Love Actually

Started by Gloria, October 20, 2003, 08:11:34 PM

pinkerton310

As cliche` as it may sound, I have been a Natalie Portman fan since I saw The Professional when I was 12 or so. I couldn't believe it when I was told there was a girl that looked just like. Natalie says one day she may become a doctor or something and stop doing films. She would be missed, but her doppleganger here can carry the torch....in terms of looking EXACTLY like her.  So visually Natalie may not be missed. It's a little early to tell if Keira's acting is up to par. (Forgive Natalie for George Lucas's bad writing in the prequels)
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: pinkerton310As cliche` as it may sound, I have been a Natalie Portman fan since I saw The Professional when I was 12 or so. I couldn't believe it when I was told there was a girl that looked just like. Natalie says one day she may become a doctor or something and stop doing films. She would be missed, but her doppleganger here can carry the torch....in terms of looking EXACTLY like her.  So visually Natalie may not be missed. It's a little early to tell if Keira's acting is up to par. (Forgive Natalie for George Lucas's bad writing in the prequels)

Keira is hotter than Natalie... and she has a british accent... grrr... we've already covered this! :)

Ravi

I'm not seeing the Keira/Natalie connection here.  They don't look alike.

ono

Quote from: RaviI'm not seeing the Keira/Natalie connection here.  They don't look alike.
Maybe this thread will change your mind.

Ravi

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: RaviI'm not seeing the Keira/Natalie connection here.  They don't look alike.
Maybe this thread will change your mind.

I'm sure if you put white makeup on any two people they will look alike.  Maybe if I see the two of them rasslin' in Jell-o...

modage

i had no interest in this movie whatsoever, until a few people here started talking about it like it was one of this fall/winter's movies to see, (ghostboy, ono, gt, etc) which almost made me interested in it.  but, this kind of turns me back around...

LOVE ACTUALLY
2 Stars Rolling Stone

One movie, ten love stories -- only half of them funny. [Director Curtis] ladles sugar over the eager-to-please Love Actually to make it go down easy, forgetting that sometimes it just makes you gag.

but before i decide whether i will actually drag my girlfriend to this, what is the point of interest here for you folks?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

I loved this movie so much because when watching it, I couldn't help but have this huge smile on my face the whole way through.  It starts off a bit clunkily with the bit of the musician, but quickly, that part becomes one of the most charming, especially as far as his relationship with his manager goes.  Yes, the movie is extremely saccharine, but I forgive it because it never gets cheesy, and it never goes for the easy answers in its relationships, and not everyone is happy at the end of the film.  It's surprising that Rolling Stone was so hard on this film considering how lenient it is in most of its other reviews.  But I just loved everything about it.  Even Hugh Grant.  Heh, especially Hugh Grant, really.  And I disliked Bridget Jones's Diary, and haven't even seen Notting Hill.  The film just finds so many different ways to portray love, and all of them are so compelling.  The humor is always there, as is the heartbreak.  Some of the most unique relationships are portrayed, and...

SPOILERS.
...there are even a few apt cameos by Shannon Elizabeth, Denise Richards, and Claudia Schiffer.
END SPOILERS.

It's not normal for me to express such appreciation for a film with not as much artistic merit as other films I'd normally praise.  But this film tells so many stories so well, and while one of the gripes is it spreads itself too thin, I don't see it, and I felt like I cared for and knew most if not all of the character in the film.

Fishbulb

Peter Travers from "Rolling Stone" never likes anything that is too commercial, or Hollywood, or sentimental and (at times) sappy like this movie definitely is. He only likes artsy-fartsy movies or independent ones. And he loves sex in movies. Seriously. If you ever read any of Traver's reviews, he will always mention any sex scene in a lurid way, almost like he's some kind of pervert or something. Like I haven't read his review of "Love Actually", but I bet he loved the stand-in naked couple bit.

The "point of interest" for seeing this movie is that it's a good movie. It's well-written and well-acted. And you don't have to "drag your girlfriend" along....it's good enough that you will enjoy it without worrying about it lowering your testosterone level or anything.

pinkerton310

First of all, I swear the last few movies I have seen ran the Love Actually trailer. The more I see the trailer, the more I don't want to see it. I am also not a big fan of Hugh Grant. Come on...Mickey Blue Eyes? The only film I liked him in was About a Boy. I thought it was a stretch from the other characters he has played. He always seems to play the same guy over and over....boring.  Just my opinion (Sorry Hugh Grant lovers) And also Nick Hornsby rocks so...I could look past Grant's shortcomings in that film, although he wasn't bad (I think it was the gelled hair and the T-shirts).  And I understand he is not carrying this film, but just the same.
     Although Keira Knightley is hot, she won't be a factor. I do like Laura Linney. Loved her in Truman Show and You Can Count On Me, however, Laura alone won't get me there. So...barring four star reviews or my fiancee' dragging me to it (which she has already threatened) it will not be seen by me.  If it can't be avoided I will have to suck it up and hope it is not as gay as I think it will be. Who knows...I may enjoy it.  :shock:
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

Ghostboy

If you don't like the trailers, don't see it. Me, I loved the trailers and I pretty much loved the movie too. It's pure comfort cinema, designed purely to make audiences happy, and it succeeds marvelously. It's kinda funny how sloppy it is -- any one of the stories could have been axed with no effect on the movie as a whole, and some of the more compelling ones are just left hanging without any resolution at all -- but it's just so cheerful and high on love that, even though it's entirely superficial (spread too thin is an apt criticism, and it makes Notting Hill look like Lost In Translation, depth-wise), it gets you emotionally involved. If you go with a date, you'll probably end up making out for a while in the car. If you go alone, you won't feel so lonely afterwards.  If it's cold out, it'll warm you up. You get the point. I bet GT will hate it, though.

edison

Theres also a lot of naked people in it, more than i ever though there would be.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: EEz28Theres also a lot of naked people in it, more than i ever though there would be.

Well, it IS british after all... so nudity wouldn't be so bad... although, if they also have bad teeth, then forget it!

Finn

I liked it okay. I thought some of the stories weren't necessary and a lot of the humor has been recycled from one British movie after the other. What I didn't expect was that the movie had a lot of heart and really moved me more than what I was expecting. Overall, a good movie.

Great poster!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Brilliant film. The film embraces romantic movie cliches and put a fresh spin on them. I especially loved the Colin Firth story where the two are speaking the same language, but aren't. The pacing was fine in not staying too long on one plot. The use of music was perfect and it's use of "God Only Knows" was more relevant here than in "Boogie Nights". Performances were great across the board, and the cameos were a nice touch. It's great to finally see Emma Thomson on the big screen again. And I'll take Martine McCutcheon over the overrated Keira Knightley anyday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

yeah, it seemed like God Only Knows was just kinda thrown in Boogie Nights.....so they do it justice? if i ever get a film done i'll give Brian Wilson his due
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.