Sin City

Started by metroshane, March 16, 2004, 06:57:43 PM

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

meatball

i'm being called a troll? look back on your own post history cine and marvel at the sheer volume of jackass statements you make in response to other member's serious posts. i don't know if you get a kick out of being an ass, but you've been doing it for quite a while now. you have even more fun with your sidekick pubrick.

while i throw out a few cockroach comments and gasp.. im the worst thing on this board. nice.

cine

wow did you really waste that much time going through my old posts? cool.. i gotta say i'm pretty flattered you care that much to defend your idiocy by reading my posts from 2 years ago.

i dont know what your deal is around here but in case you haven't been paying attention, pete has been running circles around you, owning you everytime you think you're saying something worth reading. is this some grudge you've got with him cause you thought his hunter s thompson anecdote was in bad taste -- and then everyone bashed you for being a moron?  just curious about that. and then your only post in your own defense was talking about cockroaches.

arguing with you is beyond pointless because you've already proven you're being a troll -- stating you could care less what happens on this board didn't help your case.

hah.

Ultrahip

cinephiles avatar is mr. t though, and he could kick all your asses, so there, bitches.

vespa (i hate segways - hahahahahahah!)

SIN CITY

del toro was at his wildest since the dr. gonzo days, but not wilder. however, i loved him and his crazy grins and devilish eyes.

marv  definitely had the best line in "know it's pretty damn weird to eat people".

elijah continues his awesome string of flicks since lotr, this one following eternal sunshine. i love you, elijah. PTA should do something with elijah. have him be an oil speculator or something.

was that nicky katt who got the arrow through his chest and said "heeeey"? sure sounded like him.

cowboykurtis

elijah really annoys me - I cant look at the kid - i just think of him as that annoying little hobbit and then it ruins the moment
...your excuses are your own...

Ultrahip

too bad you can't get what I'm getting from him, because baby, it's gold.

Tryskadekafobia

Yeah, that was Nicky Katt with the swastika on his forehead with the weird gravedigger from Kill Bill Volume 2.

modage

Quote from: TryskadekafobiaYeah, that was Nicky Katt with the swastika on his forehead with the weird gravedigger from Kill Bill Volume 2.
i thought that was probably the funniest moment in the film.  although marvs narration when he's beating everyone up and swimming away from his car is pretty funny too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatball

I'm just content knowing that my life doesn't revolve around this board, "bashing" and "owning" and "trolling" anonymous strangers on this board, and then being proud of the fact.

Cine, I didn't waste my time looking at your old posts.. but whenever I see a new post of yours it's always a useless, smart ass comment that does nothing but temporarily satisfy your own self esteem.

pete

psst, the "what the hell are you doing this here on the internet" line only works against people who are dumber than you.

hey that reminds me, Meatball, what the hell are you doing this here on the internet?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

deathnotronic

Not to change the subject, but can any specify exactly what Bruce Willis's character says after he beats the shit out of the yellow bastard and rips his balls off, etc?

B.C. Long

My feelings towards this film are hard to explain. Because this is clearly groundbreaking filmmaking. But I feel like I only saw pieces of the puzzle. The movie just felt so fragmented to me. All the performances were nothing short of incredible, except maybe Jaime King. Some of her lines fell completely flat. There's no build-up to any of the action sequences. While every character died before you had enough time to care about them, which is partly due to cutting out a lot of scenes from the comic (Or it's because the source material wasn't that great in the first place. I haven't read the comics in a while). But the super-stylized filmmaking really helps mask all that.

I really wish Tarantino would of been able to adapt this with free-reign. He would of been able to handle all the cheesy things and made them totally work. (i.e. Kill Bill)

I can't even begin to understand why they got Tarantino to direct that small segment. It wasn't anything special. It was a scene anyone could have directed. To be honest, I think the only reason that happen was to slap Tarantino's name onto the marketing package so people would go "Oh Tarantino! I'm seeing this!". It was more like "Hey, for a Million Dollars you film this 5 minute scene and then we slap your name on the trailer." Totally using his likeness to sell the movie.

Maybe I'll like the Uncut DVD better or this might be a comic book that just can't be adapted. I don't know what it was, but the violence just became overkill after a while. It just become senseless and meaningless.

I'm disappointed. I really wanted to like it.

Raikus

Quote from: B.C. LongI can't even begin to understand why they got Tarantino to direct that small segment. It wasn't anything special. It was a scene anyone could have directed. To be honest, I think the only reason that happen was to slap Tarantino's name onto the marketing package so people would go "Oh Tarantino! I'm seeing this!". It was more like "Hey, for a Million Dollars you film this 5 minute scene and then we slap your name on the trailer." Totally using his likeness to sell the movie.
It happened because RR and Tarantino are friends. RR wanted to show off the HD and digital film and asked Tarantino to come down. And he paid him $1 to do it, the same amount QT paid RR to compose music for Kill Bill.

I'm sure having QT's name on the movie didn't hurt, but with all of the trouble RR went through to get Frank Miller's directors credit, I find it hard to believe it was a purposeful move just due to marketing.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

deathnotronic

I thought RZA from Wu Tang composed the music for Kill Bill?

Raikus

It was during the shooting of this second part that Rodriguez's pal Quentin Tarantino stopped by for a visit. Rodriguez had written some of the music for Tarantino's "Kill Bill: Vol. 2 " for only one dollar, and Rodriguez offered Tarantino the chance to direct a sequence of "Sin City" for just a buck.

For Miller, it was just more icing on the top of an already scrumptious cake. "All three of us share a pop culture sensibility and a macabre sense of humor so it was a good match. We were like three kids in a tree fort having a ball."

Tarantino, who is more of a fan of film than of digital cinema, knew that Rodriguez's use of digital technology was perfect for "Sin City" after seeing some test footage. "It was my first view of what this world was like and I thought 'oh my God' they're actually doing the cityscapes and the silhouettes which I just love and all the lighting, the camera angles - everything. I was interested."

And so Tarantino, for the tiny price of a single buck, directed the scene featuring Dwight driving down the highway hallucinating that a dead Jackie-Boy is taunting him. But, according to Tarantino, the price will be higher next time. "It'll be a two dollar bill after this."  Tarantino is listed as a "special guest director" on the film.

Source article is linked here.