What did you see this weekend?

Started by Teen Wolf, September 29, 2003, 12:02:24 PM

Ghostboy

I saw In My Skin this weekend, which isn't all that satisfying, dramatically (the narrative seems to stop two thirds of the way through the movie), but is worth seeing just for the squeamish factor, which is delightful. And if you think French women mutilating themselves is sexy, you defintiely shouldn't miss this.

Then I theater hopped into Calendar Girls for about thirty minutes, long enough to figure out everything that had and would happen in the rest of the movie (and also to catch the random cameo by Anthrax); then I skipped into the movie I REALLY wanted to sneak into, which was Japanese Story. It was mostly beautiful, mostly very good, but it lacked the subtlety that would have made it really great. Imagine if you had heard what Bob said at the end of Lost In Translation and it had been incredibly sappy...that's sort of what this movie is like. Those of you who thought Lost In Translation was good but way too understated (I don't understand you, by the waY) will probably love this one, and it's good enough for me to recommend it to everyone else as well. Toni Collette is marvelous in it.

I also saw Run Ronnie Run on DVD. Pretty damn funny. That asian kid was crazy.

godardian

I've always liked Toni Collette, but thought Japanese Story did, indeed, look sappy.

Speaking of Colette, saw a trailer for a movie with her and Nia Vardalos. It's for a movie where they play drag queens. I don't have high hopes for it, but if there's nothing else or I happen to catch it on video, I wouldn't mind, even if just for Colette.

The trailer was before The Dreamers, which I saw this weekend and have been raving about all afternoon and will continue to do so 'til my throat's dry and everyone just wants me to shut up (I'm sure you all know the feeling  :)  ).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

I've managed to miss every advance screening of The Dreamers, and was heartbroken to discover that it wasn't opening in Dallas this weekend, as I had anticipated, and that I now have to wait until NEXT Friday to see it.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: SHAFTRI saw

Kentucky Fried Movie
and
Deathstalker

Whoa. Best...weekend...ever.

I definitely want to attend your film festival.  :-D

you saw Deathstalker!!!
alright, let everyone know how good it is.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

bonanzataz

Quote from: godardianSpeaking of Colette, saw a trailer for a movie with her and Nia Vardalos. It's for a movie where they play drag queens.

are they playing women impersonating men, men impersonating women, or women impersonating men impersonating women?

i saw ratcatcher this weekend. and spy kids 2. i was going to watch barton fink, but didn't have time.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: taz.are they playing women impersonating men, men impersonating women, or women impersonating men impersonating women?

Trailer here.

Premise: Two traveling female dinner theater singers, Connie (Vardalos) and Carla (Collette) are (somehow) forced to go undercover and disguise themselves as drag queens while performing in Los Angeles (Stephen Spinella plays a West Hollywood queen/chanteuse; David Duchovny plays a guy searching for his drag queen brother who becomes Vardalos' "romantic interest" along the way).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: taz.
Quote from: godardianSpeaking of Colette, saw a trailer for a movie with her and Nia Vardalos. It's for a movie where they play drag queens.

are they playing women impersonating men, men impersonating women, or women impersonating men impersonating women?

i saw ratcatcher this weekend. and spy kids 2. i was going to watch barton fink, but didn't have time.

I hope you'll share your impression of Ratcatcher somewhere... the Morvern Callar thread would be fine, probably.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

bonanzataz

right here would be a fine place, too.

well, i've just turned into a lynne ramsay fan, officially. i just enjoy the way she can create situations that are totally believable, and though sometimes you can't sympathize with what her characters are doing, you can always empathize with them. for example, in morvern callar, morvern takes advantage of her situation in a way i would never do. do i agree with what she's done? no. but i completely understand why she did it. i really like the way that she can make a movie's running time seem to fly by because it just seems like you're floating through the world that she's created - ratcatcher especially. her movies are never condescending, she never is pointing things out to her audience or making things feel over important.

i do, however, think that the short films included on the ratcatcher dvd were a bit stronger than ratcatcher itself. i really do have to see it again. after it was over i kind of just forgot a lot of what i saw. maybe that's part of the beauty of it. after a lynne ramsay film is over, it's not the situations that endear to your memory, it's the characters.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Chest Rockwell

I saw Triplets of Belleville (again) and Amelie on DVD.

Ernie

I saw "The Dreamers". It's the best film I've seen this year even though which may not be saying much cause I've seen only so few but with this and "Once Upon a Time in the West", I am officially a Bertolucci fan. The man is a genius.

godardian

Quote from: ebeamanI saw "The Dreamers". It's the best film I've seen this year even though which may not be saying much cause I've seen only so few but with this and "Once Upon a Time in the West", I am officially a Bertolucci fan. The man is a genius.

:)  Glad you liked it. I think I actually feel the same way about it, though since the year is sooooo young it's a bit premature, but: Yes, The Dreamers is the best film of 2004. Circa February.

modage

argh, torn emotions.  keep going back and forth between being interested or not in seeing The Dreamers.  its only playing 10 block away, but i've yet to go to the theatres in 2004.  should this be first?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

What's there to be torn about?  I can't wait to see it myself.

modage

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaWhat's there to be torn about?  I can't wait to see it myself.
i dont think i'll like it.  but others praise makes me want to see for myself.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

I finally saw Chasing Amy this weekend. Kevin Smith's films have walked the edge of good & bad with me, so going into it I was a bit iffy. I thought the movie, overall, was good though. I enjoyed it. However, there were times where I was, for the lack of a better word, "embarassed" to watch it. It's mainly during those highly emotional moments where, IMHO, bad acting prevails (specific scenes are Alyssa's breakdown in the rain and at the hockey game).
I just hated those parts. Everything else was fine with me and Jason Lee is the greatest part of that movie.

I also saw Amelie, again, this weekend. This time with the commentary. Jeunet is quite entertaining!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.