Why does anyone like the Boondock Saints?

Started by Born Under Punches, April 22, 2003, 03:09:04 PM

Born Under Punches

I'm not going to flame. I just want a good sizeable defense for this movie.  I myself don't see anything that great, but I just want to know.

Duck Sauce

Its on my Netflix queue, I dont know what it is about but people either love it or hate it from what I see so I decided to give it a chance.

Gold Trumpet

It's a movie that feels smart on first viewing, well it feels smart in its last 20 or so minutes when the *spoiler* surprise twist comes in the two guys and old guy who are off to fight each other and all seems well with the world when they join sides and do good. That gets old, even for me when I was watching it on first viewing. I honestly believe the love for the movie is that. The rest of the movie moves at sea level, with nothing really that satisfying by way of action film, but nothing completely ridiculous. That's on the mind set of the action movie viewer though. What is left is an action film only for the purpose of its action, while speaking of some old colde of fight that is trickery into thinking there is something dramatic going on. It's just an action film, and nothing memorable even for one. If the twist at the end wasn't there, it would have lasted a weekend only in any sort of popularity.

Dafoe, also, is acting for another movie. I don't know which movie, but not the one he is credited for. Too bad his performance seems to match nothing in the movie, though there is not much coherence by way of feeling in it, because it makes Dafoe's performance seem like just another over the top performance that is a like a cue for people to respect it more. It's too bad that way of thinking goes with acting and most actors, even the bad ones, can easily do this so get away with looking good by doing so.

~rougerum

Bud_Clay

I KNOW!...when i was first told abou the movie people presented it to me like they discovered the lost ark! I was full of anticipation and when i finally saw it I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That first scene was one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen.  baffling, simply baffling.

Pedro

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodI KNOW!...when i was first told abou the movie people presented it to me like they discovered the lost ark! I was full of anticipation and when i finally saw it I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That first scene was one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen.  baffling, simply baffling.
Beautiful words, man.  Beautiful.

Ghostboy

The opinions expressed in this thread make me very happy. I never understood the love for this movie. Its just stupid.

Born Under Punches

What was the first scene again?  The lesbian in the butcher shop?

Cecil

i thought it was okay. everyone seems to be rather rough on it. oh well. dafoe, as always, was priceless.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: IllneroWhat was the first scene again?  The lesbian in the butcher shop?

Yeah & there was this really random intercutting with another shot.. i think it was a shot in a helicopter looking down on the city.

EL__SCORCHO

i saw this movie a long time ago and I remember I hated it. it just sucks.

RegularKarate

Yeah... same old shit... people are amazed by the bland sometimes... senseless violence in an attempt to be more than what it is... had a couple of decent scenes, but overall: Nuthin'

polkablues

The only thing noteworthy about it to me was Willem Dafoe's performance.  He and Gary Oldman need to do a movie together where they just trade off being over-the-top.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pedro

Quote from: polkabluesThe only thing noteworthy about it to me was Willem Dafoe's performance.  He and Gary Oldman need to do a movie together where they just trade off being over-the-top.
Not a bad idea.

Dendy

I, also was told that this movie was amazingly inventive and captivating, but was definitely the worst, and least original movie I've seen in the last year.

Did anybody else immediately think of the "I just shot marvin in the face" scene from "Pulp Fiction," when they blew up the cat?

Also, "why don't you make like a tree and get the fuck outta here!"  This made me shudder, becuase the joke was made about 5 different times throughout the "Back to the Future" trilogy.  (oh wait, i guess they did change it from "hell" to "fuck" so i take that back)

I agree that Willem Dafoe was not bad, but he had some really stupid lines in that script.  "that's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deals with abnormally sized men...kind of makes me feel like riverdancin'"  I thought they stopped making fun of riverdance about 5 years ago, not to mention that it's not clever or witty in any way, they just sort of stuck it in there.

Too many matrix-style slow-motion blood splatter shots, and john woo-style gunslinging.  Also, the 2 hitmen reciting a biblical phrase just before killing the enemy, was also very pulp fictiony.

And what was up with saying "fuck" every other fucking word.  I like the word, but it was as if they were using it to be cool, rather than someone cursing a few times because of a fleeting moment of frustration or something.

music was atrocious too.
"The Dude Abides"

snaporaz

Quote from: DendyI, also was told that this movie was amazingly inventive and captivating, but was definitely the worst, and least original movie I've seen in the last year.

Did anybody else immediately think of the "I just shot marvin in the face" scene from "Pulp Fiction," when they blew up the cat?

Also, "why don't you make like a tree and get the fuck outta here!"  This made me shudder, becuase the joke was made about 5 different times throughout the "Back to the Future" trilogy.  (oh wait, i guess they did change it from "hell" to "fuck" so i take that back)

I agree that Willem Dafoe was not bad, but he had some really stupid lines in that script.  "that's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deals with abnormally sized men...kind of makes me feel like riverdancin'"  I thought they stopped making fun of riverdance about 5 years ago, not to mention that it's not clever or witty in any way, they just sort of stuck it in there.

Too many matrix-style slow-motion blood splatter shots, and john woo-style gunslinging.  Also, the 2 hitmen reciting a biblical phrase just before killing the enemy, was also very pulp fictiony.

And what was up with saying "fuck" every other fucking word.  I like the word, but it was as if they were using it to be cool, rather than someone cursing a few times because of a fleeting moment of frustration or something.

music was atrocious too.

what he said.