Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

A revealing interview with Linklater:

"Do you plan to release a DVD with deleted scenes?

Criterion is going to do a really kick ass DVD of Dazed. It is something to look forward to in July. It is going to have commentary tracks, it's going to have hours more of additional footage and interviews it is going to be so cool."

the entire deal:

http://www.filmradar.com/index.php/weblog/entry/making_dazed_catch_you_later_dude_ten_years_later/

SoNowThen

That might just be the biggest waste of a Criterion dvd ever...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

wait, what the fuck was Armageddon?

modage

i've been holding out for years for a decent edition of D&C so i guess this will finally be it.  i had a feeling the 'flashback edition' wasnt going to cut it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Cinephilewait, what the fuck was Armageddon?

It sold a shit-load of copies and financed lots of good, real dvds.

Seems to me (I could be wrong), that D&C isn't that popular to justify as a sell-out disc, and well, the point of the collection is important, hard-to-find films, not totally unimportant already-several-versions-available drek. Now, I know hating D&C (well, really, most of Linklater, period), is a complete personal call, but is it such a good looking movie that it needs some kinda remastering, the dvds that are alreay out aren't good enough? Leave that to the studios, and have good old CC mine the vaults for some more forgotten gems like Touchez Pas Au Grisbi and Night And The City... that's what they're here to do.

Imo.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I think it's more of a case of just trying to be completist, you know? Get the director's whole ouveure? I've noticed them doing that more and more lately.

Dazed And Confused is the only Linklater film I haven't seen, so I'm sorta excited about having the chance to see it in this context, rather than the bare bones DVD that was put out last year.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I really liked Dazed and Confused.  In some weird way it made me nostalgiac for a time I wasn't even around for.

I've held out on buying it for a while because I have the VHS and the DVD's don't offer much, but if the Criterion turns out even a little of how he described it, I'll be picking it up.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Cinephilewait, what the fuck was Armageddon?

It sold a shit-load of copies and financed lots of good, real dvds.

Seems to me (I could be wrong), that D&C isn't that popular to justify as a sell-out disc, and well, the point of the collection is important, hard-to-find films, not totally unimportant already-several-versions-available drek. Now, I know hating D&C (well, really, most of Linklater, period), is a complete personal call, but is it such a good looking movie that it needs some kinda remastering, the dvds that are alreay out aren't good enough? Leave that to the studios, and have good old CC mine the vaults for some more forgotten gems like Touchez Pas Au Grisbi and Night And The City... that's what they're here to do.

Imo.

You really shouldn't be too bothered. Production shouldn't be a hassle. It's really an acquisition on Criterion's part because little has to be done for getting the image perfect and the only job will be editing the extra features. Linklater may even be in control of most of that. Who knows. I just know for the Beyond the Valley of the Dolls dvd, much of the work is being done by Fox. They will then license the work to Criterion to approve and release.

This disc will sell. Probably more so than Armageddon. Armageddon was a general film for a general audience. I'm sure the one disc set sufficed for most people. Dazed and Confused does have a larger following likely to care about a better release because it has been out for so long and already has had a history of trying to get an adaquate dvd released.

I imagine the films that really take up a lot of Criterion's time are Ugetsu and the upcoming Eisenstein Silent box set considering the prints alone need much work.

modage

i thought fox wasnt letting criterion release valley of the dolls?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modagei thought fox wasnt letting criterion release valley of the dolls?

They are, but only on a limited special edition. Its been confirmed here recently on these pages.

ono

RegularKarate

Quote from: md
"But you know what? Behind every good man there's a woman. And that woman was Martha Washington man. And every day George would come home. She'd have a big fat bowl waiting for him man when he'd come in the door man."

haha... oh man, that's so not funny.

This movie was one of the most overrated, overwatched movie of it's time.  I remember people left and right quoting it... jesus, it drove me nuts.

It has it's moments, but it's definitely not his best.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: RegularKarate
It has it's moments, but it's definitely not his best.

I really liked D&C, but I agree it's not his best. I don't really know Criterion worthy this is, but i'm very excited about the features.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: md
"But you know what? Behind every good man there's a woman. And that woman was Martha Washington man. And every day George would come home. She'd have a big fat bowl waiting for him man when he'd come in the door man."

haha... oh man, that's so not funny.

This movie was one of the most overrated, overwatched movie of it's time.  I remember people left and right quoting it... jesus, it drove me nuts.
agreed to the max. all 3 times i've tried to watch this, once stoned, it failed to impress. what's so good about it? it put me to sleep and i felt bad cos my friends were like "oh u gotta see it man" fuck that, i'd rather watch half baked at least that's entertaining.
under the paving stones.