Step Brothers

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2008, 09:41:23 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: July 25th, 2008 (wide)

Starring: Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Adam Scott, Mary Steenburgen, Kathryn Hahn

Directed by: Adam McKay

Premise: Two coddled guys live with their respective single parents. Their folks fall in love and marry, making the guys stepbrothers.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tictacbk

Its unfortunate when you like everyone involved with a movie but still find it hard to have remotely high hopes for it.

And I'm sick of hearing what the "guys" bringing me this movie have brought before.

Kal

That fucking poster looks like the 40 year old virgin... come on what now

Stefen

This trailer was so fucking stupid it was funny.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Score: Jon Brion wraps work on Will Ferrell's 'Step Brothers'

And that's a wrap: Today at Sony Studios in Los Angeles, singer/songwriter/composer/producer Jon Brion is expected to complete his scoring work on the upcoming Will Ferrell comedy "Step Brothers."

Word is he'll be conducting an 88-piece orchestra into the evening, but this desk job right here prevents an eyewitness account. Yesterday, the folks at The Playlist picked up on some other "Step Brothers" news, noting that some of the music was composed by Brion, Wilco experimentalist Nels Cline and Deerhoof drummer Greg Saunier. That nugget of info was apparently buried in a Deerhoof press release.

Before "Step Brothers," which was directed by Adam McKay and also stars John C. Reilly, Brion did some scoring work on the Paul Thomas Anderson films "Punk-Drunk Love" and "Magnolia." He also worked on Charlie Kaufman's "Synedoche, New York."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Love a Magician

having not seen a will ferrell movie in a couple years and thus not being totally burnt out on him, i am greatly looking forward to this retarded shit

Ravi

This is a funny, if slight, movie that's entertaining while watching it but nothing memorable.  I doubt even people who like it will have a great desire to rewatch it.  The humor mostly stems from variations on the following:

-Cursing
-Adults acting like kids
-Will Ferrell's douchey brother

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It was a good time, quite frankly.  The line of grown men acting like children as opposed to just being children is often blurred, and makes for quite an enjoyable experience.  It's not overly absurd, but it's also not too dry.  The Promotion also had a similar feel, which I also really enjoyed. 

Then again, I saw them for free.

SPOILER, maybe

It's almost all justified by Jenkins' end speech about pretending to be a dinosaur as a child.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

shock statement: this is will ferrell's funniest movie to date.

i went to see this tonight and i am going to strongly recommending it. it was really, really funny. since ravi is a comedy snob like i am, i need to pick apart his post and throw in my two cents.

Quote from: Ravi on July 25, 2008, 10:21:47 PM
This is a funny, if slight, movie that's entertaining while watching it but nothing memorable.
Spoiler: ShowHide
ferrell and reilly lying on the lawn the next morning with the dog cuddled beside them.. that had me crying for a few minutes. very very memorable.

Quote from: Ravi on July 25, 2008, 10:21:47 PM
I doubt even people who like it will have a great desire to rewatch it.  The humor mostly stems from variations on the following:

-Cursing
-Adults acting like kids
-Will Ferrell's douchey brother

sure, but i'm going to rewatch it because of how they explored those variations. there's cursing and i welcome that because it was a great departure from jokes that appealed to 13 year olds. i think there were maybe 2 moments in this movie that still did that.. but they still fit the context of "40 year olds who are acting like 10 year olds", which goes to ravi's next point. the whole movie is grounded in the reality that their behaviour is very unusual. its called out continuously throughout the movie.. so the movie doesn't treat us like we're stupid.

as for ferrell's brother, i think that was fun. the stuff with his wife was over-the-top ridiculous so it was funny.

going into the movie, i was thinking of how ferrell is making a series of movies similar to sandler.. dumb comedies appealing to kids with plots that leave us feeling stupid beginning, middle, and end. this movie is above those. it recognizes it's ridiculousness and, like Walk Hard, plays within those boundaries. thumbs WAY up, everyone.

Kal

this was really funny...

SPOILERS

the scene after during the credits with them beating the shit of the kids was priceless.

and 'stop being a fucking dinosaur and get a job'!

idk

Quote from: Cinephile on July 27, 2008, 05:12:31 AM
shock statement: this is will ferrell's funniest movie to date. 

I second that. Can't wait to see it again.

cinemanarchist

I love boats, I love hoes...this movie has it all.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Ghostboy

I haven't seen a Will Ferrell movie since Talladega Nights. This was so much better than I expected. How can a dumb sleepwalking gag make me laugh so hard I cried? It happened twice!

Reinhold

Quote from: Ghostboy on August 10, 2008, 01:29:10 AM
I haven't seen a Will Ferrell movie since Talladega Nights. This was so much better than I expected. How can a dumb sleepwalking gag make me laugh so hard I cried? It happened twice!

that was you?! i ought to kick your ass.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

El Duderino

I'm glad to see Richard Jenkins finally getting some screen time. I was afraid he was just gonna be Nathaniel Fisher for the rest of his career.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?