Hostel

Started by Ghostboy, May 26, 2005, 02:40:16 PM

RegularKarate

I'm seeing this tonight...

um, Hostel, not the guy jerking off thing.

RegularKarate

Okay... so, I saw it.  Now what?

This wasn't the final cut.  There was a kinda crummy temp score and the effects were CLEARLY not finished.  The sound in general sucked as well.

Once I got over these things, I enjoyed myself pretty well.

I can see this getting way overhyped already.  They told us about how many people walked out on it during the last screening and Cabin Fever was possibly one of the most overhyped films ever made.  If the hype doesn't get out of control, this movie will probably satisfy horror fans... otherwise, it's probably going to disapoint.

I think it's possible that the people who left during the first screening were just out for some water because while it got me squirming a couple of times, I've seen way more gore than this and while the movie doesn't TOTALLY rely on the gore, it's definitly an important part of it.  There are some serious implausibilites in the film too.

**SPOILERS**

I still don't know what internet thing this was based on.  There were a couple of scenes that made me wonder.  The only thing I could really think of was that video of the woman walking into a moving train.
It also could have been the blown up face guy, but if so, they decided to tame it down a bit for the movie.

**END SPOILERS**

All in all, I give this six of Mod's horror-movie skulls... maybe six and a half, but that's pushing it.

modage

yeah, it's impossible for me already to enjoy this movie.  even though I KNOW it's been overhyped, and i should lower my expectations to reasonable levels, i cant and now its just a matter of waiting to be disappointed.  but as long as its better than cabin fever, atleast he's making progress.  but yeah, the first batch of reviews got me SO PSYCHED for this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Lions Gate makes room for 'Hostel'

Lions Gate Films will handle North American theatrical and television distribution for Screen Gems' R-rated "Hostel," the extreme gore-fest from writer-director Eli Roth. In a shared-pot deal, Screen Gems will keep domestic home video and international theatrical distribution rights to the film, which is set for release Dec. 21. The companies will share all revenue on the picture. Quentin Tarantino, Scott Spiegel and Boaz Yakin are executive producers on the project, which centers on an American backpacker (Jay Hernandez) who stumbles upon a mob-run torture ring involving human trafficking and sex tourism. Mike Fleiss and Chris Briggs are producers of the project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

sweet!  release before the end of the year.  just in time for oscar contention!  this is going to ruin my xmas buzz though.  :(
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date:  December 21st, 2005 (wide)

Starring: Jay Hernandez, Derek Richardson, Eythor Gudjonsson, Barbara Nedeljakova, Jana Kaderabkova

Screenwriter: Eli Roth

Directed by: Eli Roth  

Premise: HOSTEL is an amalgamation of many of terrifying things about human nature and the world at large, culled from lots of pulpy-but-true stories of international organized crime, human trafficking, and sex tourism. Relentlessly graphic and deeply disturbing, the film is rife with explicit sex and brutal violence that may delight hard core genre fans, and prove difficult to stomach for general audiences.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

eh.  i'm not more psyched for it now.  its like Saw without the cool stuff.  i guess they rushed this out after the release date announcement, but still, you'd think Eli could've come up with something, i dunno, cool for a teaser.  

From The Brilliant Minds Who Brought You...  :yabbse-rolleyes:
Inspired By True Events.... :yabbse-rolleyes:

who brought us Texas Chainsaw Massacre that has anything to do with this?

RegularKarate

Haha,  Mod, you crack me up... up, down, up, down...

It's not like Saw though... I haven't even seen Saw, but from what I've heard/read about it, they're not very similar.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there are like a billion boobs in this movie.  In fact, there is far more screen time devoted to boobs than to torture.

matt35mm

Quote from: RegularKarateOh yeah, I forgot to mention that there are like a billion boobs in this movie.  In fact, there is far more screen time devoted to boobs than to torture.
Oh, you just forgot to mention that little detail, did you now?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateIt's not like Saw though... I haven't even seen Saw, but from what I've heard/read about it, they're not very similar.
i just meant the trailer: being locked in a room and tortured.  but i'm sure the films will be totally different.  the trailer was kinda lame but it doesnt dampen my enthusiasm, it just doesnt increase it.  but RK, though seriously, SEE SAW!

Pwaybloe

matt35mm

... just kidding you guys.

mogwai

is that steven soderbergh in the background?

picolas

that's definetly pta.

skye_thorstenson

my friend directed the documentary film that had that scene in it. it is way sick. the info of the movie is here...
http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=106807

Quote from: matt35mm on September 05, 2005, 07:02:51 PM
Quote from: 72teethAs for the grossest i've ever seen, It was this guy jacking off and he squeezed his dick real hard as to get all the blood up to the head...then he took a needle and pricked the side of it real quick. First it just looked like one drop of blood, but then he put his hand next to it to reveal a thin stream of blood shooting out...Ugghh, just thinking about... :elitist:
I'd love if Hostel is actually based on this.