Irreversible

Started by Ghostboy, February 19, 2003, 12:14:16 AM

Ghostboy

I agree completely; you want to help her so badly in that scene, and seeing that bystander turn away makes it so much more upsetting.

Here's the link to my review: http://www.road-dog-productions.com/irreversible.html

edison

So heres my first post :lol:    i didnt see a topic for this and this is one of my fave films that i have seen this year. I really cant wait till August when this comes out on DVD. For those that have sen it, what did you think? i loved it, nevermind the going backwards thing which Memento did before, i saw this using that technique in a better way with this film. great work from all three actors and im looking forward to seeing more of Noe's work, i still need to see I Stand Alone.

Edit: there you happy now?

SoNowThen

I dunno about the movie, 'cause I haven't seen it... but I LOVE your avatar!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

maybe you didn't find a post about it because you didn't spell it right

edit:  Haha, yes.
I like to hug dogs

modage

umm i didnt like it.  it WAS probably without contest the most disturbing movie i think ive ever seen.  so i guess it wins that award.  it wanted to push buttons and it was successful at that.  but overall i just didnt think it was that great.  in memento there was a reason for the movie to play backwards.  to put the audience in the mindset of Leonard.  when he sees someone he doesnt recognize (even though he's seen them before), neither do we.  who are these characters?  it wasnt a Whodunnit, but a Whydunnit.  and it worked, well.  
this the backwardsness was just there as an annoyance.  fucking with the audience (which was the whole point).  by telling a story of rape and revenge, with the superviolent revenge coming first without any knowledge of why and then the end of the movie leaves you at a happy place only to really know that the horribleness lies ahead with the message that TIME DESTROYS ALL THINGS.  he made this movie for controversy.  he made it to piss people off and to see what people could stomach.  he didnt make it for people to enjoy.  when i first saw it i thought it was complete shit.  but after i continued to think about it, i will go ahead and say it was 'Okay'.

(i dont think that the true nausea experienced in the theatre from the camera movements and the soundtrack will be appreciated in the comforts of ones home and television as well as it was in the theatre.)

by the way, i think its a little weird that you are eagerly anticipating THIS movies release on dvd.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: EEz28I Stand Alone.

I Stand Alone is very good.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

I can't stop looking at your avatar.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02

by the way, i think its a little weird that you are eagerly anticipating THIS movies release on dvd.

It's creepy to focus on Bellucci's "hotness" in this context, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: themodernage02

It's creepy to focus on Bellucci's "hotness" in this context, too.

agreed. as i pointed out on this thread as well.
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

ok, lets see, since im getting fucking slammed here

1. i want this movie on dvd bc i liked it, it was something different and was pretty interesting minus the rape.

2. the hottness of Bellucci is only enjoyed from the party scene back(or towards the end i guess you could say), and not during the rape scene.

Ghostboy

I know what you're talking about, EEz. I want to get it too, although mainly because I want to hear the commentary track. That's the only way I could sit through it again.

I won't say anything else about the film, because I've already gone into it in depth in the other thread. But what is your avatar from? It looks so familiar...

edison

i got it from another message board, so i dont know where they got it from, very nice isnt it? :-D

MacGuffin

Details on the August 5th release of the highly-controversial indie hit Irreversible: Lions Gate Home Entertainment will present the film uncut and unrated in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and French Dolby 5.1 surround, plus an audio commentary by director Gaspar Noe, deleted scenes, the "Stress & Outrage" and a special effects featurette, a short film by Noe, a still gallery and trailers. Retail is $26.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

heres a site i found on noe, but its in french

pete

I read somewhere that the goal of this film, or the concept, is to structure like a backwards exploitation film--show the horrible "payoff" ie. the sex and the violence in the beginning and the setup after that, so the setup becomes a contemplation and "payoff" becomes true horror due to the lack of dramatic tension.  this is a beautiful theory, but the reality is that it's still an exploitation film, depending on the controversial scenes to sell the tickets, and the "contemplation" is just scene after scene of very long, superficial, indulgent, improvised dialogue of yuppies talking about sex, with some "postshadowing" here and there.  the characters are so annoying and boring and the style is so pretentious (the "gritty" camerawork is way too flashy for its own good) that they wear out whatever goal they were originally intended to achieve.  in the end, exploitation film played backwards is still exploitation film.
it's like that film "vixen" in which is kids the sex expoitation film convention at the time by playing the first half of the film like a skin flick with the sensationalized taboo sex and all, then the second half the characters just sit down and begin having serious political discussions.  it was made as a cinematic joke and criticism of the exploitation films, irreversible took itself way too seriously for any criticism to take effect.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton