Shaun Of The Dead

Started by MacGuffin, March 25, 2004, 02:51:38 PM

brockly

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: brocklyagreed, and if the film had kept this up, it would have turned out excellent. unfortunatly it didnt. for the most part, the whole film was pretty good, but i was dissapointed at how dry the gags got.
not to argue every single dissenter here, but elaborate.  which gags were dry?  how did it not keep it up?  did you not like how more serious horror elements took over from the all comedy setup of the beginning?  did you not think the queen song was hilarious?  or the payoff to 'im sorry, shaun.'  or 'would anybody like a peanut?'  or the dart in the head?

the second half just didnt make me laugh any where near to the extent as the first half. and it wasnt just the gags that got dry. like you said, the film started to take itself (and not just the horror elements) seriously. this just didnt work for me. for example, the scene where david is pointing the gun at shaun's mom because she's about to turn into a zombie was way too dramatised and serious to work in this movie. not to mention we've seen this scene done so many times before. the reason why the first half was so fresh and enjoyable for me was that it wasnt relying on any traditional zombie-movie elements. it celebrated everything that is lame and unthreatening about zombies. example: shaun walking to the store without noticing or being attacked by any of the zombies, or shaun and ed throwing records and what not at them from only a few feet away without the threat of the zombies reaching them. i liked dawn of the dead and 28 days later, but i really didnt want to see another modern age zombie movie unless it was going to take a different direction. this film only did that to an extent.

as far the the dry gags go, the queen song, everyone constantly missing (as Sleuth mentioned), repeatedly hitting the red neck zombie dude with pool cues and that david guy persistently being an asshole are some examples.

modage

merry christmas to me...

Title: Shaun of the Dead
Released: 21st December 2004
SRP: $29.98

Further Details
Universal has set an official release date for Shaun of the Dead which stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. This hugely popular zombie flick will be available to own from the 21st December this year. The retail price will be set at around $29.98. The film itself should be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen along with English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. I'm afraid that the extra features have yet to be confirmed by Universal, although we're pretty sure that the disc specs will be more or less identical to the region two release. Therefore you should expect four audio commentaries with the cast and crew, extended bits, makeup tests, video diaries from Simon Pegg and Lucy Davis, trailers and more. For the full specs, please refer to the region two related article at the bottom of this page. We're also hearing that the US disc will include a couple of exclusive features, although we're still waiting on confirmation. We'll bring you further details on this one, including a look at the official artwork, shortly. Stay tuned.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

I knew Mod would be happy about that. I saw that earlier this morning and I am just as psyched as he is.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

mogwai

better late than never.. moha haha haa!

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02merry christmas to me...

Title: Shaun of the Dead
Released: 21st December 2004
SRP: $29.98

I just made in my pants!  

I went to see it a second time this weekend back-to-back after Team America.  Great night!

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Had a weird dream yesterday that Criterion gave this film the 2-disc treatment.

cine

Funniest thing I've read all week.

Stefen

Saw this tonight, and I didn't like it, it was just stupid, and slapsticky, it didn't have any wit. The worst thing about it for me was the character of Ed, he was so annoying and to the point where he was fucking up the movie for me, I was hoping he would die. It didn't work on anything as far as im concerned, not on comedy, satire, drama, or anything. I didn't care about any of the characters. The gore was pretty cool but that's about the only thing this movie had that I can give it credit for. Some people were calling it the best movie of the year and I just do no get that, I won't go as far as to call it one of the worst, but it's definetely close.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

hahaha,  yeah right.  i'd almost be inclined to believe you were serious if you didnt just like Napoleon Dynamite.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: themodernage02hahaha,  yeah right.  i'd almost be inclined to believe you were serious if you didnt just like Napoleon Dynamite.

I'm serious, I just didn't dig the flick, the humor didn't work for me and the movie just got annoying after awhile. So they are trying to find a way to evade the zombies and Ed talks on his cell phone? What's so funny about that? The only part that made me chuckle is when they run into bizarro them.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I forgot to comment on this: Ah, it was OK. When I saw it, I was in need of some entertaintment and it did its thing. A couple scenes were really funny, but like Club Dread, it tried too much to be its own horror film. I wanted a full on spoof! The first encounter the two main guys had with a zombie seems only to really qualify and that scene was magnificent. Everything else was just OK.

modage

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI wanted a full on spoof!
well, see that is YOUR problem.  (or perhaps the previews for selling too goofy).  if you want a full on spoof, rent scary movie!  they suck fine.  this never had any intention of being a spoof, its a horror comedy.  it is what it is.

brockly

saw it again today and i liked it much less on second viewing. i dont think i laughed once this time round. a few smiles here and there, sure, but this thing really doesnt hold up on multiple viewings. im at the point now where i really dont like this film

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI wanted a full on spoof!
well, see that is YOUR problem.  (or perhaps the previews for selling too goofy).  if you want a full on spoof, rent scary movie!  they suck fine.  this never had any intention of being a spoof, its a horror comedy.  it is what it is.

maybe if the horror scenes didnt suck so much it would have worked as a horror comedy. the last act, in particular, is horrendously bad

Quote from: themodernage02hahaha,  yeah right.  i'd almost be inclined to believe you were serious if you didnt just like Napoleon Dynamite.

u honestly think this piece of shit is funnier than Napoleon Dynamite?

Weak2ndAct

I've seen the movie a bunch of times, and I always still laugh at the 'Electro' scene after the guys leave the bar.