The Big Lebowski

Started by kotte, August 27, 2003, 09:27:19 AM

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumNot  my father

theoretically yes...a hard-on proves willingness to engage in hard fucking...

But my feeling is that Ed has a hard-on when he listens to beautiful music. Music gives him hard-on. Not Birdy. And you can't fuck music. Not even in a Coen brothers film. That would just be wrong...
Si

kotte

I'm a simple man...I just think he has the hots for Birdie. Can you blame him??

SoNowThen

he totally has the hots for her. and she delivers, and then he doesn't take!! Silly Ed...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: kotteI'm a simple man...I just think he has the hots for Birdie. Can you blame him??

Well, I have the hots for Birdie and that's why I wouldn't say "Heavens to Betsy" or whatever the father figure says when she wants to give him a blow job.

By the way, does anybody now what exactly he says? That's just because by not having English as a native language I don't know if "Heavens to Betsy" mean anything and I'm not really sure if that's what he said. I think he actually said that and my guess is that it doesn't mean shit. I might be wrong, though...
Si

kotte

Quote from: SoNowThenhe totally has the hots for her. and she delivers, and then he doesn't take!! Silly Ed...

Real men do NOT turn down a good blow...but I think it shocked him...and the fact that the boner wasn't actually a part of the character...just a gag Billy Bob pulled...though the Coens didn't seem upset...

coffeebeetle

Sorry to hop in on this conversation a little late, but it was just too fascinating to let slip away: Do we know if Ed actually has a boner when listening to Birdie?  Did any of you see it?  I mean, maybe she's the one source of passion remaining in his otherwise dried-up stalk of a life, which is why he's so driven to help her succeed...plus the fact that he does turn down her offer for a "flute lesson" cements the idea of a plutonic interest in her.  That's just my two cents.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

SoNowThen

oh yeah, he's got it, BBT talks about it in the commentary.

And, Royal Tenenbaum, "heavens to Betsy" is just an old expression, kinda like "oh my!!"... essentially a shocked reaction.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Find Your Magali

I say "Heavens to Betsy," "For the Love of Mike," "Holy Stromboli" and cheesey stuff like that all the time. Especially during the day shift, when normal people work and I'm not supposed to curse around them.

But once they night shift kicks in, it's F--ks Away!

SHAFTR

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY.  THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ElPandaRoyal

Hey, thanks for the Heavens to Betsy explanation guys. That's just about what I thought it meant.

And yeah, Billy Bob talks about that boner in the commentary and how only him and some props guy knew about that and the fact that the Coens didn't even know Ed had a boner until Billy Bob talked about it in the commentary. Maybe it's Billy Bob Thornton who gets boned while listening to music naturally... that would explain something about... well, I'm not the kind of guy who talks about this kind of thing. I'm just glad coffAngelinacoff is free again :twisted:
Si

kotte

Ethan knew about it...I think someone told him on set...I still think Ed's horny...the car incident confuses me though.

ElPandaRoyal

I bet you didn't get anymore confused than Birdy.
Si

kotte

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumI bet you didn't get anymore confused than Birdy.

I don't think she knew about Eds hornyness...but maybe she did...female intuition is like a pair of eyes on the back.

It's amazing, Ed is crazy for not wanting to receive oral treatment. Reverse it and Ed would still be the maniac for wanting to give Birdie the same thing...It's a gender thing...eh...

ElPandaRoyal

I don't think she knew about Eds hornyness...but maybe she did...female intuition is like a pair of eyes on the back.

It's amazing, Ed is crazy for not wanting to receive oral treatment. Reverse it and Ed would still be the maniac for wanting to give Birdie the same thing...It's a gender thing...eh...

Ed is just a strange gentleman.
Si

kotte

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

Ed is just a strange gentleman.

Emotionally empty...