War Of The Worlds

Started by MacGuffin, March 17, 2004, 01:02:10 AM

w/o horse

Haha.  Awesome Ghostboy.  Thank you.

I understand the argument made today against me, honestly, and for some reason there was this part in my heart that perhaps was hoping for more from Speilberg, perhaps was hoping he'd turned a dynamic new leaf and was interested in making films that were honest to the human condition.  Which was a hopeful thought but not at all merited and appropriately received.  If I had thought he had turned the turner (which I had) I would have been dissapointed.  Knowing he hasn't it I can experience it for what it is.  This guy and his "Ameria is ready for evil aliens" had me all mixed up.  Cheers.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Alethia

i am rather excited about seeing it, but now have my reservations about the ending, etc....whatever.  ebert's review made me kinda nervous, but upon re-reading it, it seems that really the only reason he disliked it is because the tripods have three legs instead of the more stable four.

i feel kinda weird, i havent been this excited by a summer movie in a looooong time....

Myxo

Quote from: ewardi am rather excited about seeing it, but now have my reservations about the ending, etc....whatever.  ebert's review made me kinda nervous, but upon re-reading it, it seems that really the only reason he disliked it is because the tripods have three legs instead of the more stable four.

i feel kinda weird, i havent been this excited by a summer movie in a looooong time....

..not even for Matrix Reloaded? I was really pumped for that.

Going to see WOTW this weekend!

thadius sterling

I'm going to go see this in about an hour. Rotten tomatoes is showing good reviews so I'm all excited but trying to not get my hopes up.

thadius sterling

AND THE VERDICT IS...

As awesome and intense a movie experience as Jaws or Jurasic Park, didn't disappoint me at all :)

Gold Trumpet

Speilberg's worst movie. For a filmmaker who usually does well trying to be imaginative with a genre, he follows this one on a dead end track through every cliche hoping he can do enough with his filmmaking to just get by. Its sloppy storytelling with a bad dramatic story that has little focus or clarity. Chalk Tom Cruise up yet again for managing to dismemeber a movie into a movie star show off because even when playing a normal guy, he seems to have all the answers for every problem the movie has. (plus a car that likely costs more than his character's house)

Not even the special effects helped. By twenty minutes in, I felt I had seen everything and when remembering how I loved Jurassic Park, I realized the T-Rex was just the appetizer to the good things in that film. The good things in this film are just repeated endlessly through out. This films throws everything at you at once and really makes no attempt to be nothing more than a destruction movie.

Myxo

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSpeilberg's worst movie. For a filmmaker who usually does well trying to be imaginative with a genre, he follows this one on a dead end track through every cliche hoping he can do enough with his filmmaking to just get by. Its sloppy storytelling with a bad dramatic story that has little focus or clarity. Chalk Tom Cruise up yet again for managing to dismemeber a movie into a movie star show off because even when playing a normal guy, he seems to have all the answers for every problem the movie has. (plus a car that likely costs more than his character's house)

Not even the special effects helped. By twenty minutes in, I felt I had seen everything and when remembering how I loved Jurassic Park, I realized the T-Rex was just the appetizer to the good things in that film. The good things in this film are just repeated endlessly through out. This films throws everything at you at once and really makes no attempt to be nothing more than a destruction movie.

Is it better than Independence day? :lol:

thadius sterling

It's way better than independance day. And if you think this is his worst movie you obviously haven't seen 1941

Stefen

So is the movie good? I'm hearing it is. I was gonna see it today but just couldn't get the energy. It would have been the first movie I have seen in the theater since Life Aquatic and Pirates Of The Carribean. I'll be waiting for video most likely. I'm pumped though. A problem that irks me though is Tom Cruise. I just can't buy him as Joe Schmo, ya know? He has a tendency to overact. He reminds me alot of Harrison Ford in the sense that you always know it's Tom Cruise cause he acts the same in everything. I think I might be in the minority here but I really really liked Signs and I thought it was fantastic the way it stayed with one family through the whole ordeal and took the "less is more" approach that Spielberg helped make famous. War Of The Worlds seems to try and do all of that plus everything else. Am I right? haha what do I know, I haven't seen it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyI predict that, come Wednesday, this will be the new Best Movie in themodernage's signature.
almost!  damn, but when it comes down to it i still think i liked batman a little more.  this is probably tied with star wars as #2/#3, (even with its flaws).  

not sure what my problem is lately but i cried through the whole movie.  it might've been because of the 9/11 parallels but it has happened during all kinds of weird movies, (like in batman when bruces parents get killed?)  weird.  anyway, i have a problem.  so i enjoyed it as much as one can enjoy something so harrowing.  i've heard that the lack of humor was a problem, but it's hard to see where would've been an appropriate place to put it in this survival story.  

maybe it's just hard to approach this story and make it have the proper impact because all the newness is gone from the many iterations of the story and movies of this kind.  though i think the berg's take on it certainly showed M Night or Emmerich/Devlin how its done.  the scene with the car was just awful.  interesting to see Spielberg reveal the sometimes ugly nature of humanity instead of everyone helping each other and pulling together in a time of crisis out like one might expect.  but this was definitely more true to the real chaos that something like this would cause.

the movie really seemed to lack plot and everything conventional in favor of a 'just stay alive' sort of randomness.  i see how it works for this version but it wasn't really what i was expecting.  still, i prefer Minority Report and A.I. personally, but this was pretty great for what it was.   so a minor disappointment but overall pretty damn good.  not a total miss but missed the bullseye.  A-.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: thadius sterlingIt's way better than independance day. And if you think this is his worst movie you obviously haven't seen 1941

1941 is still better than The Terminal.

Pozer

It's funny cause at the premier, I was sitting near Will Smith. I kept looking over at him wondering if he was thinking, 'damn, this puts my movie to shame.'

He kinda had that look on his face.

Finn

Saw it tonight. It was incredible! First-rate performances and special effects. It was very intense and realistic. Pure Speilberg.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Tictacbk

saw it tonight...blew me away...

spoiler..

fucking awesome special effects and action, followed by fucking awesome scenes of horor/sadness (the bodies floating down the river) and panic (the mob scene with the car) followed by fucking awesome scenes of adventure.

i have never disagreed more with ebert i don't think.  when he said he'd of rather seen a world destruction scene like that in The Day After Tomorrow i wanted to throw up.  I think what spielberg does best here is focus on 3 characters the entire time.  There is no figuring out how to destroy these things, there is no contacting the president or following a character in the army.  That is what raises this above something like independence day.  Its a movie about  3 characters surviving.

Gamblour.

This movie fucks your head with the special effects. There's not much talking either, everything is shown. I could write a paper on the way this movie treats class issues as well as humanity. It's both incredibly optimistic and incredibly cynical. This movie has me so interested, I think I might write a paper on it. It's really interesting.

SPOILERS~~!!!~!#@#$!

When the aliens attack with the heat ray, and Tom Cruise is running away......one of the best sequences Spielberg's ever done. The mob getting the van....so bizarre and scary. The flaming train. The velociraptor camera things. Tim Robbins. The airplane. Terrorists. Crazy. The kid should have died, however.
WWPTAD?