monster squad

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 11:46:03 AM

tpfkabi

I'm going to write a letter.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

i just wrote mine.  its going in the mail monday.  i dont think its going to happen but i would pay 100$ for a really good SE with commentaries and those 13 minutes of deleted scenes put back into an alt cut of the film.  seriously. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

I mailed a letter not too long after the screening/ain't it cool business.

No word on anything yet?

Pwaybloe

Yeah, they released it not too long ago.  Did you not get it?  It's awesome!

tpfkabi

i was hoping they had released some kind of statement saying they got a lot of letters and would consider doing something about it.

MacGuffin

Lionsgate to Release 'Monster Squad' 20th Anniversary! mod creams his pants
Source: Bloody-Disgusting news

One of our new favorite horror mags, HorrorHound Magazine, just scored some amazing info this afternoon - Lionsgate Home Entertainment is working on a special DVD release for Monster Squad, which is slated for release sometime this year. The DVD will not be bare bones as the plan is to pack the 20th anniversary release with extra features. More news as it comes in and don't forget to pick up the next HorrorHound, which features a special retrospect on the film. Dracula is alive. In fact, he plans to rule the world and that is why he seeks the help of other legendary monsters. However, a bunch of kids regarded by their peers as losers uncover the devious plan and prepare for a counter strike. "Wolf Man has nards!"

http://www.horrorhound.com/news/newsview.aspx?g=11&f=11&t=65&p=138
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 14, 2007, 10:32:57 PM
Lionsgate to Release 'Monster Squad' 20th Anniversary Because Bigideas Writes Letter!

sweet!

RegularKarate

I guess now I'll have to throw out my bootleg DVD.

MacGuffin

DVD producer talks MONSTER SQUAD disc
Source: Fangoria

At the just-concluded Monster-Mania convention in New Jersey, Fango sat down with DVD honcho Michael Felsher, who was there getting interviews and more with Fred Dekker and the reunited cast of the director's 1987 cult fave THE MONSTER SQUAD. Having created special features for THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, MANIAC COP and more via his Red Shirt Pictures company, Felsher graduates to DVD producer with MONSTER SQUAD, a long-awaited home release coming from Lionsgate later this year. While an exact street date and content details have yet to be finalized, Felsher tells Fango, "The plan is to do a new transfer in the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It has never been presented that way in North America; it was transferred on high-definition a couple of years ago, and that looked great, but it was in 1.78:1. So the new one will be 2.35, and Fred is very anxious to make sure it's presented properly.

"And there will be plenty of extras; here at Monster-Mania, we just completed an audio commentary with Fred and three members of the Monster Squad, Andre Gower, Ashley Bank and Ryan Lambert." Fango was privileged to sit in on the recording, a highly entertaining trip down memory lane for the grown-up SQUAD-ers; a panel discussion with the quartet and creature actors Duncan Regehr (Dracula), Tom Noonan (Frankenstein's monster) and Tom Woodruff Jr. (Gillman) was also taped for the disc. "I'm shooting a series of featurettes here that will be on the DVD as well," Felsher continues. "There are plans for other stuff, but since we're still going back and forth on what else will be on the disc, I don't want to say anything else right now."

The producer goes on to relate that the key reason for SQUAD's delay hitting DVD had to do with "a long, tangled rights history with that picture over the years. It was part of a catalog that was bought up by another company that then became part of this company that became part of another company that became part of a huge conglomerate, and it got kind of buried. A lot of people think that studios don't care about these titles, but sometimes they just don't know, they have no idea; it's just layer upon layer of catalogs. So I followed the catalog that MONSTER SQUAD was a part of, and it ended up at Lionsgate. I spoke to one of the marketing people there and sent them a proposal, and said, 'Look, the 20th anniversary is coming up, there have been screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse and elsewhere around the country; there's a great awareness of this movie right now.' The Lionsgate people are extremely into the genre, so they were very much interested and aware of the film, and they were excited about it and said, 'Sure, let's see what we can do.'

"One of my favorite calls of all time," Felsher adds, "was right after the deal was signed, calling Fred Dekker and saying, 'Guess what, Fred?' Because he would get calls over the years from people saying, 'I want to bring out MONSTER SQUAD.' 'Well, where are the rights?' But I was able to tell him, 'Fred, it's coming.' He's very excited about it, and has been such a great, enthusiastic supporter of this project, making sure that if you had to wait 20 years for a MONSTER SQUAD DVD, it's gonna be worth it." As for when fans will be able to pop it into their players, Felsher says, "I can't speak for Lionsgate as to what their plans are. Obviously their intention is to have it out, I would think, before Halloween. But they haven't made any official announcement, so I'm not really at liberty to say."

One obvious question following from all this MONSTER SQUAD discussion is: What about a disc of Dekker's equally highly regarded debut feature, 1986's NIGHT OF THE CREEPS? "That's owned by another studio," Felsher explains, "and it's one that I've worked with before, and I've been on the phone pestering them about it. It's almost like a subliminal every time I call over there—'Hey, how's it going over there NIGHT OF THE CREEPS?' 'So how's that project coming NIGHT OF THE CREEPS?' [Laughs]

"So I keep mentioning it and throwing it in front of them, and I'm hoping at some point that one of two things will happen: That they'll realize there's a market for this film, or maybe they'll just do it to shut me up! I believe it's eventually going to happen; there's a new transfer that has aired on the Monsters HD network which looks wonderful, so they've got a new hi-def version sitting there. And of course Fred has his preferred ending that everyone seems to know, and that's another title where if the button was pressed, there's a lot of stuff. So I don't believe we're going to have to wait another 20 years to see a decent version of NIGHT OF THE CREEPS, though there are no plans at this particular moment."

Felsher is, however, deep into another exciting DVD project involving a different '80s genre favorite; check back here tomorrow for the scoop on that one, and see him at this weekend's Chicago Fango con for more exclusives and details!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I downloaded this around Halloween, and it wasn't as good as I remember it being. The version I downloaded was really crappy. A straight VHS rip. Maybe if it's a better version.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Final 'Monster Squad' Specs, Cover Art Revealed
Source: Bloody-Disgusting

Apparently the old news was a little premature as we've just received the final "approved" specs for Lionsgate's Monster Squad 20th Anniversary DVD release, which will hit retailers on July 24. Inside you'll find the specs, along with the final DVD cover art. Count Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, the Wolfman, the Mummy and the Gillman – adjourn to earth in search of a powerful amulet that will grant them power to rule the world. However, a bunch of kids regarded by their peers as losers and outsiders uncover the devious plan and prepare for a counter strike. Now, our heroes - the Monster Squad - are the only ones daring to stand in their way.

The 1980s cult classic, The Monster Squad, makes its long awaited DVD debut with a "monster-ous" 20th anniversary edition. To pay tribute to this true fan favorite, the 2-disc set will be featured in collectible foil o-card packaging and is loaded with extra features, including a five-part retrospective, classic interviews, deleted scenes, commentaries and much more!

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Monster Squad Forever! – A five-part retrospective featuring new interviews with writer/director Fred
Dekker, actors André Gower, Ryan Lambert, Ashley Bank, Duncan Regehr, Tom Noonan and more!
• A Conversation with Frankenstein – A never-before-seen classic interview with the Monster himself!
• Deleted Scenes
• Audio commentary with Writer/Director Fred Dekker and "Squad Members" André Gower, Ryan Lambert
and Ashley Bank
• Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Fred Dekker and Director of Photography Bradford May
• Original Theatrical Trailer and TV Spot
• Stills Gallery
• Newly Mastered 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio

Cover art:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/8808

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah i could not be happier about this.  incredible.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks