Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

jviness02

Quote from: pynchonikon on April 20, 2021, 02:46:41 PM
Some additional info via Indiewire

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/paul-thomas-anderson-oscar-season-release-dates-1234631660/

QuoteWhile the film's reported working title is "Soggy Bottom," UAR confirms the movie is still without an official theatrical release title.

Phantom Thread was officially only a working title really late in the process and he even said they just decided to keep it. Kind of expecting the same thing to happen here.

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on April 20, 2021, 02:52:54 PM
No JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi?

I suspect Sellar and Lupi might have been with the project during prep and early principal photography--but that something changed a couple of weeks into filming.  Or, they were never with this production and IMDB is just wrong.  Anderson and Murphy can definitely be considered Producers and very likely Somner as well.

itwasgood

I think Ghoulardi's being involved means Lupi & Sellar's being involved? The ProductionList site also still lists Lupi and Sellar as producers of this film.

Drill

According to IMDb, Sara Murphy was PSH's assistant on quite a few of his films.

I'm not sure I like the idea of him dumping Sellar/Lupi. I guess this is going to be another major shift (especially if Greenwood also isn't scoring it).

PaulElroy35

What makes people think sellar and lupi arent involved theres like nothing to say they arent ?

Do people just go of hear say and just spread that as factual news?

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on April 21, 2021, 12:28:13 AM

I thought she produced some of the music vids too?

Alma

Quote from: Mattbish19 on April 21, 2021, 07:28:21 AM
What makes people think sellar and lupi arent involved theres like nothing to say they arent ?

Some of the articles about the film only mentioned Sara Murphy producing (I think the ones about it moving to MGM) and presumably they got that from somewhere. But yeah I suppose that doesn't mean that Lupi and Sellar aren't.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Mattbish19 on April 21, 2021, 07:28:21 AM

A couple people here visited the set quite a bit, and reading between the lines I'm guessing they did not see Sellar and Lupi on set.

Drill

Quote from: wilberfan on April 21, 2021, 07:52:19 AM
Quote from: Drill on April 21, 2021, 12:28:13 AM

I thought she produced some of the music vids too?

Looks like it. Assuming they don't all overlap, it seems like he assembled his music video crew and did a feature film.

Starting to think this will be his most accessible, "fun" film since BN, perhaps ever. And I usually roll my eyes at the people who always say "getting BN vibes!". But I really am now. :lol: I guess it would reflect his current sensibilities (i.e. he seems way more into Haim-esque pop lately than artsy Radiohead/Joanna Newsom stuff). And that would make my hunch that Greenwood not being the right fit for this possibly true.

pynchonikon

I want to believe they wouldn't choose these release dates, in the heart of an already very stuffed season, unless they have sth truly special upon their hands. November 24th is the announced date for the US wide release of Gucci, which also makes me wonder about the distribution/campaign plans of MGM.

To me the biggest mystery concerning the crew remains the editor.

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on April 21, 2021, 11:51:09 AM

An excellent point.  Tichnor would be thrilling, but anyone else would be kind of exciting to learn about as well.

wrongright

I want to believe they wouldn't choose these release dates, in the heart of an already very stuffed season, unless they have sth truly special upon their hands. November 24th is the announced date for the US wide release of Gucci, which also makes me wonder about the distribution/campaign plans of MGM.

Gucci has the better release date. Thanksgiving wide >>> Christmas wide. This shows me again that Gucci is MGM's #1 priority.

I doubt this will be like Boogie Nights. The ceiling for this is probably 1-2 Oscar noms, which MGM will be fine with as long as Gucci is the big hit it's shaping up to be.

kingfan011

Quote from: wrongright on April 21, 2021, 12:11:52 PM

Gucci has the better release date. Thanksgiving wide >>> Christmas wide. This shows me again that Gucci is MGM's #1 priority.

I doubt this will be like Boogie Nights. The ceiling for this is probably 1-2 Oscar noms, which MGM will be fine with as long as Gucci is the big hit it's shaping up to be.

Completely correct. I would love this to MGMs #1 priority but its simply not when they have a Ridley Scott film with Adam Driver and Lady Gaga

Yes

MGM has their hands full with not only a major priority like Gucci but the Joe Wright Cyrano which opens limited Dec. But what's good news is how confident they are in this and that is what matters. PTA is the most overdue living director alive at this point and has the immense respect and legacy to rack up Oscar buzz with any campaign or film.

pynchonikon

Quote from: BigSock on April 23, 2021, 08:06:32 PM
MGM has their hands full with not only a major priority like Gucci but the Joe Wright Cyrano which opens limited Dec. But what's good news is how confident they are in this and that is what matters. PTA is the most overdue living director alive at this point and has the immense respect and legacy to rack up Oscar buzz with any campaign or film.

Indeed, he's currently the most nominated filmmaker without win (0/8), followed by Wes Anderson (0/7) and Mike Leigh (0/7).
For the record, Scorsese won his long overdue Oscar on his eighth nomination.

I remain optimistic that unless this"ll receive mixed reactions from critics and the audience (the premise at the moment indicates this will be more accessible than his usual stuff), he"ll get another Screenplay nomination at the very least.