monster squad

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 11:46:03 AM

modage

has anybody else seen this fucking awesome 80s movie?  it was like goonies with monsters (atleast thats probably what they sold it as), but i grew up with this thing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Yeah, used to watch this all the time when it was on tv. I remember there being a hot blond 80's chick, and there's a scene where they need a virgin for some ritual, and she has to bow out. It was funny...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Rudie Obias

oh hell yeah dude!!  i wanted to join the monster squad so badly!  what do i mean "wanted"?  i still wanna join!   :-D
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pwaybloe

Hell yes!  The obligatory "tough guy" was pretty cool when he took out those female vampires with his bow.    

Does anyone remember what movie the main character would watch on top of his hill, facing down the drive-in?  Can't remember.

RegularKarate

"WOLFMAN'S GOT NARDS!"

modage

so many classic lines...

creature stole my twinkie.

mummys in my room.

dear army guys, come quick, there are monsters, eugene.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cowboykurtis

oh, the memories -- this gives me the same tingly feeling i get when i think about the flight of the navigator
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

If sources are correct, the DVD will hit streets on 10/28.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

i remember bits and peices of this movie from seeing it when i was very young, i remember being very sad becuz - doesn't somebody's dad become a werewolf or something and they have to shoot him?

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinIf sources are correct, the DVD will hit streets on 10/28.

best news ever.  i cant wait.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: cowboykurtisoh, the memories -- this gives me the same tingly feeling i get when i think about the flight of the navigator

COMPLIANCE!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

modage

Quote from: ewardi remember bits and peices of this movie from seeing it when i was very young, i remember being very sad becuz - doesn't somebody's dad become a werewolf or something and they have to shoot him?

the dude that becomes a werewolf isnt anybodys dad in the movie but it is sad when he gets shot because he turns back into himself and says "thank you".  classic.  (recently he was in Northfork,  me to girlfriend in theatre "wolfmans got nards!")  also sad, when frankenstein after making friends with Phobe the Feeb, has to go away in the portal at the end.  

i really really hope they use the poster art, because its great.  its on the video i have (sans the tagline, which was instead "call them for a monster-ous good time).

its not like theres any stars faces to blow up but there are probably rights issues to use the artwork which they wont want to pay for,  which will result in a shitty cover.  fingers crossed for an extra of any kind.

jokerspath

Quote from: themodernage02it was like goonies with monsters

I loved the hell out of this movie in my youth.  I recently rewatched it and was not into it nearly as much.  If and when this comes out on DVD, someone please watch Goonies, then MS and see how badly they ripped Goonies off.  I want to love them both, but I just can't...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

MacGuffin

Confirmed:

On October 28th, Pacific Family Entertainment will release Monster Squad. Alas, Pacific Family is not a distributor known for their quality, but retail is only $14.95 a pop.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

hey macguffin, do you know if this actually came out? cant seem to find any listing for it on amazon or anywhere.