Irreversible

Started by Ghostboy, February 19, 2003, 12:14:16 AM

SoNowThen

Quote from: peteABOUT MALENA!
first of all, Belluci gets raped in there too, but you know, in a traditional, erotic kinda way.  Secondly, if you wanna watch this film, GET THE ITALIAN version.  The American version has cut out a lot of very very hot scenes, SO FREAKING HOT!
Oh yeah, Belluci was totally topless and made out with two other chicks, along with Keanu Reeves, and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

How does one get the italian version, and is it even out on r1?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Henry Hill

Thanks for the heads up guys. So NEON...my better judgement would be to see it? I probably will just to see what all the fuss is about.

billybrown

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: peteABOUT MALENA!
first of all, Belluci gets raped in there too, but you know, in a traditional, erotic kinda way.  Secondly, if you wanna watch this film, GET THE ITALIAN version.  The American version has cut out a lot of very very hot scenes, SO FREAKING HOT!
Oh yeah, Belluci was totally topless and made out with two other chicks, along with Keanu Reeves, and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

How does one get the italian version, and is it even out on r1?

Not sure about how to get the Italian version, but it is available on R1.

i'm curious about something.  so,

to the people who enjoyed it:
have you ever been robbed?  with a weapon? a knife, a gun...
context, context, context.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: chuckhimselfoi'm curious about something.  so,

to the people who enjoyed it:
have you ever been robbed?  with a weapon? a knife, a gun...

Nope. I see where you're going, but explain for me what you mean specifically so you don't call me on assuming things.

because i think the film works better if you have been robbed, at least.  i haven't been robbed so i wouldn't know, that's why i asked...

pete

I was mugged once and another time a drunk dude on the train who kept on offering me sex tried to follow me home one night, but I still didn't like irreversible.
I still don't see the correlation.  I don't think hostages will enjoy Die Hard more than a 16-year old kid.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

it's a very delicate terrain,  that of  mixing personal experience with movies.  Like  being a schizofrenic and watch A Beautiful Mind. say.

Chest Rockwell

Family Activists in Australia Protest French Film

The critically praised Irreversible, often described as part of the current wave of French "shock cinema," is facing the possibility of being shut down in Australia following protests by family- and religious-activist groups, who object to a nine-minute rape scene. The Australian Associated Press quoted the Rev. Fred Nile, founder of the Christian Democratic Party, as saying: "The high impact of the violence in this film was so great that large numbers of people walked out during screenings, despite being warned of the content in advance." But Dean O'Flaherty, acquisition manager for Accent Film Entertainment, which is distributing the film in Australia told AAP: "It is not just the film we are in the position of defending, and this is not just about banning one film, this is about an attack on freedom of speech and freedom of artistic expression."

Pedro

Quote from: Chest RockwellFamily Activists in Australia Protest French Film

The critically praised Irreversible, often described as part of the current wave of French "shock cinema," is facing the possibility of being shut down in Australia following protests by family- and religious-activist groups, who object to a nine-minute rape scene. The Australian Associated Press quoted the Rev. Fred Nile, founder of the Christian Democratic Party, as saying: "The high impact of the violence in this film was so great that large numbers of people walked out during screenings, despite being warned of the content in advance." But Dean O'Flaherty, acquisition manager for Accent Film Entertainment, which is distributing the film in Australia told AAP: "It is not just the film we are in the position of defending, and this is not just about banning one film, this is about an attack on freedom of speech and freedom of artistic expression."
fuck all that.  i thought it was sexy.

Finn

why am I not surprised
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Reel

I can't stop thinking about it. I wish there was more discussion in this thread, cuz I know a lot of people love Noe here. It's been ten years so there's no reason not to be spoilerific. This film absolutely requires a second viewing to fully understand the 3 main characters' plight. I couldn't make it all the way through it again, though. I still have images in my head that need to be erased before I can do that. The most striking statement I took away from it is that there is no real justice for these people and the perpetrator gets to live on unpunished while the 3 victims suffer a much worse fate. It's so unfair! The fact the El Tenia is just a made up character makes it even worse. You'd think that Noe would use his control over the characters destinies to make sure that the audience witnesses a retribution for his crime, but the point being made here isn't that there is good violence and bad violence, or that an eye for an eye is the way to handle this type of situation. The point is that there are people in this World who do horrible things and don't have to be held accountable for their actions, and that "Revenge is never a straight line. It's a forest, and like a forest it's easy to lose your way ... to get lost ... to forget where you came in." - Hattori Hanzo

Pubrick

i think Gaspar Noe had a really really really bad trip once and has never got over it.

also, he's right.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

that's a great quote, and really is all the inspiration you need to write a film.

I'd love to talk about this film more as it's the only Noe film I've liked. Sadly I haven't seen it in over 5 years. But I'll watch it again if you do and we can start shooting the breeze.
the one last hit that spent you...