Matchstick Men

Started by filmcritic, September 13, 2003, 12:40:50 AM

filmcritic

Great movie! Ridley Scott did a great job and Nicholas Cage is probably going to get an Oscar nomination off of this. Really solid writing...and the ending is gonna blow everyone away.

Also...look out for Melora Walters as Cage's ex-wife.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Derek237

I have to see this movie! I'm a huge fan of both Nick Cage and sir Ridley Scott. I saw the press conference on TV during TIFF coverage and it looks very interesting....

Anachronism

I can't wait for this flick either, much like you both I am a huge Cage fan. I think there are few actors who can pull that whole spontaneous kinetic energy thing that Nic can and coupled with eye jerking nervous ticks I can only stab at what hilarity must ensue. I was actually watching "Kiss of Death" the other day and was so re-enthused with his work that I rushed out and rented a whole slew of Nic Coppola flicks, and let me tell you what a treat. I had forgotten gems like "Trapped in Paradise" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." Anyhow I hope this film makes me laugh.

RegularKarate

Quote from: filmcritic..and the ending is gonna blow everyone away.

Man, I hate when people say this...

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: filmcritic..and the ending is gonna blow everyone away.

Man, I hate when people say this...

Yeah, because you start suspecting a lot and try to figure it out and then you do figure it out and it doesn't blow you away
I like to hug dogs

filmcritic

In that case, don't try hard and let the plot unfold as it comes.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

RegularKarate

Quote from: filmcriticIn that case, don't try hard and let the plot unfold as it comes.

Dude, it's too late

picolas

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: filmcriticIn that case, don't try hard and let the plot unfold as it comes.

Dude, it's too late
never too late for a blow to the back of the head! you know. the remembering part! tJE part WITh Mememmmeemmmmooooo.

Cecil

thats why i dont read threads about films i havent seen yet

cine

Dear god. Hope this doesn't spoil people's expectations about filmcritic's comments but the ending won't BLOW EVERYONE AWAY. I just saw it tonight.. its Ridley Scott's best movie, one of Cage's best performances.. but really.. before anybody comes on here and says "fuck filmcritic.. what were you talking about with the ending?"
It's a great film and just enjoy for what it is. filmcritic is exaggerating. Hope I didn't spoil anything.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cinephile.it's Ridley's Scott's best movie..

I seriously doubt it in fact this film looks weak...but  i haven't seen it yeet either.so don't give me the "you can't remark about a film you haven't seen"...b/c some things i know.... personally every trailer that i have seen and liked i have been pleased to enjoy the film its self..for me the trailer is the best telling sign...(look at Radio)...everyone seems to bash it w/o seeing it ..you just know certain things ....as for his best film..he already achieved that and most likely won't top it ..it's called Blach Hawk Down..way under-rated  IMO...

Quote from: Cinephile"fuck filmcritic..what were you talking about with the ending?"

i wouldn't say that ..that s mean.... :wink:

Pubrick

yeah i was wondering what happened to geena davis.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Quote from: Pyeah i was wondering what happened to geena davis.

I WAS GONNA FUCKING SAY THAT!
now I'll just say, touche!
FUCK, THAT WAS SAID TOO!

edison

Pretty good flick, reminded me a lot of House of Games though. I dont think Nic will get a Oscar nomination, maybe a Golden Globe.

Finn

Good movie, but I didn't think the ending was surprising. Nicholas Cage is the man!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."