Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2006, 03:23:18 PM

matt35mm

To be fair, that "Introduce Yourself" thread is lost somewhere in the unsearchableness of XIXAX.  Without that, you pretty much just have to... start.

polkablues

It's actually stickied at the top of Idle Chatter (here). We don't need your autobiography, but it's nice to know who you are, where you're from, what your cinematic interests are, and maybe what prompted you to start posting after all this time as a member. It's not a requirement or anything, and despite warnings to the contrary, you won't be pilloried if you don't comply, but we always appreciate it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

YOU MADE ME LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT, POLKA!

I like that.

polanski's illegitimate baby

So, let me get this straight, every new member has to introduce himself yet, no one introduces themselves to a new member who is just as much of a member as any member joined before him. So, in fact, you have included a pyramid scheme in your board rules with top tier collecting all the information while keeping the bottom tier in utter ignorance and despair. Lets assume you're 5 minutes late for class and the teacher makes you introduce yourself because you're late. Would that make you feel welcome? No, you would say, im no different than these students; why do i have to introduce myself and they not? One reason this forum cannot be compared to an extracurricular club such as the Asian club or the Rainbow club is because i can physically join without introducing myself. If you joined an Asian club you would have to introduce yourself immediately in which case you would probably get a quick reply from a friendly group of asians. Do you guarantee 1300 members introducing themselves to me? Well if not, then i cannot participate in this unfair business. I am not at all saying that perhaps you should've made the board private. :) But, you cannot have a functioning mandatory informational pyramid scheme within a democratic forum of discussion. Anyway, i am just kidding. LOL
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Jesus Christ, I don't care if he introduces himself.  I actually thought he was a fake account by someone else here, the username is the kind I'd expect out of a quick dummy account for an oddly dated joke.  For fuck's sake, my surname used to be kookookajoob.

Who he is just helps give context to the assertion that he's making, as in, what he considers beauty to be in relation to film.

Let's not overlook my first (actual) question:  Is this really the most beautiful film you've ever seen?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: polanski's illegitimate baby on January 17, 2010, 12:43:51 AM
So, let me get this straight

no no no. don't listen to Neil, he's a fucking idiot. and polka, as one of the admin, was just saying that sometimes (for most newbs who are bona fide newbs) it's useful for other members to let themselves be known sort of as a way to put a name to a face, so to speak.

but you don't need to do that, and no "newb" who comes bolting from the start in the way you hav would need to either. just keep on rockin each thread like you hav so far, you're on point and already one of the more valued members of the site by virtue of having complete, concise, and intelligible opinions on a wide array of films.

go you good thing!
under the paving stones.

polkablues

And if you send in your nominations for the 2010 Xixax Awards before January 31st without complaining about how soon it is, you automatically become my favorite member (that offer actually applies to everyone here).

Pas

Quote from: polanski's illegitimate baby on January 17, 2010, 12:43:51 AM
Lets assume you're 5 minutes late for class and the teacher makes you introduce yourself because you're late. Would that make you feel welcome? No, you would say, im no different than these students; why do i have to introduce myself and they not? One reason this forum cannot be compared to an extracurricular club such as the Asian club or the Rainbow club is because i can physically join without introducing myself. If you joined an Asian club you would have to introduce yourself immediately in which case you would probably get a quick reply from a friendly group of asians.

hahaha

Neil

P, guys, it was a joke.  We all know I caught a ton of shit, because i didn't properly introduce myself.

I understand sarcasm can be difficult to detect on the internet, but I was simply doing just that, being sarcastic.

Welcome!

Back to avatar?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pas

cause that would be a boring choice

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polanski's illegitimate baby

By beautiful, i meant, in the most superficial sense of the word. I certainly did not think anything of the story except, like i said, the political metaphor and some nuances of tolerance, love and other stock emotions. So, all in all, it was like half a movie for me. 
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

polkablues

Pretty funny.  A lot of obvious jokes, but they hit it on the head in a few places.  Best line: "ALL THINGS IN JAMES CAMERON'S DREAMS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE FUTURE!"

MacGuffin

Man died after watching Avatar - doctor

A 42-year-old Taiwanese man with a history of high blood pressure has died of a stroke likely triggered by over-excitement from watching the blockbuster Avatar in 3D, a doctor says.

The man, identified only by his surname Kuo, started to feel unwell during the screening earlier this month in the northern city of Hsinchu and was taken to hospital.

Mr Kuo, who suffered from hypertension, was unconscious when he arrived at the Nan Men General Hospital and a scan showed that his brain was haemorrhaging, emergency room doctor Peng Chin-chih said today.

"It's likely that the over-excitement from watching the movie triggered his symptoms,'' the doctor said.

Mr Kuo died 11 days later from the brain haemorrhage, and the China Times newspaper said it was the first death linked to watching James Cameron's science-fiction epic Avatar.

Film blogging sites have reported complaints of headaches, dizziness, nausea and blurry eyesight from viewers of Avatar and other movies rich in 3D imagery.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

haha, that's bullshit. That dude just died. He didn't have a heart attack because Avatar was too exciting. He died. It could have happened during a Ron Howard movie.

This film is getting ridiculous right now.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.