Shaun Of The Dead

Started by MacGuffin, March 25, 2004, 02:51:38 PM

SHAFTR

i saw and really enjoyed this.  I think more viewings will uncover more hidden comedic gems.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SleuthIs Spaced seriously better than Shaun?

That's kind of like asking if Beavis and Butthead is better than Office Space. OK, bad analogy but they're two different entities, that's my point.  

Spaced is a top-notch sitcom, easily one of the smartest and funniest I've ever seen, and Shaun is a top-notch all-around geek fest, easily the funniest and smartest sci-fi/horror film in ages.  You'd be doing yourself a great service by watching both.

RegularKarate

They were showing the pilot for Spaced before Shaun and it was really quite good.  How are we not getting this in the States?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: RegularKarateThey were showing the pilot for Spaced before Shaun and it was really quite good.  How are we not getting this in the States?
We are. It's on Trio. Tonight at 10 (est). http://www.triotv.com/spaced/
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

RegularKarate

Quote from: ranemaka13We are. It's on Trio. Tonight at 10 (est). http://www.triotv.com/spaced/

Sorry, I meant to say:
Quote from: RegularKaratewhy are we not getting this on DVD or on a channel I get?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: RegularKarateSorry, I meant to say:
Quote from: RegularKaratewhy are we not getting this on DVD or on a channel I get?

If you have a multi-region player, the DVD of the entire series apparently just came out in the UK.  It's SO worth it.

mogwai

the writer/director commentary is hilarious. here's a sample:

simon pegg (shaun): "nick looks like he's entering me anally there."

modage

so i just finished Spaced.  oh too soon... man they really have short seasons in the uk.  it was very funny and packed with more geek references than any normal half hour could handle.  the thing i didnt expect about the show (and the film) is how subtley you actually begin to get wrapped up in these characters lives as ridiculous as the tone is sometimes.  by the end of it you arent ready to let go, because you want to see what happens to these characters!  argh, please let there be a Season 3!  but it was really good and safe to say i will be watching for ANYTHING these guys do oh, for the rest of their lives.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Then I'll definitely not see it
I like to hug dogs

Myxo

I just got back from this and I thought it was terrible.

Ugh..

However, it was barely watchable enough that I couldn't leave the theater. I do not recommend this to anyone.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrickhaha, whatever

I'm entitled to my opinion.

The first 15 minutes of this film were perhaps the most painful and poorly paced I have ever seen. I was squirming in my seat waiting for a moment to laugh or have the movie move along. I am a big, big fan of dry British humor. So, it wasn't a matter of "not getting it" like I'm sure some people would say.

I tried to come up with something short to describe it afterwards but all I could come up with was "Blah!". That's how it felt to me. By the time they reached the Winchester Pub (which is just a ridiculous sequence), the whole thing had me thinking,

"This is supposed to be a comedy?"

Somebody outside the theater said to me,

"Well, it's alot funnier if you've seen any of the old Romero zombie movies."

I'm thinking, so the only way this thing succeeds is if I go out and watch some other movies made by some other director? You are kidding me, right?

It's totally cool for a director to honor a genre and set out to make a good film at the same time. But try and do both at once or don't bother at all.

modage

no, it succeeds on its own.  its enhanced further if you know anything about zombie movies.  it works without it though as a hilarious satire/horror/comedy anyways though.  i dont think there was anything wrong with the pacing in the first 15 minutes but i was laughing through the whole thing.  humor is subjective, so i guess it wasnt funny to you.  if you'd like to point out anything else that was 'wrong' with the movie, i'd be happy to argue some of the finer points with you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

london

It was a story, partly of love (romantic love and familial love) about a guy who showed his real mete through the supernatural occurrence of zombies.  Was Shaun really the zombie in the beginning and everyone else was living?  Sleep walking through his waking life.  Perhaps this movie is simply a hero's journey, a self-actualization combined with lots of funny jokes and great english humor although the latter is my own bias.
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

Pubrick

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: Pubrickhaha, whatever

I'm entitled to my opinion.
relax dude, no one said u weren't.

i don't agree with ur recommendation, so i dismissed it by saying 'whatever'.

mini-mac has made all the best points about it, i'm sure he'll argue with whatever specific problems u had with the film.

i don't think it's too much for a film to ask that u hav sum awareness of other films like it. especially a movie dealing with zombies, it's inevitable that it will reference its predecessors. and it's not like they expect u to hav seen shit movies, it's actually a good thing to go out and watch sum romero films.

at the very least, the satire can be appreciated as playing off the established genre archetypes. and like mod said it succeeds on its own regardless. my recommendation and opinion, which apparently i'm entitled to, is: if u don't like it, well then ur probably not that interesting anyway.
under the paving stones.