Let The Right One In

Started by modage, October 16, 2008, 11:09:28 AM

mogwai

now i can see a good reason why this is remade in english without any dodgy subtitles. :yabbse-smiley:

picolas

while the subs i linked to are the right translation, it will only sync with screener copies of the film... every piece of dialogue comes in a few seconds early.. is there a way to shift every sub over by a couple seconds in one command? otherwise it'll take a loooooooong time.

edit: i've noticed the international screener is 5 minutes shorter than the american blu. it seems like it's very slightly sped up.... this is really difficult.

Sleepless

Probably 25fps instead of 24?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Gamblour.

So, my friend saw this on dvd and totally loved it, and was confused only a little bit by the bad subtitles. He heard about how bad they were afterward, but wasn't disappointed with the viewing experience he had.
WWPTAD?

Pas

Quote from: picolas on March 26, 2009, 02:08:30 PM
while the subs i linked to are the right translation, it will only sync with screener copies of the film... every piece of dialogue comes in a few seconds early.. is there a way to shift every sub over by a couple seconds in one command? otherwise it'll take a loooooooong time.

with VLC it's very easy you can't miss the option the delay the subs when you load them ... pm me if you want a screenshot or something

Pozer

Quote from: Gamblour. on March 26, 2009, 08:58:32 PM
So, my friend saw this on dvd and totally loved it, and was confused only a little bit by the bad subtitles. He heard about how bad they were afterward, but wasn't disappointed with the viewing experience he had.

am i that friend? they were noticeably bad to me and the subtitle mishap was unbeknownst to me. found myself confused and rewinding. worse though were the dubbed English voices it was defaulted on. those were urgently switched to sinking subs.

still, it somehow managed to bewitch me, yada yada. . same way it did to Stefen and others.

polkablues

Apparently Netflix now has this available to watch instantly, complete with the original, non-shitty subtitles.  I will finally be seeing it very soon.   :yabbse-smiley:

EDIT: There seems to be something fucked up with the film's sound on Netflix.  I watched about ten minutes before deciding it wasn't just really, really avant-garde sound design, and there was actually something wrong with it.  I'll try again later and see if they've fixed whatever the problem is.
My house, my rules, my coffee

abuck1220

yes, streaming netflix has the good subtitles. i just watched it by simultaneously playing the blu ray i rented from netflix and the streaming netflix on my laptop...that way i could watch the beautiful blu ray and peek over to read the right subtitles.

yeah, i feel like a pretty big nerd.

RegularKarate

Quote from: abuck1220 on April 19, 2009, 12:44:48 AM
yes, streaming netflix has the good subtitles. i just watched it by simultaneously playing the blu ray i rented from netflix and the streaming netflix on my laptop...that way i could watch the beautiful blu ray and peek over to read the right subtitles.

yeah, i feel like a pretty big nerd.

You know the Netflix version is a high-def stream, right?  If you have a device running it to your TV, it's not going to be quite as good as bluray, but it's damn good quality.

Alexandro

what they did with the subtitles it's a crime.

about the film itself, i enjoyed it and i get the praise, but it felt like it is a more engrossing experience as a book. a bunch of things felt...I don't know, just unexplored for lenght's sake.

spoiler
the bit about the father's friend (supposedly a child molester) is noe of the highlights of this problems for me, but i felt it all over. Never felt the main character was particularly neglected by his parents, and it would have been truly fascinating to learn more about the old guy taking care of the girl, their relationship, etc..

Overall I liked it, I admire it a lot, but it only makes me want to read the book.

MacGuffin

Before we sign off for the week, however, I do have one quick update for you on Let the Right One In. As we posted yesterday, Magnolia has finally re-released the Region 1 DVD version in the States with corrected theatrical subtitles, but a corrected Blu-ray version is still MIA here. HOWEVER, the good news is that if you love the film and you just can't wait for Magnolia to get its BD fix in stores... we're told that Momentum Pictures' U.K. Blu-ray release (available here at Amazon.co.uk for about $22 USD shipped to the States) DOES have the correct theatrical English subtitles AND it's an all-region disc, compatible with U.S./Region A players. Thanks to all you crafty/import-savvy Bits readers who sent us e-mails to let us know about this edition. Where there's a will, there's a way...

[EDITOR'S NOTE: We're now getting reports that the DTS-HD MA track on this import BD is defective, and that Momentum will have fixed copies available soon. Wait to order your copy until we've confirmed that fixed copies are in stock at Amazon.co.uk. Guess this film just had bad luck all around on Blu...]
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

a.santi

I saw this yesterday...

I liked it a lot. Even if i had read all of the comments and critics here, it didnt disappoint me at all... it had all the elements I expected from a vampire story, but the relationship between them..and the fact that they're kids was a nice twist...or turn of the screw..it somehow brouhgt that to my mind, kids and evil..you know...

The performances are great, I think the girl is awesome. Did you notice how much her face changes throughout the movie?
nice images too, loved the shots of the forest.
I understand if someone finds it a bit boring.  There's silence sorrounding the story, in the dialogues, in the images...but i thought of it as a way to highlight both main characters' personalities...or emotions.

It all works ok for me.

Stefen

In a fist-fight, LTROI would pwn those shitty Twilight saga movies. At the same time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

From thedigitalbits:

For those of you who have been eagerly awaiting Magnolia's revised U.S. Blu-ray version of Let the Right One In, with the English (Theatrical) subtitles instead of the mediocre translation on the original BD release, we have our first official sighting. Bits reader Mike L. just found a copy at a Barnes and Noble store in Evansville, Indiana, and he was kind enough to take pix of the packaging to prove it...

So it looks like the disc is finally out there. We'll let you know when we can confirm that Amazon has the fixed stock. And no, we don't know of any exchange program with the studio (but if we can get a response from them we'll let you know).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Finally today, Bits reader Michael D. e-mailed yesterday to say that he recently purchased a copy of Magnolia's Let the Right One In on Blu-ray from Amazon.com, and he received the corrected version with English theatrical subs. Which means the retailer now has them in stock, and you should have no problems getting your hands on a copy though them.

Skeleton FilmWorks