Let The Right One In

Started by modage, October 16, 2008, 11:09:28 AM

Bram

Oh, I'm sorry. I just don't seem to get sarcasm when it's written in another language. Espacially on forums.

w/o horse

Quote from: Bram on October 28, 2008, 12:59:16 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I just don't seem to get sarcasm when it's written in another language. Espacially on forums.

You'll never be wrong if you assume they're being sarcastic, I promise.

Seeing this tonight because samsong's review wasn't so harsh.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

'Cloverfield' helmer traces Swedish tale
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"Cloverfield" director Matt Reeves has signed to write and direct the horror remake "Let the Right One In" for Overture Films and Hammer Films. The Swedish horror film, "Lat den ratte komma in," about a bullied boy whose desire for revenge becomes intertwined with his growing love for a girl who happens to be a vampire, began showing at festivals at the beginning of the year. Hammer Films picked up the remake rights in May after the film won the best narrative feature award at the Tribeca Film Festival.

------------------------------------------------------------

EXCLUSIVE: 'Cloverfield' Director Matt Reeves Reveals 'Let The Right One In' Remake Details
Published by Josh Horowitz; MTV

Between "Twilight" and the critically hailed Swedish flick, "Let The Right One In," now is the time for angst-ridden teens and vampires. And you thought "The Loys: The Tribe" put a nail in that coffin.

By now you know everything under the sun about "Twilight" (if that's a pun, it's not intended) but you probably know less about "Let The Right One In". If so, get thee to an art house and check it out. Haunting and throughly unique in tone, it's a stand-out flick this Fall. And yeah, it's in Swedish, alright? Deal. Or don't. Because there is an English-language remake in the works and it's coming from "Cloverfield" director Matt Reeves. Ready to hear his take on the story? I chatted with Reeves the other day (he said he's at work on the script right now) and here's what he told me:

Will he change the time period and locale? "I'm keeping it in the early 80s. I love the setting of it being in a snowy locale. I've been thinking of Colorado, maybe Littleton."

On adapting the story for an American audience: "The movie and the book are incredibly Swedish yet there's something so universal about the tale of this kid and something that in the context of an American story could be completely different while being very consistent with the original story. There's something about it that can be an American mythic tale."

On his love for the source material: "It's a terrific movie and a fantastic book. I think it could be a really touching haunting and terrifying film. I'm really excited about what it could be."

On his personal connection to the story: "I had such a personal reaction when I saw the movie and when I read the book. I felt like there was an opportunity to do something incredibly personal while still being in a genre arena."

How he sees the story: "It's an amazing mixture of a coming of age story and a really scary horror film. It's touching and scary. It's an incredibly touching love story and a really scary vampire movie."

Through the eyes of a child? "I see the film as essentially being the fantasies of this 12 year old who's having such a hard time. It would never be that overt where you would watch the movie and say that's a dream but to me that is kind of an organizing principle."

The film may be his next directing effort: "Overture wants it as soon as possible. They would love me to do it next so that's what we're shooting for at the moment."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This was awesome, what didn't those of you who said you didn't like it didn't like about it?

It didn't fall victim to traditional vampire narrative potholes, it really gave new life to an abused genre. 

SPOILERZ

You have to admit, the way that the old man died, realizing he was useless once she fell in love with the young boy who would take care of her once she saved his life, led the boy to have to run away with her.  It's just like allowing yourself to be consumed with the seemingly undying or largely immortal concept of embracing violence (something sexless and appearing to be innocent) that also gives the boy, in a twisted way, hope to himself because of his dire surroundings.

Also, the concept of permission makes this movie even stronger.  Once you can allow yourself to love someone, then you don't need to resort to violence, but if they invade your space, then you can't be blamed for how you react in terms of survival.

I'll definitely be seeing this again to patch up some loose ends that I'm still wrestling with.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

This was beautiful. It was touching, horrifying, sweet, intense and above all else, amazing.

I think it works alot better as a coming of age story than it does as a horror film. The dynamic between Eli and Oskar leaves you smiling throughout the whole film.

Quite possibly my favorite film of the year.

Spoilers.

Having not read the book, I'm curious about the question of Eli's gender. I've heard that in the book the character is a boy, but in the movie all indications have the character as a girl except the one part where she's putting on Oskar's mothers dress and you can see a scar on her crotch. Can someone familiar with the book shed some light on this?

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

This was the best vampire movie I've seen in a long time. Man, just blown away. People have said all that I was about to proclaim so I won't go into details but man.....amazing shit!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 22, 2008, 10:29:26 AM
This was the best vampire movie I've seen in a long time.

There's no way its better than twilight.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Quote from: squints on November 22, 2008, 01:03:45 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 22, 2008, 10:29:26 AM
This was the best vampire movie I've seen in a long time.

There's no way its better than twilight.
Oh I know it is better than twilight...You'll read my review on that piece of riduculous shit very soon.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

that was just ok.  the kills weren't very scary and the coming of age drama was just ok, didn't feel very heartfelt.  the final twist is good, that's about it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

You're like a less eloquent GT.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Fellas, fellas, let's not say something we can't take back.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

nix

One of the year's best thus far. I haven't seen twilight, but I assume this is the thinking person's version of it (as indicated by the subtitles of course). This goes a long way to confirm that it's not so much about the story you choose, but the way in which you approach the material.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Gamblour.

Finally just saw this. I love the pacing of this film. It's wonderful to see films actually be visual in their storytelling. I agree with the positive things said here, especially it being the best vampire film. And I had not so much jumps as it was my blood curdling under my skin at scary moments. This was like the 'Elephant' of vampire films. Almost, kinda.

possible SPOILERS

What was the deal with the other guy at the kid's dad's place? Think I missed something.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

Quote from: Gamblour. on February 08, 2009, 11:16:08 PM
possible SPOILERS

What was the deal with the other guy at the kid's dad's place? Think I missed something.

Supposedly in the book, that guy is a child molester and molests Oskar. At least that's what I've read at the imdb board, but you know how those go.

Also, if anyone was wondering what the record was that Oskar plays when Eli gets out of the shower, it's "Kvar i min bil" and I can't find an MP3 of it ANYWHERE. If anyone else can, please send it to me.