The greatest New York movie ever?

Started by kotte, November 16, 2003, 08:49:16 AM

kotte

My choice is 25th Hour. Even though I'm not a real New Yorker this film is so fucking New York for me. I love New York and this film represents everythign I love about it.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SHAFTR

I voted for Annie Hall, although I think Scorsese films need to be on there.

EDIT:  Annie Hall gets the nod over The Royal Tenenbaums for me b/c although Tenenbaums is shot and located in NY, it still feels like it's a different New York.  In Annie Hall the fact that they are New Yorkers is important.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

kotte

yeah, I know Scorsese's a true New York filmmaker...kinda forgot him.

His films doesn't have me longing for New York though...

ElPandaRoyal

I voted (any other Woody Allen film) because MANHATTAN is the best film about NYC. Like it or hate it, it's all about loving the city.
Si

Alethia

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumI voted (any other Woody Allen film) because MANHATTAN is the best film about NYC. Like it or hate it, it's all about loving the city.

almost exactly what i was going to say

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: mogwaii think spike lee did a brave and amazing job.
That's without any doubt. I loved the movie and definately would place it among the best movies about New York. I just love that this is a city that inspired so many different films from many directors. I mean, look at the Woody Allen New York, the Scorsese New York, the Spike Lee New York, Wes Anderson New York... they don't have much in common (well, Spike Lee's and Scorsese's have something, but anyway...)
Si

Duck Sauce

Im going to say Woody Allen is the king of NY

Gold Trumpet

I'm continually surprised to how large the complements for The 25th Hour are. I must say I didn't even like it. The movie is a portrait of a man facing the end of  his life and meeting all his frustations head on, but really, the movie is very relaxed. When Norton's character stands in front of the mirror and allows his "third face" to act out all his aggression and basically cuss out every race of people, I didn't feel that anger. Nothing in the movie suggested he had anger towards those people at all. Also, the structure feels way too casual to really address the situation. The movie really isn't of specific scenes going for specific things, but of scenes that begin with a situation and continually wander for an over extended period of time. By the time it feels the point of the scene is made, the scene continues on and makes the same point over and again. This also speaks for the movie feeling too relaxed with the anger Norton has inside of him.

classical gas

I say Manhatton or Taxi Driver.  One loves the city, and one hates it, so they both play huge parts.

Redlum

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetNothing in the movie suggested he had anger towards those people at all.

That's because he didn't, not really. He was just looking for a way to justify what has happened to him, when really its only his own fault.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cine

Quote from: classical gasI say Manhatton or Taxi Driver.  One loves the city, and one hates it, so they both play huge parts.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Both perceptions of NYC are presented passionately for their respective extremes and I can't decide which one I would choose: the positive or the negative.

Banky

I think 25th was the best film of the year and deserved much more praise than it got.

But as far as this thread goes, how could you leave out The Ghostbuster Movies?  They are the perfect NY movies.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ®edlum
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetNothing in the movie suggested he had anger towards those people at all.

That's because he didn't, not really. He was just looking for a way to justify what has happened to him, when really its only his own fault.

And the cause of his outburst of anger, honest or not, was his frustation with what was happening to him in his life. Where was the feeling of that in the movie? The movie was too relaxed for his situation to be felt or or become tragic.

Pedro

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: ®edlum

And the cause of his outburst of anger, honest or not, was his frustation with what was happening to him in his life. Where was the feeling of that in the movie? The movie was too relaxed for his situation to be felt or or become tragic.
Stop it.  We're talking about how wonderful new york is.

if you wanna contribute to that discussion (again) go here