Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Drill on December 21, 2020, 05:24:37 PM
Hmm...

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1341158080743165956

So who do we think would be the most likely buyer? I've said it before but my best guess would be Apple.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Tdog

Quote from: Rooty Poots on December 22, 2020, 01:27:50 AM
Quote from: Drill on December 21, 2020, 05:24:37 PM
Hmm...

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1341158080743165956

So who do we think would be the most likely buyer? I've said it before but my best guess would be Apple.

Disney!!!!! Bow down to The Mouse!

Drenk

The Mouse is a Fox and the Fox is now an agent of MI6.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Drenk

Amazon was my first guess. Jeff Bezos made more than five billions since the tweet was posted. They're also the worst streaming service: I'm sorry, but I can only think of packages when I see the Amazon logo. Or a warehouse...
Ascension.

wilberfan

Quote from: Drenk on December 22, 2020, 09:07:41 AM
I'm sorry, but I can only think of packages when I see the Amazon logo. Or a warehouse...

Full of people peeing into jars and race-walking 14 miles a shift.   :whip:

Heisenberg

Amazon or Apple would certainly give Soggy Bottom a theatrical release. I seem to remember Netflix expressing interest in MGM at some point. Even though Anima was made for Netflix, I don't think PTA would want his next feature film to be a Netflix original, though.

Rooty Poots

I know Apple has made offers for MGM in the past, as recently as 2019 (and probably later, I'm sure, if they were truly serious about it). I've heard from someone who should be aware of such things that they were interested in Annapurna, too (they've got a good relationship with the Ellison's—Larry Ellison was purportedly Steve Jobs' best friend—and Annapurna Interactive has multiple games slated for Apple Arcade exclusives).

Combine this with them hiring the former head of HBO to make an in-house studio, and I'd imagine fully owning their IP is something they're very interested in. MGM or Annapurna would be a valuable head start.

And a PTA film seems like exactly the kind of content they'd want to own.

My concerns with Apple having a PTA exclusive isn't the theatrical run—they'd definitely still do that. I'd be more worried we'd lose out on a DVD/BluRay release.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Drenk on December 22, 2020, 09:07:41 AM
Amazon was my first guess. Jeff Bezos made more than five billions since the tweet was posted. They're also the worst streaming service: I'm sorry, but I can only think of packages when I see the Amazon logo. Or a warehouse...

Their streaming service is such garbage, and the app interface somehow manages to be even worse. Some great gems there! But it's mixed in with so much trash.

jviness02

Quote from: Rooty Poots on December 22, 2020, 06:43:51 PM
I know Apple has made offers for MGM in the past, as recently as 2019 (and probably later, I'm sure, if they were truly serious about it). I've heard from someone who should be aware of such things that they were interested in Annapurna, too (they've got a good relationship with the Ellison's—Larry Ellison was purportedly Steve Jobs' best friend—and Annapurna Interactive has multiple games slated for Apple Arcade exclusives).

Combine this with them hiring the former head of HBO to make an in-house studio, and I'd imagine fully owning their IP is something they're very interested in. MGM or Annapurna would be a valuable head start.

And a PTA film seems like exactly the kind of content they'd want to own.

My concerns with Apple having a PTA exclusive isn't the theatrical run—they'd definitely still do that. I'd be more worried we'd lose out on a DVD/BluRay release.

Yep. This worries me in general for the future.

Heisenberg

Worst case scenario, it gets a quick criterion blu release.

jviness02

Quote from: Heisenberg on December 23, 2020, 11:00:18 PM
Worst case scenario, it gets a quick criterion blu release.

If Netflix buys it. Right now, Netflix is the only one with that deal with Criterion.

wilberfan

See the IMDB page for Soggy recently?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11271038/fullcredits/

I don't know who filled in all the crew credits on that page, but the listings there are remarkably accurate.   And interesting they can't find a picture of Cooper anywhere?  Unless there's a copyright issue. 

kingfan011

Interesting how the rest of the big characters aren't listed yet but we have these which are both random and as you say accurate.

Further down in the crew he has a lot of people he's never worked with before. Interesting.

pynchonikon

From some characters' brief descriptions it seems like a considerable fair sequence took place yet oddly I can't recall any set photos of that.