Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRGreat Films, that aren't talked about as much, by Great Directors
My Life to Live / Godard
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5109&start=0

I know, but it's still not talked about as much as it should be (by those outside of this board).
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Finn

Alright here's a few on my list...

Great Expectations - Yes, the Alfonso Cuaron version. It's become one of my very favorite films over the past several months since I saw it last year. It's brilliant, stylish, emotional, sexy and just plain lovely. Most of the critics didn't like it because it wasn't anything like the Charles Dickens novel. But it's a modern day interpretation so of course it's gonna be totally different. The performances were great by Ethan Hawke, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Bancroft and Robert De Niro. The movie also has one of the best soundtracks/scores I've ever heard. The music by Tori Amos, Mono, Chris Cornell and the composer Patrick Doyle adds to the movie in a huge way. People ignore the film completely now and it's a real shame because they're missing a real masterpiece.

Far and Away - I guess I'm totally alone here when I say this movie is great, really great. I heard it bombed when it first came out with the critics and most of the audience. I think a lot more people have started to like it since it plays on TV a lot. I thought this was easily Ron Howard's best and most underrated film. I didn't think Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman were bad at all like so many people have said. They were great together and did just fine otherwise. The score by John Williams was absolutley gorgeous in every sense. One of the great soundtracks. Of course the cinematography was beautiful too.

The Village - The movie was probably doomed by it's ads and trailers. They made it look like a real horror movie, which is the opposite of what it really is - an intellegent, mind-bending, slow-paced character study. I didn't like it the first time I saw it. But after seeing it a couple more times, I fully appreciated what Shyamalan offered here. Joaquin Phoenix and Bryce Dallas Howard were terrific in their leads. The score by James Newton Howard was achingly beautiful. I'd say this movie is Shyamalan's best film if it wasn't for The Sixth Sense.

Before Sunrise - People really loved Before Sunset but I kinda like Before Sunrise even better. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy were great and the cinematography plays a huge role in the movie. Richard Linklater's most beautiful gem.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

squints

Someone mentioned Summer of Sam earlier, i really really dig that movie adrien brody is great. Now as far as critical failures that i just can't agree with, it has to be Fear and Loathing. First of all screw anyone who says "The book was better" because a film and book are miles apart. Second, Terry Gilliam has impressed me with everything he's done, this includes 12 monkeys, Brazil, great, Time Bandits has been my favorite movie since i was 10....third, it's johnny depp doing a most incredible job as the good doctor and who didn't watch pirates of the carribean and think "Gee, that reminds me of Depp as Hunter"?....well i know that's what i said..Fear and Loathin in Las Vegas is the best adaptation of a Hunter S. Thompson work we're going to see...(unless this rumor of Depp reprising his role in the adaptation of the Rum Diaries is true)

and people don't talk about Network enough either! pssshaawww
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Summer Of Sam is definetely underrated. I've been saying it for awhile. it's one of Spike Lees better efforts imo, which makes it really good. It really captures the feel of the heat in New York during that summer, and that almost givea it a hallucination type feel to it. Which is fitting seeing as how what the movie is about.

Fear And Loathing is good, but I feel kind of bad liking it cause of how other non film people percieve it. They think of it as a drug movie, I think of it more as a buddy movie, about two terminal stricken friends trying to find themselves before they wither away and die. I think it's Gilliams best film after Brazil and may be his most epic film, but not in the traditional sense, but more in the sense that the scope is huge on a small scale.

As for an underrated movie....Galaxy Quest, man. And also John Carpenters The Fog.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

w/o horse

Honestly I think all Spike Lee films outside of Do the Right Thing (which is rated where it should be, if not as underrated as well) and Malcolm X (which is at least overhyped) are underrated.

When people would ask me for a good sad movie to watch, I used to say Summer of Sam.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Stefen

Spike Lee will never get the props he deserves....cause of Spike Jonze.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

soixante

He Got Game was underrated.  Denzel was great, as was the cinematography.  

James Toback's Black and White and Two Girls and a Guy were both underrated.
Music is your best entertainment value.

cowboykurtis

i think heavens gate and year of the dragon are underrated
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

Quote from: cowboykurtisi think heavens gate
i'm considering watching the whole 219mins at this film festival. would u say it's underrated enuff to sit through that experience?
under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

cowboykurtis

i think so - Im a huge cimino fan - so my opinion could very well be biased -  regardless, the pure scale and magnitude met with the backstory of the film is well worth the watch. seeing the creation of a filmmaker who more or less had a blank check from a studio rarely happens in this day and age.
...your excuses are your own...

Weak2ndAct

10 random ones that are my mind these days:

Equilibrium - My logical mind tells me that this movie sucks and is hammy.  Yet the geek inside enjoys the hell out of it and keeps rerenting every now and then.
Another Day in Paradise - Glorious use of Jimmy Woods and finally some appropriate use of Melanie Griffith.  Amazing soundtrack.
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot - Cimino's debut is pretty stunning.  Great performances, not to mention and wonderful left turn where all of the crooks try to hold down day jobs to finance their big score.
Day of the Dead - Often unjustly maligned.  Howard Sherman's turn as Bub rocks.  You won't find a better performance in 'Land.'
Club Dread - It could have been a bad 'Scream' knockoff.  The copious amounts of laughs and Paxton's turn as Pete keeps it afloat.
The Blues Brothers - It's liked, but is it APPRECIATED?  A kick-ass musical, a kick-ass comedy, and some of the best car chases ever put to film.
Zebraman - Fuck franchise superhero flicks, Takashi Miike's film shows what it's like to actually become one.  Consistently fun and entertaining.
Serial Mom - Easily Waters' best film, and highly quotable.  He murdered 'Annie' for God's sake.
The Man Who Wasn't There - I fear this is the last great Coen film.  Funny, mesmerizing, and beautiful.
Wet Hot American Summer - I know it's classified as a 'cult movie' now, but there are still sooooo many people who still haven't seen it.  Paul Rudd is genius in it.  And don't even get me started on Chris Meloni.

hedwig

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Day of the Dead - Often unjustly maligned.  Howard Sherman's turn as Bub rocks.  You won't find a better performance in 'Land.'

Serial Mom - Easily Waters' best film, and highly quotable.  He murdered 'Annie' for God's sake.

The Man Who Wasn't There - I fear this is the last great Coen film.  Funny, mesmerizing, and beautiful.

I definitely agree with these.

Brazoliange

Pink Flamingos and Polyester were better
Long live the New Flesh

Pubrick

Quote from: BrazoliangePink Flamingos and Polyester were better
than what?
under the paving stones.