Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2006, 03:23:18 PM

Stefen

Some dude shot a chick during this movie this weekend. Happened right down the street from me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Alexandro on January 12, 2010, 05:36:57 PM
wow. never thought the vatican would make more sense than the majority of the film critics in the world.

are you kidding me? the vatican can go fuck itself. who goes to the vatican for advice on entertainment? or anything else for that matter?

i'll be sure to tune in to the vatican radio station next week to see what they think of the new google phone. by golly they sure know their modern shit!
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

Quote from: ρ on January 12, 2010, 09:40:55 PM
Quote from: Alexandro on January 12, 2010, 05:36:57 PM
wow. never thought the vatican would make more sense than the majority of the film critics in the world.

are you kidding me? the vatican can go fuck itself. who goes to the vatican for advice on entertainment? or anything else for that matter?

i'll be sure to tune in to the vatican radio station next week to see what they think of the new google phone. by golly they sure know their modern shit!

they know a lot. besides their obligatory idiotic point on religious beliefs everything else mentioned in that article has more truth than the bullshit critics have been preaching as excuses for the emptiness of avatar.
look:
"not much behind the images" (meaning it looks awesome but the story sucks), check.
"bland" (meaning it's supposed to be about standing up against the man but feels like an average hollywood bullshit movie in the end), check.
"So much stupefying, enchanting technology but few genuine emotions" (meaning you can see every single fuckin thing that's going to happen a mile away...as a friend pointed out to me 'it's as if the movie is trying to see how many cliches it can squeeze into two and a half hours, as when the moment you see the blue chick, you just know is the tribe chief's daugther'), check.
"Everything is reduced to an overly simple anti-imperialistic and anti-imperialistic parable" (as opposed to the embarrassing editorials that have been popping up about the "hidden" political agenda of the film), check.
"tells the story without going deep into it, ends up falling into sappiness", (do I have to explain this one?), check.

they paraphrase: "no heir to sci-fi masterpieces of the past", and we all know they are certainly talking about 2001, which is the kind of film you would expect from a smart guy who can do whatever he wants like james cameron, and which is certainly much much modern shit than avatar will ever hope to be. you can say whatever you want, but those small criticisms are right on the money. the fact that some people are choosing to go with that flow doesn't mean they are false, and it is weird that the fucking vatican says it instead of the so called professional critics coming all over their panties because the film looks amazing.

cronopio 2

one thing's for sure: the people who don't like this film are much more passionate about the fact that they didn't like the film than the ones who liked the film are passionate about the fact that they enjoyed the film. i have friends who find it necessary to talk shit about this movie. they use their facebook status to express vitriol. i'm not against that. it's just proof  that nothing will ever please everyone. i've had conflicts with what has been said about being comformist if you didn't mind the problems with the movie. i don't consider myself a comformist, but who would? i'm not with the 'can't you just enjoy it?!' team either. i agree with what stefen said about it being the kind of movie you'd be obsessed when you were young. the end.

ps. i find it funny that people feel so observant when they compare the story to pocahontas. you have the right to kick a person's  face if they say the words 'pocahontas in space' with the pride of authorship. that's just another example of how unimaginative and stupid we've become to have original thoughts and reflections. i liked your post, polka.

Alexandro

my personal experience was that i went to the fucking midnight premiere, spent a whole lot of dough I don't really have, even bought overpriced popcorn and coke and saw it with my mouth wide open for about an hour. then I mostly really enjoyed it. But after it was over there was no denying that for all it's visual flair, it was just too mechanical for me to enjoy it. I honestly wasn't thinking on Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves while watching it...I was thinking more about stuff like Independence Day, another event film with a big WOW effect in it's time that no one can watch today without cringing for it's absurd predictability. Personally, the weeks after that day, with critics and audiences talking about this film as some sort of milestone have been baffling to me. Maybe that's why you Cronopio, feel that "passion" from people like me. Another film Avatar reminded me of is Titanic, because I went to see it, almost shit in my pants with the whole thing, though by the end I felt it was a little bland. A year later I try to see it on dvd and I'm unable to finish it. Haven't seen it complete since. It is just too fucking predictable and (you will know what I mean cause you are mexican) too much like watching an ultra big budget mexican soap opera cinderella rehash AGAIN.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Fernando on January 11, 2010, 01:11:40 PM
yeah, that's ridiculous.

in other news. holy shit! right now this is the 2nd highest grossing film worldwide...

titanic   1,842.9m
lotr.rotk 1,119.1m

i wonder if Cameron's publicists are doing the old school thing by buying millions of tickets/buying out theaters themselves in order to make people think "so many other people are going, I think I will now." there's no need now, but the first week or so.

does anyone still do that? (or I guess they wouldn't say if they did). maybe nobody ever does it and it's all my imagination. or is it the music industry? fart.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alexandro

maybe they do a little bit of that on the first weekend on certain movies but this one took off on it's own pretty much instantly.

MacGuffin

James Cameron seeded Avatar with sequel hints
Source: MTV

We reported waaay back in December that James Cameron always planned sequels to his now-blockbuster Avatar, and now Entertainment Weekly has a few more details.

In its current issue, the magazine quotes the director as saying he left scenes in the movie to set up a subsequent movie. Or movies.

But not only did director James Cameron always believe that the film would be a hit—he was even planning a sequel during production. "I've had a storyline in mind from the start—there are even scenes in Avatar that I kept in because they lead to the sequel," Cameron says. "It just makes sense to think of it as a two or three film arc, in terms of the business plan."
It famously took Cameron 15 or more years to develop the tech and ideas for Avatar, but now that the infrastructure is in place, it won't take that long to mount a second movie, he added. And star Sam Worthington has already signed on for a sequel.

Earlier, Cameron offered this to MTV.com:

Cameron made clear that the next film won't be a prequel, recounting previous backstory, but will begin after the events of the initial movie. "We'll follow Jake and Neytiri," he confirmed.

In fact, Cameron intends to follow the couple for another two films. "I have a trilogy-scaled arc of story right now, but I haven't really put any serious work into writing a script," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 14, 2010, 04:44:52 PM"I have a trilogy-scaled arc of story right now, but I haven't really put any serious work into writing a script,"
Evidently! mwahh.

polanski's illegitimate baby

I saw this film, hungover and high as hell so i walked out not even sure of why i liked it except, of course, that it was the most beautiful movie i've ever seen. Later, i was kind of dumbfounded to acknowledge that this was probably the first movie ever that i judged exclusively on looks. So that kind of started biting my self-esteem as a more vigilant viewer and an art fag. Ultimately i came to a boring understanding that the film was a technological breakthrough, an example of visual art with a good taste. Maybe a metaphor for some American political aggression in the third world or something trite like that too but i am sure no one gives a shit if that is the case. The thing i am concerned with, is how this 3d wave is going to play out on my favorite directors, whether they all are going to jump on the bandwagon and ride the 3d dick. I am not trying to be a conservative foundationalist here; i think it is a legitimate concern. I am just wondering what i'd feel if i saw the next Magnolia or something in 3d and whether that would take away from the idea of the film. Although, i am sure PTA would know better what would compromise his vision. Actually never mind, frog rain in 3d would be awesome... I guess i just feel weird... kind of bicurious maybe...
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: polanski's illegitimate baby on January 16, 2010, 07:44:31 PM
it was the most beautiful movie i've ever seen.

How many movies have you ever seen?

Also, who are you?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on January 16, 2010, 08:35:19 PM

Also, who are you?

he's actually a pretty awesome new member, welcome man

Oh what, i have to introduce myself?  I thought the internet was all about anonymous shit talk. Oooops...:)
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

Neil

Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on January 16, 2010, 08:35:19 PM

Also, who are you?

Come one walrus, don't let the xixaxians who follow THE RULES OF MESSAGES BOARDS rub off on you. youcandobetter.

And DUDE (dude meaning polanski's illegitimate)  THere is internet etiquette. better learn now, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

I did read the rules... five years ago when i first joined. I must've forgotten them. :) I also did not find it fitting to bust out with a self-analytical autobiography in an AVATAR thread. :) But, if you like, i can send you my resume so you can do my background check. :)

Until then, please enjoy my myspace http://www.myspace.com/playspace