Walk The Line

Started by MacGuffin, May 24, 2004, 11:34:52 PM

MacGuffin

The New Johnny Cash
Joaquin Phoenix can Walk and sing at the same time.
Source: FilmForce

Joaquin Phoenix will portray recently departed music icon Johnny Cash in writer/director James Mangold's planned biopic Walk the Line. Now according to The World Entertainment News Network, producer Cathy Konrad says there's even the possibility that Phoenix will go the way of Sissy Spacek in Coal Miner's Daughter, Val Kilmer in The Doors and David Keith in Heartbreak Hotel and perform his own singing vocals for the film.

Konrad advised the site that Phoenix "sounds great" as The Man in Black, which would be an amazing accomplishment indeed considering how unlike their voices are. It's not a done deal, however, and a decision will be made soon whether to use Cash's original recordings for the film or Phoenix's vocals.

Walk the Line was given the blessing of both Johnny Cash and his wife June Carter Cash, who also died earlier this year and will be played by Reese Witherspoon in the movie.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert Patrick Accepts Cash
X-Files star joins Johnny Cash biopic.

A scooper for Coming Soon advised the site that former X-Files thesp Robert Patrick revealed at this past weekend's London Expo that he has joined the cast of Walk the Line, writer-director James Mangold's biopic of country music icon Johnny Cash.

Patrick will reportedly portray Johnny's father Ray Cash. Joaquin Phoenix will star as Johnny Cash and Reese Witherspoon plays his wife June Carter Cash. Both Johnny and June died last year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodwin Walks The Line
Johnny Cash biopic casting.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, actress Ginnifer Goodwin (Mona Lisa Smile, Win a Date With Tad Hamilton!) has joined the cast of writer-director James Mangold's Walk the Line.

The biopic stars Joaquin Phoenix as the late country music star Johnny Cash and Reese Witherspoon as his second wife, June Carter Cash.

Goodwin will reportedly "play the country music legend's first wife, Vivianne, who tries to deal with his infidelity and distance but eventually divorces him."

Fox 2000 will distribute Walk the Line, which begins filming this summer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

How about Wok the line. A sequel to god of cookery?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Dude, God of Cookery is a truly cherished film in Asia.  No one should try and mess around with that, as one would only sully the holiness of that film.

Secondly, James Mangold is a suck-balls director.  Too bad he's the one making a Johnny Cash pic...

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mmSecondly, James Mangold is a suck-balls director.  Too bad he's the one making a Johnny Cash pic...

I, for one, love Heavy, Copland and Girl, Interrupted (and enjoyed Kate & Leopold and Identity). I actually think he's underrated.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jasper_window

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: matt35mmSecondly, James Mangold is a suck-balls director.  Too bad he's the one making a Johnny Cash pic...

I, for one, love Heavy, Copland and Girl, Interrupted (and enjoyed Kate & Leopold and Identity). I actually think he's underrated.

Absolutely.  Heavy and Cop Land especially.  Mangold also did a great commentary on Identity and I can't wait for the new Cop Land.  I'd love to see the original, longer cut of the film.  I have a friend who managed to see it when they were first previewing the film and he praised it.

pete

did I just hear shoutouts to the god of cookery?
where were you guys when I needed you?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Joaquin Phoenix Breaks Down

Actor Joaquin Phoenix broke down on the set of his latest movie and started banging his head against a wall - because a scene reportedly sparked memories of his brother River Phoenix's tragic death. The Village star - who was 19 when his brother died of a drug overdose outside Los Angeles nightclub The Viper Room in 1993 - is currently filming Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line. Sources say Phoenix had to be taken away in an ambulance after references to the horrific death of Cash's younger brother Jack in an electrical tool accident caused him to freak out. Phoenix's publicist denies that the star is having a breakdown, but there are rumors the film's location may have to be switched from Memphis, Tennessee to Hollywood, to make Phoenix more comfortable.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: November 18th, 2005 (wide).

Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Ginnifer Goodwin, Shelby Lynne, Robert Patrick

Directed by: James Mangold  

Screenwriter: Gill Dennis, James Mangold

Premise: He picked cotton, sold door to door, and served in the Air Force. He was a voice of rebellion that changed the face of rock and roll. An outlaw before today's rebels were born - and an icon they would never forget. He did all this before turning 30. And his name was Johnny Cash. WALK THE LINE explores the early years of the music legend, an artist who transcended musical boundaries to touch people around the globe. As his music changed the world, Cash's own world was rocked by the woman who became the love of his life: June Carter.

Skeleton FilmWorks

lamas

that poster better have been done by Shepard Fairey, or there's some real style-biters out there

killafilm

Looks good to me, I agree with you all about Copland, underrated.  Identity is solid too, other than being Donalds movie in Adaptation.  Plus it looks real purdy.  Which brings me to Phedon Papamichael, whom I think is great.  His work on Sideways and Moonlight Mile is top notch and is a big part of why I'll be seeing this.

soixante

Walk the Line could be this year's Ray.  Mr. Phoenix should start polishing his acceptance speech.

Copland was good.  What a cast.  And Stallone does his most low-key work since the original Rocky.  Heavy was good too.  If nothing else, Mangold is good with actors, and for a biopic, that is important.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Ghostboy

This looks exactly like 'Ray' - i.e., a biopic which is only worthwhile for its lead actor's performance.

SiliasRuby

Saw this last night, friday night, and the performances were supurb and I love Johnny Cash's Music. It has great tidbits of (spoiler) Cash hobnobbing with greats Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley. They actually toured all together when they were just getting started (end spoiler). But I had this, and I don't want to stereotype here but this hick who was sitting to the right of me who was talking to her daughter about cash every now and again through the picture, Frusterated me a bit. But ya over all great... :yabbse-thumbup:
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

life_boy

Quote from: soixante on August 01, 2005, 11:55:45 AM
Walk the Line could be this year's Ray.

That's what I'm afraid of.

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 27, 2004, 10:15:31 PM
Joaquin Phoenix Breaks Down

Actor Joaquin Phoenix broke down on the set of his latest movie and started banging his head against a wall - because a scene reportedly sparked memories of his brother River Phoenix's tragic death. The Village star - who was 19 when his brother died of a drug overdose outside Los Angeles nightclub The Viper Room in 1993 - is currently filming Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line. Sources say Phoenix had to be taken away in an ambulance after references to the horrific death of Cash's younger brother Jack in an electrical tool accident caused him to freak out. Phoenix's publicist denies that the star is having a breakdown, but there are rumors the film's location may have to be switched from Memphis, Tennessee to Hollywood, to make Phoenix more comfortable.
I'm a year and some change late on this, but how did this make any sense?  He'd have been more comfortable being closer to where that horrific memory took place?