Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

PaulElroy35

I recently  read a few articles from a few months ago that kept mentioning his new film is a an ensemble piece.

However on the cast list theres not ma y name. Now obviously  a huge cast could be revealed but don't think that's the case.

Was his just some rumour that people started or does someone have the inside scoop?

pynchonikon

Quote from: Mattbish19 on April 30, 2021, 04:35:10 AM
I recently  read a few articles from a few months ago that kept mentioning his new film is a an ensemble piece.

However on the cast list theres not ma y name. Now obviously  a huge cast could be revealed but don't think that's the case.

Was his just some rumour that people started or does someone have the inside scoop?

Last summer there was a leak (if you go some pages back in this thread you can find it) which mentioned a couple juicy roles beyond the student-child actor that the early synopsis suggested.
This scoop got the closeted politician part right (it turned out that's the role Benny Safdie will play), so there was a reason to believe it was legit.
Also there have been assumptions about some actors being involved in supporting roles (including Sean Penn who was seen on set) that aren't officially revealed yet.

We won't be totally sure until MGM does a formal press release or industry insiders start to share their thoughts about it.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: pynchonikon on April 30, 2021, 05:17:12 AM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on April 30, 2021, 04:35:10 AM

Last summer there was a leak (if you go some pages back in this thread you can find it) which mentioned a couple juicy roles beyond the student-child actor that the early synopsis suggested.
This scoop got the closeted politician part right (it turned out that's the role Benny Safdie will play), so there was a reason to believe it was legit.
Also there have been assumptions about some actors being involved in supporting roles (including Sean Penn who was seen on set) that aren't officially revealed yet.

We won't be totally sure until MGM does a formal press release or industry insiders start to share their thoughts about it.

Oright i see so yeah a bit up in the air untill we get more info.

How long before a PTA release do me normally get the fall cast listing.

I only asked before because I know phantom thread inky had a couple noticable  names it still had a lot of other people cast while soggy bottom just has the main for and a handful of glorified  extras. I would be really suprised if no one else was in it.

Also I read on a post mary Elizabeth ellis did on instagram where she mentioned working on the film and I can imaging that just being a random jokey comment. So of shes in it hay could be a sign theres more to come.

WorldForgot

Well, Jillian Bell was cast in The Master and featured for a scene in Inherent Vice so I don't think Mary Elizabeth Ellis' casting iz too far fetched. But, yeah, I'm excited if this iz a Linklater-style cast of lowkey youngsterz for the majority.

Alma

One of the articles about the production (a Collider one I think?) mentioned that he was casting quite a few comedians - I don't know if that's true as it wasn't mentioned anywhere else but it would tally with the Mary Elizabeth Ellis thing.

HoQTeMR4

Skyler Gisondo has been added on imdb.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: HoQTeMR4 on April 30, 2021, 12:19:57 PM

Oh yeah your right. Dunno what to think about him his face weird me out everytime I see it haha

Alma

I liked him in Booksmart. I guess he's playing a high schooler here as well? He looks pretty young.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Alma on April 30, 2021, 12:46:33 PM
I liked him in Booksmart. I guess he's playing a high schooler here as well? He looks pretty young.

It says Actor under his name so maybe he plays a fellow actor on a show or film cooper Hoffmans character  works on same could go for nate mann and Joseph cross characters.

wrongright

A pretty lame, boring cast tbh. Is it smart to even release this wide, let alone on Christmas day? What's the draw here? Bradley Cooper in a small role? Meh.

Tdog

Quote from: HoQTeMR4 on April 30, 2021, 12:19:57 PM

Oh great he's awesome! Really liked him in The Righteous Gemstones and Booksmart!

Yes

I'd love for him to work with as many major stars as possible but a new movie will always be an event and look at how Vicky Krieps and Katherine Waterston surprised us.

wrongright

Quote from: WorldForgot on April 30, 2021, 01:51:07 PM
Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 01:12:09 PM
A pretty lame, boring cast tbh. Is it smart to even release this wide, let alone on Christmas day? What's the draw here? Bradley Cooper in a small role? Meh.

Do you go to the cinema only for stars?

No, but it's a significant part of it for most moviegoers. I'm surprised that MGM would throw $40 million at this and release it wide on Christmas with no stars in the lead roles from a director whose films aren't audience-friendly.

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 03:14:01 PM

No, but it's a significant part of it for most moviegoers. I'm surprised that MGM would throw $40 million at this and release it wide on Christmas with no stars in the lead roles from a director whose films aren't audience-friendly.

They're releasing it wide after a month of limited release to build word of mouth and Oscar buzz. It's going to do months of festivals before opening in theaters and will use the Oscar buzz to compensate for lack of stardom.

PTA doesn't breakout at box office anyway. And MGM will release it onto streaming in like Feb anyway

wrongright

Quote from: BigSock on April 30, 2021, 03:33:34 PM
Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 03:14:01 PM

They're releasing it wide after a month of limited release to build word of mouth and Oscar buzz. It's going to do months of festivals before opening in theaters and will use the Oscar buzz to compensate for lack of stardom.

PTA doesn't breakout at box office anyway. And MGM will release it onto streaming in like Feb anyway

We don't know yet whether this will have much Oscar buzz. And like you said, his films don't breakout at the box office anyways, which is why I'm surprised.