War Of The Worlds

Started by MacGuffin, March 17, 2004, 01:02:10 AM

Fernando

Here's the link of the chat in which Cruise and Spielberg talk about WotW, Indy 4, their western project and more.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

earlier last year I had a dream about how Mars was getting really close and we could observe Mars.  In that dream I went down the little street in my then apartment in Cambridge, where all these people were watching, a big clear Mars in the sky, and we could see the purple clouds and the lightning bolts on Mars, and the sky was purple.  I even remember seeing this little 6-year old girl who goes to my church who was there with here family.
It's kinda freaky how similar it looked to that one shot in the teaser trailer.  There was no mars in the shot in the trailer, but the colors were really similar!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

That dialogue is just a little embarassing.

And why does it have to have a divorce story? (which will probably be resolved later)

It would be nice if a movie like this would let us learn about the characters during the disaster instead of conveniently building sympathy beforehand.

And the blue-collar Tom Cruise really doesn't work for me.

And why does David Koepp write everything?

kotte

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
It would be nice if a movie like this would let us learn about the characters during the disaster instead of conveniently building sympathy beforehand.

Amen to that. Why these kinds of movies are so predictable. You know exactly what will happen to each and every character before the disaster or what ever it is begins. We're at a moment in cinema history where storytellers tell us the ending before the second act.

Gabe

I KNOOOOOOWWW!!!!!

He must be a pretty good writer.

Whats his best Work?

A Matter Of Chance

I don't know - I think it looks good. However, I agree with JB about the dialogue. And that shot of Dakota Fanning looking out the back of the car was bit too much.

matt35mm

There's a lot in the teaser that's not good, but there's a lot that is good.  Mostly the dialogue, yeah, is not so good.  Especially from the minor characters like the cops and bystanders.  It just rings very false.  Many of the shots are excellent, though.  The backseat shot with Fanning that has been mentioned before, and I like the last shot in the teaser quite a bit.

This is one of the few movies, however, that I know I'm watching no matter what.  For some reason I can't just walk around NOT having seen War of the Worlds when everyone else has.  Even if the reviews are horrible (but I don't think they will be), I'd see it.  I've been liking a lot of what Spielberg and Cruise have been doing in the past few years.  I guess David Koepp is my main worry here, but I do trust Spielberg to deliver something fairly spectacular nonetheless.

picolas

Quote from: Borjabah
I KNOOOOOOWWW!!!!!

He must be a pretty good writer.
how do you know, then?

meatball

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAnd why does it have to have a divorce story? (which will probably be resolved later)

Wasn't there a divorce story in Independence Day?

There's a seperation story in Mars Attacks!

Then there's the death of the mother in Signs...

Pedro

The music at the end of the teaser made me laugh a lot.  especially with that title card of A STEVEN SPIELBERG FILM.

Alethia

this is gonna this decades jurassic park.  terrific action set pieces, great special effects, some corny dialogue (let's hope this doesn't cross over into lost world territories), great john williams score and sappy sentiment involving adults and children, koepp, spielberg, ilm.  i'll probably love it.

seriously tho, this does look like it's gonna be a lot of fun.  worries about the script and acting aside, spielberg even at his very worst (lost world) can do a hell of a good ol' fashioned action/suspense scene (julianne moore on the nearly broken glass, really the only reason to watch that otherwise stupid piece of shit).

Ravi

Does anyone else picture when you hear/read "David Koepp"?

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Ravi

Does anyone else picture when you hear/read "David Koepp"?
I smell a biopic.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection