I, Robot

Started by indiana, October 04, 2003, 04:21:15 PM

oakmanc234

Yea I liked that interrogation scene, how often do you see a robot being interrogated about a murder? "Why'd you kill him, Canner?" / "My name is Sonny" / "What, so we're naming you now, huh?" Very cool scene. I only wish the film had more darker, interesting scenes like that because CGI crowds battling eachother is just not as cool as they used to be...(and by the way that big humans vs. robots scene was just stuuupid)
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

london

Ok, I just saw this movie and my first reaction was Demolition Man.  My second reaction was this was all about showing off Will Smiths muscles.  (when did he get those?) because he didnt show anything else new.  For me, this movie solidified the fact that Will Smith does not play serious well. I couldnt take watching a pained Smith sulk.  He is best in the comedic roles of MIB & Fresh Prince.  I also saw that he was the executive producer so i am sure he wanted to make those ticket sales.  This movie had nothing to do with robots and everything to do with special effects mixed with a half assed social commentary with your obligatory love story.  All of it has been done before in Terminator, Star Wars, and (insert your own).  
However, after all of the standard critiques, i got philosophical about these types of movies.  I thought, of course kids today do not understand that you can get hurt from being hit. Only the bad people die but nothing is really painful.  When the robot's head was run over by the jawa robot transport when they were attacking Will Smith, I wondered how we, the audience, were supposed to feel.  If the robots were "real" with rage as they portrayed them to have,  then we should feel sad that his head was squashed.  But we didnt.  We felt retribution and forgot about it.  And the movie kept going.  So take it for what its worth.
The cheeziest thing was Sonny winking.
The coolest thing  was the name, Spooner.  Don't know why.
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

Ghostboy

Quote from: londonMy second reaction was this was all about showing off Will Smiths muscles.  (when did he get those?)

Ali. Which was the only time he's managed to escape the performance trappings you outlined.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: londonMy second reaction was this was all about showing off Will Smiths muscles.  (when did he get those?)

Ali. Which was the only time he's managed to escape the performance trappings you outlined.

Quote from: In the "Fresh Prince" thread, mogwai and bigideas wrote
Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: bigideasWill Smith actually showed some strong acting chops on the one where his truck driver dad comes to pay him a visit. at the end, he and Uncle Phil talk about his dad and then the camera focuses on a father/son scupture
aw man, when will breaks down and uncle phil hugs him so hard that his cap falls off. i agree, that's a great episode. one other is when will is shot by a robber and carlton has a gun to protect himself.

And I agree with them :)

london

I guess this just brings in the money then because the plot was formulaic.
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

Gold Trumpet

Dissapointing. Really dissapointing because I'm such a fan of Alex Proyas. The Crow is a personal favorite while Dark City will forever go underrated and is in my mind a classic. Last year, when I read what the film would be adapting, I was excited because it seemed daring to adapt 9 completely different stories into one film but as i saw all the trailers, I became disheartened because I knew it would be just another summer action film. Proyas shows his true talent in many of the action scenes, but everything else is so typical for a Will Smith helmer. I love that the film made over 50 million because maybe Proyas can really dig again at a personal project. That being said, his "semi autobiographical" film, Garage Days, wasn't that much better than this film. Still, I enjoyed both films because they are entertaining. Its just a film like Dark City made me expect so much more.

RegularKarate

Garage Days was worse than this... at least this one has some redeeming qualities.

This was exactly what I expected though... shitty screenplay, boring Will Smith, but some interesting action sequences.

The product placement (Converse) was the most pathetic in a long time.

SiliasRuby

DVD Release Date
Source: www.davisdvd.com
Release Date December 7
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Mesh

I, Robot was like watching someone else play a racist video game, where cloistered white girls speak in psychobabble, the cyborg black guy asks for everything to be dumbed down, and all the "bad robots" have big red lamps in 'em so the morons in the audience can keep shit straight.  The robots were about as threatening as C3PO..... Phantom Menace C3PO.

Awful.