots are in fasion. 2. Penelopé Cruz she is so damn hot but so damn untalented. 3. The way they used music in the film fx. Sigur Rós, Radiohead and Jeff Buckley. It seemed like Crowe just wanted to present all his favorite bands, while not thinking about how it worked in the film.

But there are lots of positive things in this picture :)

Ghostboy

I loved it when I first saw it, but it hasn't aged well for me either, although there's still a whole lot that I really like about it (and I still think it's on par with the original). My favorite CC movie has always been and probably always will be 'Say Anything.' That may not be HIS most personal movie, but it connects the most with me.

Personally, I thought Penelope was adorable in this movie. She's sucked in the rest of her American movies...but she was great when she still spoke Spanish.

phil marlowe

I didn't like it much, but mostly because the writings were so damn bad. It really had problems presenting the caracters and/or it didn't really seemed like crowe's script was communicating with the actors.

Worst of them all was Penélope Cuz's caracter wich was beyond cliche and really unlikable, and that ruined everything because of the fact that the entire story was buildt around her. Cruise were mediocore but I thought Diaz was good though and the only caracter i really liked wich is kinda bad when she was presented to be unlikable.

And the ending didn't get me in any way. I just thought it was dumb. Haven't seen Abre Los Ojos though.

Xixax

Was the original better than CC's version?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

Quote from: XixaxWas the original better than CC's version?

I dont think so, but Penelope sure was better in it

oakmanc234

I saw 'Vanilla Sky' at the flicks and found myself thinking 'what the f***, IS HAPPENING!' (just as Cruise does in the film). It was just too much to take in, too much stuff not explained, I felt alienated from the film and found it dreary in its last half. Then a few months passed, I thought about it more and more. Before I new it, I couldn't wait for it to hit video stores. I bought the brilliant soundtrack, rented the film and absolutely loved it. Its a hell of a film that takes some getting used to. I've watched it a million times since. Just such a rollercoaster ride that can be an enjoyable one if you just run with it.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Sigur Rós

Quote from: oakmanc234I saw 'Vanilla Sky' at the flicks and found myself thinking 'what the f***, IS HAPPENING!' (just as Cruise does in the film). It was just too much to take in, too much stuff not explained, I felt alienated from the film and found it dreary in its last half. Then a few months passed, I thought about it more and more. Before I new it, I couldn't wait for it to hit video stores. I bought the brilliant soundtrack, rented the film and absolutely loved it. Its a hell of a film that takes some getting used to. I've watched it a million times since. Just such a rollercoaster ride that can be an enjoyable one if you just run with it.

Maybe i should watch it again. Only seen it once and i felt (to quote oakmanc234) 'what the f***, IS HAPPENING!'. I dont think it will change my opinion about Penélope or the way they used great music very badly, but i most give it another chance.

...This made me think about something fun.....Damn I love this part in Jerry Maguire:  

Rod Tidwell: Show me the money!  and also

Tidwell: Anyone else would have left you by now, but I'm sticking with you. And if I have to ride your ass like Zorro, you're gonna show me the money.

Got to see Jerry Maguire one more time!

RegularKarate

Vanilla Sky = Thumbs down

The whole "twist" about it is just a scene right out of Total Recal.  

It had really good music used really poorly and it was just a sad attempt at being hip.

Balls

Pedro

Quote from: XixaxWas the original better than CC's version?

With out a doubt.  I really love Abre Los Ojos much more than Vanilla Sky...the whole guy on the elevator who explained everything wasn't groovy in my opinion.  Plus the whole hollywoodization (is that a word?) or the film was really overblown (the opening dream sequence for example).

Quote from: oakmanc234I saw 'Vanilla Sky' at the flicks and found myself thinking 'what the f***, IS HAPPENING!' (just as Cruise does in the film). It was just too much to take in, too much stuff not explained, I felt alienated from the film and found it dreary in its last half. Then a few months passed, I thought about it more and more. Before I new it, I couldn't wait for it to hit video stores. I bought the brilliant soundtrack, rented the film and absolutely loved it. Its a hell of a film that takes some getting used to. I've watched it a million times since. Just such a rollercoaster ride that can be an enjoyable one if you just run with it.

Not to be mean at all...but you actually did have trouble with the film? Interesting, you're the first person I've known to say that...hmmm, wasn't that a Critic's problem, though?

bonanzataz

Quote from: RegularKarateVanilla Sky = Thumbs down

The whole "twist" about it is just a scene right out of Total Recal.  

It had really good music used really poorly and it was just a sad attempt at being hip.

Balls

Most of the music wasn't used well, but I really liked (the first time I saw it anyway) the use of Good Vibrations.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls