Walk The Line

Started by MacGuffin, May 24, 2004, 11:34:52 PM

MacGuffin

Well, if we're gonna continue the comparisons to Ray, then I would chose this one over that film. This film was more of a romance story than a bio-pic, which is reinforced by how it ends - he gets the girl. And this is somewhat why I thought Walk The Line had more going for it than just a retelling of a artist's life story; it was more about the relationship. Where Ray felt more like a showcase for Foxx's "impersonation" of Charles, Phoenix's portrayal (as with the storytelling) made you see Cash as a touchable human, not as a distant 'star'. The acting was perfect, and I was most impressed with Witherspoon. It's a very mature role for her that makes you wipe away the thought that this the same person doing stuff like Legally Blonde and Just Like Heaven. It's another excellent Mangold film that I enjoyed and really makes me appreciate what a great actors' director he is.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 01, 2006, 02:53:36 PM
Well, if we're gonna continue the comparisons to Ray, then I would chose this one over that film. This film was more of a romance story than a bio-pic, which is reinforced by how it ends - he gets the girl. And this is somewhat why I thought Walk The Line had more going for it than just a retelling of a artist's life story; it was more about the relationship. Where Ray felt more like a showcase for Foxx's "impersonation" of Charles, Phoenix's portrayal (as with the storytelling) made you see Cash as a touchable human, not as a distant 'star'. The acting was perfect, and I was most impressed with Witherspoon. It's a very mature role for her that makes you wipe away the thought that this the same person doing stuff like Legally Blonde and Just Like Heaven. It's another excellent Mangold film that I enjoyed and really makes me appreciate what a great actors' director he is.
yes i would agree with that.  i liked it but as the movie got into the 'he's into drugs stage' i grew bored.  the love story was the spark that took it out of the typical biopic childhood/beginnings stuff and made the movie come alive.  but when they were apart and he spiraled downward it fell back into the trappings of the material.  i mean, i KNOW its terrible to say because its true but that doesnt mean it makes for a great movie.  it was good because of the music and the actors.  i was especially and SURPRISINGLY impressed with Witherspoon who i did not appreciate as an actress before this film.  but after seeing her in this i can now see what people like about her.  there was something very natural and a spark about her in this film she was very likable so if she gets the oscar i wont mind.  i too hope she can find more roles that actually utilize her acting instead of the fluff romantic comedy stuff to keep her female fanbase.  i just hope its not predictable Oscar Bait like North Country or Shipping News or something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Just saw this (the local is finally showing the films it should showed months ago due to awards season, still...cant complain). I agree with Reese's accolades but to me its a shame that the focus on her has detracted from Joaquin. There's an early scene in a Diner where Reese offers to dedicate a song to JC's brother and it was an amazingly powerful moment of actor meeting character.

I agree that the love story elevates the whole thing but that and the performances outweigh the more typical biopic elements almost completely.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

polkablues

Quote from: ®edlum on March 10, 2006, 03:01:34 PM
I agree that the love story elevates the whole thing but that and the performances outweigh the more typical biopic elements almost completely.

That's what's great about this movie; unlike Ray and most other biopics, Walk the Line would be just as good if Johnny Cash and June Carter were fictional characters.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reinhold

Quote from: ddmarfield on November 20, 2005, 09:23:53 PM
This is the poster child of a "safe" biopic. It has no distinct style or narrative that hasn't been done numerous times before.

Ultimately an enjoyable film, but only for the performances of Phoenix and Witherspoon and the music.

Much like "Ray," you'd probably get the same experience by buying a good greatest hits collection.

C+

yeah. what he said.

and i kept waiting for his dad to turn his hand into a liquid-metal spike and kill everybody.

Quote from: polkablues on March 10, 2006, 03:18:52 PM
That's what's great about this movie; unlike Ray and most other biopics, Walk the Line would be just as good if Johnny Cash and June Carter were fictional characters.

this occurred to me in the theater, but then i remembered that i wasn't really enjoying the movie that much, so it didn't really matter to me.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.