The Ladykillers

Started by modage, June 12, 2003, 05:10:18 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: pinkerton310Since Big? What about Forrest Gump, Castaway, or Road to Perdition? The trailers alone made me rush out to see them.  :shock:

.... like I said, since Big...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

aww c'mon, dont hate on Hanks.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

That movie right fucking there traumatized me as a kid. I cannot take a dog getting killed. It's kinda stupid, I know, but I just can't stand it. Sometimes, when it's offscreen it's okay (like Conformist), but usually I just won't watch...

I don't hate on Hanks, I just don't find most of the movies he picks to be that exciting to me. Big has always been a personal fav...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Fernando

Quote from: SoNowThenThat movie right fucking there traumatized me as a kid. I cannot take a dog getting killed. It's kinda stupid, I know, but I just can't stand it. Sometimes, when it's offscreen it's okay (like Conformist), but usually I just won't watch...

Thanks a lot for the spoiler alert!    8)

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

anything known as "disney-based" makes me reel around and want to vomit, especially anything live action with famous people only. GAH.

Speakin' o' Ole Sonnefeld, Addams Family was MUCH better than it should have been.
END.

modage

saw the trailer for The Ladykillers today.  said it would be released in March 2004, which would be about 6 months in between intolerable cruelty and this, which is pretty strange. i wasnt blown away by the clip when i watched it, but after i saw it a bunch of times it started to grow on me.  a little worrisome that a hanks movie is opening in march, but obviously this is not going to be a giant hanks hit so better news for us coen fans.  a few other things about this: i thought it was set in the 20's or something but according to marlon wayanas clothes, it is certainly not.  so thats very bizarre.  another odd thing was that the clip had an african american oversample, which means that in addition to the regular people to do the interviews for the preview there needed to be an 'extra' percentage of black people to watch the movie, as a potential audience.  WEIRD.  hanks delivery was hilarious and some of his 'looks' were great.  cant be worse than intolerable cruelty.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

kotte

sounds pretty cool...

I don't care, everything the Coens do has a VIP spot on my can't-wait list.

MacGuffin

National Lampoon Acquires Lady Killers
Source: Variety

In a strange move, National Lampoon has acquired Delfino Entertainment's Lady Killers and will release the film under the National Lampoon banner March 26, the exact same date as the Coen brothers' have The Ladykillers scheduled.

Are they trying to pull business from confused moviegoers who can't tell what is what? We seriously doubt it. Fans of Tom Hanks and Marlon Wayans probably won't have any trouble seeking out that Touchstone comedy.

The National Lampoon project, written and directed by Gary Preisler, stars Will Friedle (Boy Meets World) and Chris Owen (American Pie) as losers who marry two wealthy, elderly sisters in hopes of inheriting their Beverly Hills estate. It also stars Renee Taylor, Louise Lasser and Nikki Ziering.

National Lampoon will handle the film's theatrical release, focusing on cities that receive the National Lampoon TV Network serving college and university communities.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: MacGuffinNational Lampoon Acquires Lady Killers
Source: Variety

In a strange move, National Lampoon has acquired Delfino Entertainment's Lady Killers and will release the film under the National Lampoon banner March 26, the exact same date as the Coen brothers' have The Ladykillers scheduled.

Are they trying to pull business from confused moviegoers who can't tell what is what? We seriously doubt it. Fans of Tom Hanks and Marlon Wayans probably won't have any trouble seeking out that Touchstone comedy.

The National Lampoon project, written and directed by Gary Preisler, stars Will Friedle (Boy Meets World) and Chris Owen (American Pie) as losers who marry two wealthy, elderly sisters in hopes of inheriting their Beverly Hills estate. It also stars Renee Taylor, Louise Lasser and Nikki Ziering.

National Lampoon will handle the film's theatrical release, focusing on cities that receive the National Lampoon TV Network serving college and university communities.

That just seems silly... and not in a National Lampoon kind of way.
Si

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

My reactions: I'm very excited to see this movie though it looks a bit too mainstream. A bit snobbish? Maybe. But my Coens are quirky, odd and weird. Tom Hanks looks and sounds great. Wayans? Don't know. Looks like he always does.

I'm probably not gonna be disappointed but hopefully this is their way to get the money to make To The White Sea.

modage

quite a bit different from the test one i saw a few months back, but some of the same scenes.  after IC not terribly excited about this one, but hopefully i'll be surprised.

Pedro

hanks will steal the show.  it might be good!  :-D