Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

Rudie Obias

i'm totally obsessed with ZERO EFFECT.  i already watched it 4 times this week!  if you haven't seen this film, please, please, please do yourself a favor and rent it today!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

cowboykurtis

barry lyndon -- many have not seen it -- other dismiss it as a hollow and tedious tecnical showcase - i think it could be my favorite kubrick film. the plot line between lyndon and lord bullingdon is absolutely captivating.

that being said eyes wide shut as well,  underrated in my opinion -- could be kubricks most facinating film.

also i agree with pubrick that A.I. is grossly underrated -- although a large part of my viewing pleasure may come from imagining where kubrick would have taken it if he directed.
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: socketlevel
8. the red violin
9. love lisa

-sl-

these both were utter garbage -- the script was vaccant

grand theft sparrow

1) Marnie (Hitchcock) - Better than The Birds

2) The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Preston Sturges) - Criterion, please!

3) Frenzy (Hitchcock) - Best second-string Hitch ever.

4) A.I. (Spielberg) - A film I would get into a fist fight to defend

5) Catch-22 (Nichols) - Why M*A*S*H and not this?

6) Crooklyn (Spike Lee) - Outside of Jackie Brown, suffered the most acute case of "follow-up syndrome"

7) Grand Canyon (Kasdan) - Magnolia's daddy

8) The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (Gilliam) - The only clear audience for it is Gilliam fans

9) Any Given Sunday (Oliver Stone) - Will be cemented in film history if/when Jamie Foxx wins the Oscar this year

10) Schizopolis (Soderbergh) - Criterion treatment notwithstanding.  Try getting anyone who doesn't post on this site to see it...

cowboykurtis

i personally think schizopolis was not good. a novel attempt at best -- and the novelty wore off pretty quick.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: cowboykurtisi personally think schizopolis was not good. a novel attempt at best -- and the novelty wore off pretty quick.

And you've illustrated beautifully why I put it on my list.

SHAFTR

Great Films, that aren't talked about as much, by Great Directors
Bed and Board / Truffaut
My Life to Live / Godard
King of Comedy / Scorsese
For a Few Dollars More / Leone
Brink of Life / Bergman
Targets / Bogdanovich

Films that I think are great for their genre:
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
Speed

Films Recognized here, but not necessarily everywhere else:
Punch-Drunk Love
All the Real Girls
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Just Withnail

Agree with all, except King of Comedy. I can't judge Brink of Life as I haven't seen it.

Stefen

Soberberghs Solaris - The first hour or so only, a great hour of filmmaking that uses sound amazingly.

Cant Hardly Wait - This movie has a John Hughes like charm, I love it and im probably alone, but it's so much fun.

Gummo - Say what you want about Korine, but even if you are not a fan of his (like me)  you gotta admit that Gummo kept you watching.

Belly - Someone brought this film up a few days ago and I feel it gets totally shat on but doesn't deserve it. True, it was all over the place but the cinematography was awesome.

Casualties Of War - And to a lesser extent Sisters. DePalma is the man, don't deny it. He has lost a few steps in his old age, but out of the big time filmmakers, who hasnt?

Signs - Maybe this could be overrated at the same time, but I think it's great. It was kind of silly at times but the fact that there was an alien invasion and Night decides to stay with this ONE family is a feat in itself, how bad could this have been? Imagine Michael Bay at the helm.

Desert Blue - I don't even know if anyone has even heard of this movie, but it's from the guy that did Hurricane Streets (underated also) Desert Blue is just a great movie about people spending time with eachother, check it out if you haven't seen it.

Summer Of Sam - I love this movie, it's very enteraining and I like the collection of characters that are in it.  Spike Lee is very underrated.

I could think of more but these are the ones that come to mind right away as being underrated to me.  I'll add more if I can think of some.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRGreat Films, that aren't talked about as much, by Great Directors
My Life to Live / Godard
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5109&start=0

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SHAFTRBed and Board / Truffaut
:yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

cowboykurtis

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: cowboykurtisi personally think schizopolis was not good. a novel attempt at best -- and the novelty wore off pretty quick.

you're a smug bastard aren't you?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: cowboykurtis

I like to think of myself as more of a cocky prick than a smug bastard.  

Sorry if you found me threatening.

cowboykurtis

not threatening, just a little smug - and out of curiousity what do you like about schitzopolos -- other than the principle of it.

grand theft sparrow

not threatening, just a little smug - and out of curiousity what do you like about schitzopolos -- other than the principle of it.

First and foremost, I think it's funny.  I loved the absurd humor.  But while it all seems random, a lot of it has a point to it.  It was such an unusually conceived film that, whether you like it or not, you have to give it credit for that.  It's the kind of film that the humor (if you like it) can take you through a first viewing but leave you with a "What the hell did I just see?" kind of feeling.  But with repeat viewings, things become a lot clearer.

Schizopolis is about communication and how easily things can be misinterpreted (not unlike how my response to you was misinterpreted as smug).  There's a line in the movie where one of the characters says (I had this as my signature a while back), "The other day, you said 'appearances'. I thought you said, 'A fear is this.'" That small, throwaway line sums up the point of the movie: It's so easy to interpret things incorrectly or communicate things incorrectly and cause major problems as a result.  

And even the backstory to the making of the film, that Soderbergh wrote it partially as a response to his divorce, clarifies things a bit.  I think it's a fascinating way to deal with that sort of thing and it's an interesting concept to explore, especially in such a bizarre way.  Therapy would have been cheaper but considerably less interesting for us.

That's about as short as I can put it.