Shaun Of The Dead

Started by MacGuffin, March 25, 2004, 02:51:38 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release date: April 9th (UK), September 4th (US)

Director: Edgar Wright (UK's 1998 TV Series: Merry-Go-Round, Fistful of Fingers)

Screenwriter(s): Simon Pegg (Free Jimmy, Steve Coogan: The Man Who Thinks He's It), Edgar Wright (UK's 1998 TV Series: Merry-Go-Round, Fistful of Fingers)

Actors: Simon Pegg (Shaun), Nick Frost (Ed), Kate Ashfield (Liz), Dylan Moran (David), Lucy Davis (Dianne), Bill Nighy (Philip), Peter Serafinowicz (Pete), Penelope Wilton (Barbara)

Plot: Described by writer Simon Pegg as a naturalistic comedy about the zombiefied existence of late twenty-somethings, crossbred with a full-scale zombie invasion wherein a group of friends encounter a literal night from hell at their local pub.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

That was an interesting trailer
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Raikus

I've been wanting to see this for a while. I was hoping I would find an early release of sneak peek in Edinburgh or London, but no dice.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

after that preview and a couple of ejaculatory AICN reviews, i am really excited about this now. why do i do this to myself?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fishbulb

Over at www.vcdquality.com, this appeared as a release yesterday (a CAM), implying that a copy is floating around somewhere. But now it's gone. Hmm....

Chest Rockwell

This looks pretty hilarious.

penfold0101

I saw it last night, and I thought it was very good, very British and very funny.
I thought the writing was brilliant.
It's an excellent mix, well balanced, kind of a buddy romantic action zombie horror comedy movie!
I expected it to be full of references to other horror/zombie films but I only noticed a couple.

My mate's main complaint was that it took to long to get started.
But I didn't think so. Watch it you'll see. I don't want to say too much. Just go see it, I don't think you'll disappointed.

I'm probably a bit bias as I am British and I do love spaced.

We all left the cinema groaning like undead and you will too. I don't know why who would want to be a zombie!

That will do for now, I really need to see it again to comment further.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Redlum

This was great fun. But I loved Spaced, too.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Fishbulb

Well, I saw the movie even though I live in the US (hint: the Internet is my friend), and I really liked it. Someone said that there weren't many references to other horror/zombie movies in this, but there are a ton; most of them are pretty subtle though. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are great, and the movie has a ton of cameos by pretty much everyone who's ever been in a funny show in the UK. I can't wait to see the movie on the big screen when it comes out in the US (Focus has the US rights to it and is still trying to decide on a release date).

mogwai

good news for peeps living in the u.k.

Those good folks over at Zeta Minor have posted details on Shaun of the Dead which stars Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Dylan Moran, Kate Ashfield and Lucy Davis. The film, described as a romantic comedy - with zombies, will be available to own from the 6th September this year, priced at around £19.99. Extras will include an audio commentary by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, a second commentary by Pegg and co-stars Nick Frost, Dylan Moran, Kate Ashfield and Lucy Davis, a third with stars Bill Nighy and Penelope Wilton and a fourth by the zombies themselves! The disc will also feature extended bits with commentary, outtakes, a Man Who Would Be Shaun feature in which Simon Pegg and Nick Frost impersonate Sean Connery and Michael Caine and a new Funky Pete sequence in which Pete's swearing sequence is re-dubbed. But wait, there's more. Three comic strip sequences will fill in some of the plotholes (such as how did Ed get from the cellar to the shed) and a TV Bits feature which carries extended versions of the TV shows within the movie (Coldplay on T4, It's a Knockout Zombies, Trisha etc). Completing the set will be A Raw Meat making of featurette, five trailers and TV spots, three Zombie pic galleries, a storyboard comparison and a Zomb-O-Meter trivia track.

dvdanswers.com

Rusty James

Pretty good movie, I expected a little more being a fan of Spaced. It gets its US release on the 24th. I hope it does well.

SHAFTR

The Prince album joke in the trailer is enough for me to go.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mogwai

brilliant, i thought it was a parody judging by the trailer. but there were some serious stuff as well. but it was overall very funny. don't miss this one!

modage

saw a sneak preview of this tonight and i FUCKING LOVED IT.    seriously, i've got to go back and take my dad (horror fan) next weekend.  this movie was a  hilarious comedy and a hardcore zombie movie.  and it works.  and its great.  for once, the AICN reviews did not exaggerate / overhype the enjoyment out of this one.  they were all right.  

it was just clever as hell and packed to the gills with in-jokes and subtle hints of things to come.  i was laughing outloud throughout most of the entire film.  the previews give the impression of more of a lighter film or spoof, but the movie doesnt pull any punches with gore/horror.  it has real scares, characters you ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT, and its also really funny.  amazing.  this movie rules.  :shock:  

put this as my second favorite film of the year behind Eternal Sunshine so far....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Omigosh now I'm getting so excited!  I already made plans to see it, but I was doing okay until you just riled me up!  I am committed now, yes, I will most definitely see it.