Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drill

IMDb now lists Adam Somner as one of the producers.

Find Your Magali

Pure speculation: I will be very curious how the pandemic shaped this film.

Did the restrictions and the incredibly difficult shooting conditions motivate PTA to reshape his movie from something sprawling into something leaner and more personal? I have to think that it did. And I don't know that's necessarily a bad thing. As much as I'm looking forward to the film, I'm fascinatedly looking forward to see how he pulled off his usual artistry and vision under such a handicap.

Did the original script have huge crowd scenes? More exteriors? Additional subplots?

To be clear, I'm not talking about any of this as a negative. I think it says something that PTA went forward with this film, that he was willing to tailor his vision to what was available. Among many things, this will forever be "the film that was shot during a pandemic" and that of itself will give it even deeper meaning.

Tdog

Quote from: Find Your Magali on November 22, 2020, 09:18:19 AM

Did the restrictions and the incredibly difficult shooting conditions motivate PTA to reshape his movie from something sprawling into something leaner and more personal? I have to think that it did. And I don't know that's necessarily a bad thing. As much as I'm looking forward to the film, I'm fascinatedly looking forward to see how he pulled off his usual artistry and vision under such a handicap.

Did the original script have huge crowd scenes? More exteriors? Additional subplots?

To be clear, I'm not talking about any of this as a negative. I think it says something that PTA went forward with this film, that he was willing to tailor his vision to what was available. Among many things, this will forever be "the film that was shot during a pandemic" and that of itself will give it even deeper meaning.

I don't think so?

1) Supposedly MGM upped the budget from what the previous attached studio approved.

2) PTAs cinematography crew said during the Phantom Thread talk they did that they were gearing up for the new movie/location scouting and that the shooting locations were going to very challenging; they meant this not just on the context of Covid but in the context of what they were trying to achieve photographically and how they operated on Phantom Thread.

WorldForgot

Not to mention the prominent (COVID tested/coordination compliant) crowds filmed at two separate spots for this flick.

wilberfan

Covid protocols definitely impacted the day-to-day mechanics of each days shooting.  And I wouldn't be surprised if adjustments/rewrites were made for some scenes.  I strongly suspect that the crew was smaller than it probably otherwise would have been as well.

Drenk

You can imagine that the New Year scene in Phantom Thread wouldn't have been filmed during COVID season.
Ascension.

Tdog

Quote from: Drenk on November 22, 2020, 11:17:28 AM
You can imagine that the New Year scene in Phantom Thread wouldn't have been filmed during COVID season.

What's interesting about PTA's style though and in especially in relation to that scene, is that he also shot daydreamed/imagined footage of Alma/Reynolds slow dancing in the aftermath of the news years party; so maybe there'll be more of that in the new one, maybe emptyness/isolation will work for the characters in places.

Drenk

Quote from: Tdog on November 22, 2020, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: Drenk on November 22, 2020, 11:17:28 AM

What's interesting about PTA's style though and in especially in relation to that scene, is that he also shot daydreamed/imagined footage of Alma/Reynolds slow dancing in the aftermath of the news years party; so maybe there'll be more of that in the new one, maybe emptyness/isolation will work for the characters in places.

But does that scene work without us having seen the crowd beforehand? Ultimately, I don't think COVID has a big impact of his aesthetic. I can imagine a student in fifty years saying this at a party or inside a bunker: "You know, Inherent Vice was shot during the pandemic of the early century, that's why most of the shots are close-up and the exteriors are limited."
Ascension.

Drill

I'm also wondering if there were major changes in script/tone. That wouldn't be new for him. There's been no sign of that rumored juicy female agent role (if we're going by set tales/photos, Haim sister is the only female character in this?). And if Sean Penn is that significant older director role, they may have been reduced as well? It seemed like he was only on set for a couple days. Maybe the focus changed from a "child actor in the industry" tale to more of a "Valley hangout" tale?

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drenk on November 22, 2020, 11:38:54 AM
I can imagine a student in fifty years saying this at a party or inside a bunker: "You know, Inherent Vice was shot during the pandemic of the early century, that's why most of the shots are close-up and the exteriors are limited."

:yabbse-grin:

kingfan011

It is interesting there was no sign of the agent character unless her character is really tiny.

Alma

Speaking of dance scenes, there's now a choreographer listed on IMDB (I know, I know, IMDB)...

Tdog

Quote from: Drill on November 22, 2020, 11:51:45 AM

I'm also wondering if there were major changes in script/tone. That wouldn't be new for him. There's been no sign of that rumored juicy female agent role (if we're going by set tales/photos, Haim sister is the only female character in this?). And if Sean Penn is that significant older director role, they may have been reduced as well? It seemed like he was only on set for a couple days. Maybe the focus changed from a "child actor in the industry" tale to more of a "Valley hangout" tale?

But we've seen maybe 5 exteriors for the movie?
I'm sure there are plenty of interiors we are oblivious to.

We also have no idea about story. My guess would be based on what we've seen is that it's a "day in the life" of this kid. Some of it is him fulfilling professional obligations, some of it is him running off and having an adventure/trying to have a private/personal life.

polkablues

I'm imagining something that exists in the middle space between Dazed and Confused and After Hours.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Tdog

Quote from: polkablues on November 22, 2020, 12:41:15 PM
I'm imagining something that exists in the middle space between Dazed and Confused and After Hours.

That's EXACTLY where I'm at too!