Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2006, 03:23:18 PM

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen on January 20, 2010, 04:00:18 PM
haha, that's bullshit. That dude just died. He didn't have a heart attack because Avatar was too exciting. He died. It could have happened during a Ron Howard movie.

This film is getting ridiculous right now.

There's usually always one of these type reports with any really big action movie or the newest 'scariest movie ever made.' This has been seen by so many people now (against my lame predictions) that the probability that someone dies in the middle of some screening somewhere around the world is probably pretty good.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

I'm not doubting he died during Avatar. I'm just doubting the pure awesomeness of Avatar was the cause. That dude could have died watching Leno.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

I die every time I watch Leno.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Here's a kind of loosely related Cameron sentiment that I'm sure P will find something to say about:

I wonder how many 1,000's, 10's of 1,000's of young boys Cameron was responsible for showing them their first breasts (Kate Winslet)? I didn't see Titanic until it had been out a while and since it was PG-13 I'm sure a lot of parents brought young kids to see it. I can remember a pair of young boys sitting behind me and wondering how awestruck they probably were during that scene.

With that in mind, I wonder if there is a whole generation of men who equate all breasts to that of Kate Winslet's at the time of Titanic.

I guess somewhat similar to the stigmata attached to Phobe Cates/Ridgemont, though that was much more sexual in context whereas the Titanic scene can be classified as 'artistic.'

P: Bigideas, is such a waste of a post. He noticed the young boys...he must be gay!

Bigideas: Yes, I realize it doesn't add anything to the Avatar discussion. Just something on my mind and a cinephilactic crowd is the only type that could even understand that sentiment. Nothing of note to start a new thread, I thought I would just throw it in a Cameron thread thinking someone else might find it interesting or wondering if anyone had even thought something along these lines.

And no, I am quite attracted to women, though I rarely feel the sentiment returned.

P: You know, I have to admit, you are so good you make ME waste a post just to tell you that YOU wasted a post. Ah...*swoons*...I love to hate you!

Everybody else: No, we agree. It was a waste of a post.

Bigideas: Ok. I am really more on lurker mode now anyway since I don't get to see most newer movies until months after they are on DVD. Most films I watch are older films and this board does not really promote the talk of older films unless in the context of a director's body of work (my idea of a thread where you list movies you have watched recently was shot down I think).

Luckily, I just(?!?) found out that you could get notifications without actually posting in the thread. In the past sometimes I would only make a short statement so I could get updates.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pas

RegularKarate

I was with you until you went crazy.

Fun fact:  I used to know James Cameron's Nephew (Suzy Amis' nephew, really... and I haven't spoken to him in years) and he used to hang out with Cameron a lot (had some crazy stories about Uncle Richy Rich's Riches) and told me (not in a joking way) that Cameron confirmed that Kate Winslett's nipple was CG'd over because Cameron didn't like the way it looked (slightly inverted).

I've always wondered if that was true.  Not something I would normally believe... but I think Cameron at least TOLD him that.

Pas

hahaha I'm sure it's true! Stefen will be in shock

Pozer

fun fact: James Cameron lived in my neighborhood community in the 70s (Placentia, CA). in '98 he led the town's annual parade that went down the street that parallels mine (didnt live here at the time tho). he also went to college in the town i lived in prior to (Fullerton, CA). no one cares about this information in real life the way i do so a cinephilacticific crowd such as you guyses is the only type that could ever understand such a sentiment. i often lay in bed, imagining all the cinephilia jism he mustve spunked up in my hood: liquid effects, manipulated water, blue ppl, perfect nipples...

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 22, 2010, 10:59:00 AM
Fun fact:  I used to know James Cameron's Nephew (Suzy Amis' nephew, really... and I haven't spoken to him in years) and he used to hang out with Cameron a lot (had some crazy stories about Uncle Richy Rich's Riches) and told me (not in a joking way) that Cameron confirmed that Kate Winslett's nipple was CG'd over because Cameron didn't like the way it looked (slightly inverted).

Quote from: Pas Rap on June 15, 2009, 05:14:24 PM
she has the ugliest godforsaken tits tho

VALIDATED!

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Bigideas, you should make that script you wrote into a double feature with an intermission. Has anyone really seen Avatar? lol
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: bigideas on January 22, 2010, 10:18:15 AM
I guess somewhat similar to the stigmata attached to Phobe Cates/Ridgemont, though that was much more sexual in context whereas the Titanic scene can be classified as 'artistic.'

I love that movie.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Gremlins 3 in 3D thanks to Jim Cameron. Just read it on the wire.

Everything in 3D thanks to Jim Cameron. Why did we give this guy power again? What the fuck did we get ourselves into?

mogwai

Quote from: Stefen on January 25, 2010, 03:46:07 AM
Gremlins 3 in 3D thanks to Jim Cameron. Just read it on the wire.

Everything in 3D thanks to Jim Cameron. Why did we give this guy power again? What the fuck did we get ourselves into?

Exactly, no one gave a fuck when "Jaws 3D" came out. Hm..

MacGuffin

It's official: Avatar is now the highest-grossing movie EVER
Source: SciFi Wire

It's official: As expected, James Cameron's Avatar on Monday officially pulled ahead of Cameron's other big movie, about some boat, to become the biggest-grossing movie of ALL TIME.

Twentieth Century Fox said that the sci-fi epic had amassed an estimated global total box office take of $1.8437 billion, just ahead of Titanic's worldwide total of $1,843,201,268, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The worldwide crown isn't adjusted for inflation, and Avatar's high grosses were certainly boosted by higher ticket prices overall and especially for 3-D and IMAX screenings. (Check BoxOfficeMojo for the full list of inflation-adjusted grosses.)

So if you haven't seen Avatar yet, you're the only one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 26, 2010, 12:59:36 AM
So if you haven't seen Avatar yet, you're the only one.

Not a bad feeling. If this movie would have come out in the summer when all the other options for me were Hollywood movies that wanted to be Avatar, then I would be more about seeing it, but my shit city is starting to get some decent movies courtesy of award season so I'll happily pass on an overpriced special effects show.