Before Sunset

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 01:30:24 AM

samsong

Quote from: Cinephileprobably the funniest review of the year.

understatement of the year.

modage

i dont see how its that funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02i dont see how its that funny.
i think cinephile was purposely overrating ur post. for his own twisted purposes :| .

looking at ur sig, and samsong's reply, maybe it's hyperbole day.

for what it's worth, i don't think it was even in the top 50 of ur own reviews.
under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

My logical mind tells me that a movie where two people just walk and talk for 80 minutes should not be this fucking great.  But damn it, it is.

When Julie said 'I used to live on 11th and Broadway,' I burst into tears.  And God, don't get me started on that scene in the car... Wow.

So yeah, I liked it.

Thrindle

Sigh... what a beautiful birthday present (today is my 21st).  It's not very often that the screen is blessed with art... at least not lately it seems.  To capture, and recreate a feeling is (in my opinon) the beauty behind art.  It is one of the most difficult things in the world to express a moment with all of it's complexities and truths, and yet this movie did it.

MINI SPOILER????

The look on Ethan Hawke's face at the end of the movie, when he says, "I know" was perfect.
Classic.

context, context, context.

UncleJoey

Quote from: ThrindleSigh... what a beautiful birthday present (today is my 21st).  

Happy Birthday. Almost the same day as mine (I turned 22 on the 13th).

I absolutely loved this movie. One of the best endings I've seen in a long time. I would rank this as the second best movie of the year, behind Eternal Sunshine. Also, it's an addition to the short list of sequels that surpass the first installment. This makes me want to revisit Linklater's earlier work. I saw Dazed and Confused and Suburbia when I was in ninth grade (I think . . .). I loved Dazed and hated Suburbia. I'll make sure to rent both of them soon, as well as Waking Life, etc.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Thrindle

Is there talk of another sequel?  (if this topic has been covered, it's just because I'm a lazy reader)
Classic.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ThrindleIs there talk of another sequel?  (if this topic has been covered, it's just because I'm a lazy reader)

They talk about wanting to do about four of them on the Making Of, but I don't know how concrete that plan is.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinThey talk about wanting to do about four of them on the Making Of, but I don't know how concrete that plan is.
Well at least I can trust Linklater will make them good.. I guess he wants to film the characters dying together.. as if we need that closure or something. Before Sunset *should* be the end of it. But I'll deal.

brockly

Quote from: UncleJoeyI would rank this as the second best movie of the year, behind Eternal Sunshine.

right now its in my top 3. i hadn't looked in this thread or seen the original before going into this, so it was a wonderful surprise. so far, one big dissapointment for me this year (shaun of the dead) matched by 2 terrific surprises (baadassss, this). awsome

matt35mm

Quote from: UncleJoeyI'll make sure to rent both of them soon, as well as Waking Life, etc.
Renting Waking Life has the additional benefit of another Jesse/Celine scene in the dreamworld.

Finn

I saw Before Sunrise over the weekend and really loved it. I think I almost enjoyed it more than Before Sunset in some ways. The ending was kind of a downer without the sequel with it though. I need to see Before Sunset again now that I've seen the first one.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

grand theft sparrow

Finally sat down to watch this.

I fucking cried.

I fucking loved it.

Julie Delpy broke my heart with that song.

Definitely in my top ten for the year.

matt35mm