The Fog of War

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 21, 2003, 03:23:44 AM

Weak2ndAct

Errol Morris fans, be on the lookout for this one.  It's one of his best films, and the anti-war film that Michael Moore wishes he could make.  A powerful indictment of the American war-machine, but not in-your-face with a sledgehammer agenda (if that makes sense).

The story: basically, it's a 90 minute interview with Robert McNamara, chronicalling his life and the wars he's took part in.  I was worried I was going to be bored by one talking head, but oddly enough, it works.  Really interesting stuff.

Cool tidbits: the reality of the firebombing of Tokyo, and hearing how big of a cocksucker LBJ was (Morris got his hands on previously unheard White House tapes, good stuff).

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

pete

just saw it.  it's insightful about the humanity, it's informative about parts of 20th century world history, AND it's moving.  Not very many movies can achieve all three at once.  There have been a number great movies that only achieved one or two of those things, but dude, this movie is AWESOME.
can't think of too many things wrong with this film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Find Your Magali

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, but not at all optimistic it will come around here.

MacGuffin

'Fog' lifts for Morris, docu world

"It's a mixture of curiosity and apprehension," said the quixotic documentary auteur Errol Morris of what will be his first-ever trip to the Oscars next month for his and Sony Pictures Classics' "The Fog of War." "It hasn't yet grown into out-and-out fear." In 1988, Morris' groundbreaking documentary "The Thin Blue Line" was named best documentary of the year by the National Board of Review, the National Society of Film Critics and the New York Film Critics Circle. But the film failed to win an Academy Award nomination, an oversight that angered many of its champions. Now, 16 years after that big Oscar diss -- Morris docus that have also been overlooked include the critical darlings "Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr." and "Fast, Cheap and Out of Control" -- Morris has finally been welcomed into the Academy fold. "Fog" is a portrait of former Secretary of State Robert McNamara, one of the architects of the Vietnam War.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

It's about time. Of all the Morris films I've seen (and of all the docs nominated this year), this is easily the best.

The Big Lebowski

I can not wait to see this film next month when it comes to minneapolis.  It looks great.

MacGuffin

Columbia have today announced the documentary The Fog Of War which only last night won the Best Documentary award at the Oscars. The disc will be available to own from the 11th May this year, and should set you back around $26.96. The documentary itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with an English Dolby Surround track. Extras will include twenty-four never before released additional scenes and lessons as well as previews of other films that may interest you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

The praise has been simple thus far on this thread and I can't offer much more. Its a great film of insightful commentary and abstract filmmaking.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

artfag

I enjoyed this much more than I have enjoyed most other documentaries.  Great job to those involved.

Finn

Terrific documentary!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

cine

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Quote from: El Duderinowhen does it come out?

Go up seven posts.

Skeleton FilmWorks