What did you see this weekend?

Started by Teen Wolf, September 29, 2003, 12:02:24 PM

Teen Wolf

What did you see this weekend -- in theatres and/or at home?

I saw:

1)Before The Rain
2)Before Sunrise

Some thoughts.... Before The Rain I had seen twice before, several years ago. I noticed a lot that I didn't notice on my previous viewings. The movie is comprised of three sections. The second one is appropriate - it fits within the context of the story, but it feels like it was directed by someone else, certainly not the same guy who masterfully handled the first and third sections. The middle section feels slightly amateur-ish, the way the scene was constructed. It is still a great movie nevertheless.

This was my first viewing of Before Sunrise. First off, let me say I liked the movie. It was enjoyable - good characters, great dialogue. Also, the fact that the movie is set in Vienna made it more enjoyable for me to watch as I have been there essentially doing the same thing Ethan Hawke's character was doing.

Sigur Rós

1) The Wedding Singer ........Sandler is a funny man
2) The Straight Story   .........Watched this together with Phil and his tv signal is crappy so that ruined it!
3) The Hudsucker Proxy .......I was half a sleep most of the film but the scenes I remember were great.

Find Your Magali

Watched "Jason and the Argonauts" with my mom. Still a very fun movie.

Then, I finally, finally watched "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" on DVD. Rockwell's performance blew me away, but I'm mixed on the movie as a whole. I want to hear Clooney's commentary, and then I'll post my full comments in the appropriate forum.

Raikus

Lost in Translation on Friday night. Pure Bliss.
The stomping of Duke by FSU on Saturday night. Pure Bliss.
On the Waterfront on Sunday night. Pure ironic bliss.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

In theatres:
Anything Else
The Rundown

At home:
The Conversation on IFC - It was on last night, and since nothing else was on, I watched that.
Battleship Potemkin - I own it, so I felt the need to watch it again.
Aguirre, The Wrath of God - I love it so much and the DVD is amazing quality.. I watch it pretty often.

***beady***

On sunday I saw 'once upon a time in Mexico'.

Pwaybloe

Finn

Stanley Kubrick:A Life in Pictures, The School of Rock, The Rundown
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

samsong

half of...
Last Year At Mariendbad
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
... (high) school drains me of all my energy

Lost in Translation (second time)
Scarface @ the cinerama dome in hollywood... oh GOD, so good.

godardian

Anything Else.

Wanted to like it more than I did. Better than the last two Woodys, but nowhere near Husbands and Wives/Hannah territory. On a regular scale, I give it a 6/10; on a Woody scale, a 3 or 4/10. Biggs is an uneven actor at best, and I wish Ricci, much as I do like her, hadn't just coasted on her usual put-out sexpot routine.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

lost in translation
doom generation
assault on precinct 13
day of the dead
may

kotte

The Fellowship of the Rings
25th Hour
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
Hero
Tigerland

coffeebeetle

QuoteI wish Ricci, much as I do like her, hadn't just coasted on her usual put-out sexpot routine.

My God man, go easy on her!
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

godardian

Quote from: coffeebeetle
QuoteI wish Ricci, much as I do like her, hadn't just coasted on her usual put-out sexpot routine.

My God man, go easy on her!

I actually think I was... I mean, I though they were both fairly blah performances, but it was also a fairly blah script with some fairly blah direction and camerawork. I really liked the "frozen moment," however.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

coffeebeetle

Sorry godardian.  Kneejerk reaction.  

I'm dying to see her in Prozac Nation though, and not just because of the alleged sex/nudity.  I also thought she was excellent in The Man Who Cried (with a knockout cast too IMO).  Have you seen?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)