Million Dollar Baby

Started by MacGuffin, December 01, 2004, 07:02:07 PM

Kal

I think you're a moron... but I dont care

cine

Well that settles it, guys.. Mesh doesn't think Million Dollar Baby is all its cracked up to be. Don't forget it!

modage

i almost wish i could un-see it now.   :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Charlie Rose

1/26/2005  

An hour with MORGAN FREEMAN
Actor, "Million Dollar Baby"

pete

you know how I am with fight scenes.  If you don't, I'm pretty tough on them.  this movie is no different, for a movie about boxing, the catfights were pretty terrible.  that being said, I got choked up a few times watching this, and you can actually hear the whole theater choking up.  it was a really intense story, with pretty well-written dialogues and really solid acting.  I loved it.  However, I was a little bit let down by the ending.  the same way I felt about mystic river's ending--that it was sad when I was watching it, but when I thought about it afterwards it felt a little bit empty.
but mesh was right on.  morgan freeman was totally a stereotypical old blackman--with his wrinkles and his skin color (black).  as if those weren't enough--he fucking ENDORSED VIOLENCE.  dude, think about your community.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: petethis movie is no different, for a movie about boxing, the catfights were pretty terrible.
my eyes are rolling -- right out of their sockets.

cine

Quote from: flagpolespeciali know this movie has been out in the states for a long time. in australia they're only playing advanced screenings
that's news to me.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm pretty sure it's been out in most major cities since December 15.

Kal

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI'm pretty sure it's been out in most major cities since December 15.

came out LA/NY I think Dec 15. In Miami they started showing it only in one theatre Dec 24, and then expanded last friday. It will still expand a lot tomorrow!

Pozer

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: andyk----- SPOILERS! -----

The film is excellent. You definetly see Clint Eastwood's hand in almost everything. The details, the sound, every scene... I loved it. I left the theatre a little down though, because you never expect what will happen, and it kinda sends you a mixed message that you can take it as positive or negative depending on how your current life situation is maybe. Either you get everything you dreamed of somehow and are able to die happy under any circumstance... or you may live your whole life with regret and empty because you never reached that peak. Its weird how everyone ends in the movie, not just the girl. Anyways... I was also curious to know what was that happened between Clint and his daughter (reason why she wouldnt talk to him), as they leave it open.

--- END SPOILERS ----

:laughing:  You've gotta be kidding me with that.  That scene was so ridiculously telegraphed.....

M$B's not that good folks.  It's a good, depressing movie, with good performances and a stilted Morgan Freeman VO that lends it undue gravitas.  It's not a "masterpiece" in any significant sense, Clint Eastwood already made his masterpiece, it was called Unforgiven.

"Ah got everahthing ah need, Boss, don't let 'em take it away from me..."

Bahahahahahha.....

"In boxing, everything is backwards...."

No it's not, shut up and go back to Shawshank prison, you stereotype.
OMITTED. I'll give you a break Mesh

Gold Trumpet

Oh give Mesh a break. He essentially said what most people here say for other movies they don't like. only difference is this movie is being accepted as great by everyone. When he seriously wants to review, he does fine.

mehico

anyone else laugh outloud at the scene in britain?

"on in 10 minutes lav"
You are the son of incestuous union.

ono

Fuck The Undertow.  This film is a masterpiece.  If you don't like hype, stop reading.  If you're wary of spoilers, stop reading.

Anyone who doesn't think so has a heart of stone and should really have their license to view movies revoked.  No sense analyzing it now.  Maybe later.  I thought nothing could eclipse Sideways.  I was wrong.  Eastwood has been at his game for years.  It took him 30 some odd tries to produce a masterpiece, but he's like Kurosawa or Altman now, and will just keep getting better as he ages.  No film has grabbed me from start to finish like this one since I saw Amelie for the first time.  I had a smile on my face from the get-go, even until the heartwrenching end, because I knew I was seeing something special.

Myxo

Said it before, and I'll say it again.

Best film of the year, hands down.

El Duderino

FUCK! another waaayyy overrated clint eastwood movie. goddamn it
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?