Shaun Of The Dead

Started by MacGuffin, March 25, 2004, 02:51:38 PM

Ghostboy

Somehow, I never let this film get on my radar -- I went into it tonight without having seen a single preview or really even reading a review, having only heard the buzz from the print ads on AICN and elsewhere. The last time Peter Jackson flipped for a horror film, it was Cabin Fever, and I dug that, so I figured I'd really like this.

Well, everything that themodernage said is true. It's a riot.

My friend who went with me, however, had been following the hype and watching all the trailers and he was super excited, and he said it wasn't quite as cool as he wanted it to be.

We both dressed up as zombies because the ad in the paper said that anyone with makeup got a free hat. So now I've got a cool knit cap and since the movie rocked and my friend payed for my ticket, I had an all around great evening.

Redlum

If you like it a lot check out the television series that preceded it, made by and starring the same team - SPACED . It will definately appeal to Cinephiles with a 'Shaun' sense of humour. There's a 3 discer coming out soon.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pubrick

Quote from: ®edlumThere's a 3 discer coming out soon.
that's awesome, i caught the first season and half of the second. very good references in each episode and various hilarious moments/storylines, recommended.

but that dude on the last page said to lower ur expectations if ur a fan of the show.. :?
under the paving stones.

mogwai

this is what i think is the funniest scene in the movie:

modage

Quote from: GhostboySomehow, I never let this film get on my radar -- I went into it tonight without having seen a single preview or really even reading a review, having only heard the buzz from the print ads on AICN and elsewhere. The last time Peter Jackson flipped for a horror film, it was Cabin Fever, and I dug that, so I figured I'd really like this.
see, i was underwhelmed by Cabin Fever so i approached this one with caution although i thought the preview was promising.  but its true.  it really was a riot.  like, the audience in the theatre was just loving it.  laughing, getting scared and grossed out.  just loving it.  i dont think any of us knew what we were in for.  i really want to see Spaced now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

This is DEFINITELY more crowd pleasing than Cabin Fever -- a completely different type of movie. I was laughing pretty much non-stop through this, but the great thing is that, even though it's hilarious, it works really well as a horrific zombie movie too. Far better than Dawn Of The Dead (the remake), and that was no slouch either. The 'money shot' when it comes to the gore is really terrific.

Quote from: mogwaithis is what i think is the funniest scene in the movie:

I was dying in my seat at that part.

hey deadhead take a bite o'peach

london

Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

Ravi

I also saw the sneak preview last night and I loved it.  Absolutely hilarious.  It is a funny zombie movie rather than a parody of zombie movies.  I saw the preview once a few weeks before, so I didn't remember anything about it while watching.

Is Spaced going to be released on DVD in the US?  It seems that mostly BBC comedies get DVD releases here.

Redlum

Quote from: Ravi
Is Spaced going to be released on DVD in the US?  It seems that mostly BBC comedies get DVD releases here.

Not sure about DVD but....

...get hold of that primo new SPACED DVD set from the UK (or tune in to watch the series starting next week on Trio)...
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=18396

If that makes sense then at least you can see it that way. I presume Trio is a TV channel.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

london

This movie was fucking great. I laughed my ass off. The whole crowd applauded at the end.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I can't wait for the dvd.  
How much did this movie cost to make?
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

GoneSavage

This is the kind of horror movie I've been waiting for for a while.  A good old-timey laugh out loud romp mixed with grade-a gore.  The combination reminds me of Dead Alive, for one.  I am eager to see Spaced.  I am also eager not to see a sequel of Shaun which would ruin it.  A wonderful movie.

penfold0101

FYI

At www.cdwow.com the Spaced series (PAL, R2) are selling for £7.99 each and the primo collectors ed is £16.99, with free world wide delivery.

They also have Shaun Of The Dead for £11.99. which is the cheapest I found it!

You can't go wrong!
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Mesh

The first 30-40 minutes were just fucking brilliantly funny and packed with NotLD Series references.  I was very pleasantly surprised that it was funnier than expected.  I'd guess that it'd be even more fun on a 2nd viewing, with time to catch all the little details like severed heads littering the streets, etc.  The demands of the plot subtracted from the funny somewhat, but this never stopped being totally entertaining and full of NotLD/Romero cred.

I especially appreciated the music-related jokes (the record collection, Queen on the jukebox, Morrissey singing "Panic on the streets of Birmingham....")  Awesome.

Jumps up near the top of my Best of 2004 list easily.

Raikus

Speaking of music-related jokes, anyone catch "Zombie Nation" playing on the bus when Shaun is going home from work? That was my favorite.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.