Before Sunset

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 01:30:24 AM

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

matt35mm

Looks good to me!  And "El Duderino"... nice quick application of the Simpsons quotation.

El Duderino

Quote from: matt35mmnice quick application of the Simpsons quotation.

thanks, it was either that or "I told this to Shatner and I'm telling it to you...I don't date men with pie on their faces."
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ghostboy

I went out to try to find Before Sunrise last night on DVD, and the three stores that I went to didn't have it -- I guess everyone's trying to catch up before the sequel?

So I saw Before Sunset this morning, and I loved it. Loved loved loved it. The entire movie is in real time, one long conversation that has a desperate bit of urgency to it, as if this little bit of time is all these characters will ever have together and they need to say everything they need to, and it all just pours out and doesn't stop. It was like Waking Life with a narrower conversational focus, which left me feeling linked intrinscially not so much to the characters but what they were saying and feeling. I have a feeling that ten years from now, there may be a person I'll have a conversation like this with. There's one physical aspect of the film, a gesture Delpy makes at one point, that is just about heartbreaking.

Of course, the questions left hanging by the first film are now answered for me -- but I can tell that this one is written in such a way to maintain that ambiguity. There's no spoonfeeding or sloppy exposition.

matt35mm

Glad to hear it!  Looking very much forward to it.

Ghostboy

I saw a double feature today of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, and the latter is now my favorite film of the year. I couldn't believe I'd never seen Before Sunrise before...I loved it so much, and then to see the sequel immediately thereafter was just...I don't know...rapturous.

I'll be seeing it a third time opening day. I can't wait.

EDIT: finished my full review.

EDIT #2: after having it posted on AICN, I was alerted to the fact that I revealed some spoiler information in my review. Which is true. So read with caution.

jonas

I'm seeing this tonight. I rented Before Sunrise a couple of weeks ago, so it's still fresh in my mind.

It's getting great reviews all around, so Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind might have some stiff competition for #1 of the year (so far).
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

pete

yeah before sunset is quite quite wonderful.  it just never stopped and kept on building up.  woohoo!
the ending was just so beautiful.  it sucked that ebert and roeper had to give away a little bit of it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mutinyco

Yeah...I thought it was cute, but slight. Saw it a few months ago. My problem, all things considered, is that I don't feel there ever should have been a sequel in the first place. Part of what made the original special was its open ending.

I liked that Linklater was trying to deal with adult issues for the first time, but I still couldn't help feeling that this film had no need to exist.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

pete

*kinda hinted spoiler*

but this film first discusses the first film's open ending, and then moves on to its own open ending, which I loved.  it was "slight" in that it took place in two hours and their lives didn't seem to change as much, but it was because they were now cynical and afraid and such.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mutinyco

Yeah, I got that. That's why I said it was interesting that he was dealing with adult themes. I still felt there was no need for it to ever have been made though.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Chest Rockwell

Bleh, movies never come to Cracksonville. Dogville never came and this won't either, I'm predicting.

nix

Perfect. Just plain perfect.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Just Withnail

I just got a hold of the first one, and watched it for the first time a couple of days ago. Really good. I was thinking about it yesterday, thinking that making that kind of an ending work and having their dialouge and reactions seem believable for two people who've known each other no more than a single day, that takes good writing/acting (directing? :P). Sunrise pulled it off smoothly.

matt35mm

Quote from: Withnailthat takes good writing/acting (directing? :P).
Oh MY yes.  Linklater's my hero...

My order of Before Sunrise just shipped today so I should get that soon.  I plan on watching it again before driving out a long way to see Before Sunset (damn limited release...).