The Ladykillers

Started by modage, June 12, 2003, 05:10:18 PM

fulty

Quote from: themodernage027th September
Okay, a week sooner.
Just try and stop me.   AHAHAHAHA.

I've got to see the opening titles again.
Kinda like bird-poop.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

SoNowThen

This is old hat now, I guess...

but I really enjoyed this movie. This and Intolerable Cruelty... I dunno why most of you guys hated them so much. I would watch both these movies again before I would watch Miller's Crossing or Fargo or O Brother. And it looked FANTASTIC!!! Beyond the garbage dump island (great great great image), and the obvious stuff, was there a load of digital manipulation? It seemed like a lot of the visuals were cheaked up. If so, Deakins is really using this new technology in a wonderful way which makes it really exciting outside of a special effects (ie. Lord Of The Rings) arena...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Quote from: SoNowThenwas there a load of digital manipulation?

Yeah, they've been all about that since O Brother (which, along with Fargo and Miller's Crossing, as well as most of their other oveure, had much more substance than either of these flicks put together, but to each his own).

modage

man, i have this movie on in the background on HBO.  it is HORRIBLE.  marlon  wayans is BEYOND annoying and so out of place i can't even believe how wrong this movie went.  oh coens...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: modage on March 14, 2004, 10:56:40 PM
watched the original Ladykillers tonite with Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers.  (not sure if anyone else here has seen it besides possibly Macguffin and maybe Cinephile), but it was okay.  not terribly funny, but it had its moments. its more a better 'idea' than a 'film'

That's the impression I got when I saw it today.  Its an interesting idea with nothing special other than the fact that it mixes a nice old lady with seedy con men.  You're with the film because you want to see what happens to the characters, but after its over you wonder why you watched it.