monster squad

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 11:46:03 AM

Stefen

Where is this dvd? The release date has come and gone and it doesn't seem to have been released.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02hey macguffin, do you know if this actually came out? cant seem to find any listing for it on amazon or anywhere.

Quote from: StefenWhere is this dvd? The release date has come and gone and it doesn't seem to have been released.

I guess it was pushed back, but till who knows when. Maybe the owners of the rights put a hold on it.

In the mean time, look at this.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i just watched this again tonite (although i've seen it about 1000 times since my dad brought me to see it in the theatres when i was about 5 years old), and i just wanted to extend my recommendation to anyone who went to see Van Helsing because they really WANTED it to be good.  if you have not seen this movie, please seek it out.  

its not perfect, but its really worthwhile. if the concept of getting a couple of the big universal monsters together in one movie appeals to you, this is for you.  the monsters are all great, and totally respectful of/true to their origins.  stan winston does the great makeup here and there are tons of little nods to the old movies (unlike van helsing which is completely unrecognizable as having ANYTHING to do with them outside of the opening sequence).  its smart, hip (for the times) and funny and still manages to have some scares.  how the hell THIS low budget 80's kids movie managed to be better than a $150 million universal studios summer tentpole i have no idea.  if anyone wants to discuss it further on why i think its a great movie, ill be happy to.  now where the hell is the dvd?

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

for some reason i've had this movie in my head recently.
the only part i remember is them kicking the werewolf in the balls.
i want to say it's in the middle of a street at night where they've probably put water down because i seem to remember light reflecting off of it.
maybe this part was in the trailer as well.
it was just one of those movies that i saw when my mom would rent a bunch of movies on weekends.
too bad i can't see it.
it seems the same fate is for the Wizard with Fred Savage and Jenny Lewis. a friend and i were talking about it last week.
i guess the advent of chain rental stores like Blockbuster, etc have cleared out mom and pop video stores, so these are no longer for rent on VHS. these movies were probably sold really cheaply when their stock was bought out, and unfortunately have not been released on DVD. it's shame when so much worse crap has been.
(unless bootleggers are getting really good)
no idea which is the way to go.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: bigideasthe Wizard with Fred Savage and Jenny Lewis.

Is that the one about the video game genius with the mario game and the flute? I remember that movie.

modage

Quote from: bigideasthe only part i remember is them kicking the werewolf in the balls.
i want to say it's in the middle of a street at night where they've probably put water down because i seem to remember light reflecting off of it.
fat kid kicks wolfman in the nards when they are trapped in draculas house because frank is buried under some boards and dracula and his vampire brides are blocking the other exits.

all those on ebay are bootlegs, there has been no official release.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance
Quote from: bigideasthe Wizard with Fred Savage and Jenny Lewis.

Is that the one about the video game genius with the mario game and the flute? I remember that movie.

yes. it was how Nintendo introduced Super Mario Bros. 3.
Jenny Lewis is now the lead singer of Rilo Kiley.

about Monster Squad:
i found the trailer through imdb.
i think i was confusing it with the part where the guy is shooting the bow.

why do you think they're saying THX Remastered and 5.1?
how can someone fake that?
or maybe its not so much fake, but lying.
i'm guessing you still have an old VHS copy?

p.s. i e-mailed one of the ebay guys and asked.

soixante

It is Shane Black's finest work (save for Last Boy Scout).
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

Filmmaker Fred Dekker is appearing at Alamo Downtown screenings of Night of the Creeps on Saturday 4/15 and The Monster Squad on Sunday 4/16.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 14, 2006, 02:36:14 PM
Filmmaker Fred Dekker is appearing at Alamo Downtown screenings of Night of the Creeps on Saturday 4/15 and The Monster Squad on Sunday 4/16.

In case anyone was wondering, that's in Austin.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 14, 2006, 02:41:04 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on April 14, 2006, 02:36:14 PM

In case anyone was wondering, that's in Austin.
i know.   :cry: :yabbse-cry: :cry:

tpfkabi

i was hoping this was a dvd release news item
=(

i still really really want to see it, but not 4 hr drive want to see it.

modage

if it were at all possible i would've considered flying in for it.   :shock:

Brazoliange

thanks modage, this thread made me download this to relive the memories of watching this too many times when I was 5
Long live the New Flesh

modage