Fuzzy Dunlop · 1633 · 133773

Drill

• The Vision Quest
Reply #1515 on: December 21, 2020, 05:24:37 PM
Hmm...

wilberfan

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #1516 on: December 21, 2020, 07:23:39 PM
Hmmm, indeed.   This could affect everything--or nothing--for Soggy Bottom.  It could get sold-off to streaming for quick cash, or held onto and nurtured--depending on what the exhibition world is like next year.
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

Rooty Poots

• The Road of Trials
    • Rooty Poots
Reply #1517 on: December 22, 2020, 01:27:50 AM
Hmm...

So who do we think would be the most likely buyer? Ive said it before but my best guess would be Apple.

Tdog

• The Meeting with the Goddess
Reply #1518 on: December 22, 2020, 07:01:41 AM
Hmm...

So who do we think would be the most likely buyer? Ive said it before but my best guess would be Apple.

Disney!!!!! Bow down to The Mouse!

Drenk

Reply #1519 on: December 22, 2020, 08:57:49 AM
The Mouse is a Fox and the Fox is now an agent of MI6.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #1520 on: December 22, 2020, 09:00:33 AM
I'd guess Amazon.

Drenk

Reply #1521 on: December 22, 2020, 09:07:41 AM
Amazon was my first guess. Jeff Bezos made more than five billions since the tweet was posted. They're also the worst streaming service: I'm sorry, but I can only think of packages when I see the Amazon logo. Or a warehouse...
Ascension.

wilberfan

Reply #1522 on: December 22, 2020, 11:43:20 AM
I'm sorry, but I can only think of packages when I see the Amazon logo. Or a warehouse...

Full of people peeing into jars and race-walking 14 miles a shift.   :whip:

Heisenberg

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #1523 on: December 22, 2020, 04:26:46 PM
Amazon or Apple would certainly give Soggy Bottom a theatrical release. I seem to remember Netflix expressing interest in MGM at some point. Even though Anima was made for Netflix, I don't think PTA would want his next feature film to be a Netflix original, though.

Rooty Poots

• The Road of Trials
    • Rooty Poots
Reply #1524 on: December 22, 2020, 06:43:51 PM
I know Apple has made offers for MGM in the past, as recently as 2019 (and probably later, Im sure, if they were truly serious about it). Ive heard from someone who should be aware of such things that they were interested in Annapurna, too (theyve got a good relationship with the EllisonsLarry Ellison was purportedly Steve Jobs best friendand Annapurna Interactive has multiple games slated for Apple Arcade exclusives).

Combine this with them hiring the former head of HBO to make an in-house studio, and Id imagine fully owning their IP is something theyre very interested in. MGM or Annapurna would be a valuable head start.

And a PTA film seems like exactly the kind of content theyd want to own.

My concerns with Apple having a PTA exclusive isnt the theatrical runtheyd definitely still do that. Id be more worried wed lose out on a DVD/BluRay release.

Rooty Poots

• The Road of Trials
    • Rooty Poots
Reply #1525 on: December 22, 2020, 07:01:45 PM
Amazon was my first guess. Jeff Bezos made more than five billions since the tweet was posted. They're also the worst streaming service: I'm sorry, but I can only think of packages when I see the Amazon logo. Or a warehouse...

Their streaming service is such garbage, and the app interface somehow manages to be even worse. Some great gems there! But its mixed in with so much trash.

jviness02

• The Vision Quest
Reply #1526 on: December 23, 2020, 08:35:35 PM
I know Apple has made offers for MGM in the past, as recently as 2019 (and probably later, Im sure, if they were truly serious about it). Ive heard from someone who should be aware of such things that they were interested in Annapurna, too (theyve got a good relationship with the EllisonsLarry Ellison was purportedly Steve Jobs best friendand Annapurna Interactive has multiple games slated for Apple Arcade exclusives).

Combine this with them hiring the former head of HBO to make an in-house studio, and Id imagine fully owning their IP is something theyre very interested in. MGM or Annapurna would be a valuable head start.

And a PTA film seems like exactly the kind of content theyd want to own.

My concerns with Apple having a PTA exclusive isnt the theatrical runtheyd definitely still do that. Id be more worried wed lose out on a DVD/BluRay release.

Yep. This worries me in general for the future.

Heisenberg

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #1527 on: December 23, 2020, 11:00:18 PM
Worst case scenario, it gets a quick criterion blu release.

jviness02

• The Vision Quest
Reply #1528 on: December 23, 2020, 11:07:25 PM
Worst case scenario, it gets a quick criterion blu release.

If Netflix buys it. Right now, Netflix is the only one with that deal with Criterion.

wilberfan

Reply #1529 on: December 30, 2020, 12:13:37 AM
See the IMDB page for Soggy recently?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11271038/fullcredits/

I don't know who filled in all the crew credits on that page, but the listings there are remarkably accurate.   And interesting they can't find a picture of Cooper anywhere?  Unless there's a copyright issue.