Before Sunset

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 01:30:24 AM

pete

there were a few recurring Linklater traits in there.  The realtime, no extradiagetic music thing was first experimented in Tape (also with Ethan Hawke), and the monologue in the beginning of the movie by Jesse as a reference to the film was reminiscent of Waking Life when Souderbergh and some other dude were discussing the non-narrative nature of the film.  And also there was a reference about how time was just an illusion.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

I absolutely love this movie.  I'm going to see it again soon.  I've never seen a movie that so genuinely made me feel that surrealness of seeing someone after nine years like that.  I mean, I had only recently seen Before Sunrise and yet I still FELT that nine years, and I felt the lives they had led (as they fairly vividly describe them).

It was like meeting up with old friends again myself.  And even though the movie is just talking (it looks nice, too, that helps), the dialogue is so good and comes so fast that I was hooked every minute.  I could probably watch it over and over again.  It's just very very enjoyable.  I was quite satisfied.

Raikus

It finally arrived at my town and I saw it last night. My face hurt from smiling so much throughout the movie. Definitely my favorite film so far this year. I'll really be pushing come Academy Awards time for best actor/actress noms for Hawke and Delpy. The interaction and just sheer acting power of those solid 3 (maybe 4) minutes shots is astounding.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

matt35mm

Yes.  I plan on seeing it again soon as it also opened near me.

It really does make you smile a lot.  And when I say it's "romantic," which it is, I have to be careful not to make it sound sappy.  They never (in either movie) say "I love you."  In fact, in Before Sunset, there's a surprising amount of bitterness and cynicism--it's in some ways quite a harsh movie, not the soft and bubbly movie that some might think--but it's romantic because there is never a second of doubt that these two people love each other to death.  That's the brilliance of the writing and the acting: the love simply shows through.

And I swear Julie Delpy looks even more beautiful in this movie than she did in Before Sunrise.

Raikus

Quote from: matt35mmAnd I swear Julie Delpy looks even more beautiful in this movie than she did in Before Sunrise.
She sure did. But I'm not into French fatties.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Chest Rockwell

So I saw this last night and thought it so good that I needed to end my leave of absense just to come back and talk about how it was so good. I may even like this one more than the first - at least in the sense that I felt more attached to them this time around, though that might be just because I've already met them in Sunrise. And I was amazed with how quick that hour and half went. By the end it felt like it was only 45 minutes or so.

***SPOILER***
It's funny, this time I want to know what happens after the fact much more than I did after the first. Are they finally getting together? Is he ever going to get on the plane? I want there to be another sequel, dammit.
***END SPOILER***

matt35mm

You were on a leave of absense?

THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS POST, I DUNNO

Anyway, I've seen Sunrise and Sunset twice each, and I've decided that I like Sunset more.  It appeals to me more, it goes deeper into who these people are and what they feel for each other.  It looks more beautiful and flows better (this is just because they're more accomplished filmmakers now).

In Sunrise, there was the sense of just meeting, and they were communicating their history and ideas.  In Sunset, towards the end a genuine sense of urgency takes over (in the car) and for the first time, their deepest feelings are communicated.

Mostly, though, I think it's because Sunset has the benefit of perspective.  It worked on the level of where they are now in life, and played off the level of where they were in life 9 years ago.  They're wiser, they have more to say.  They have less time together, so they're more to-the-point now.  Even though the movie is only 80 mins long, there is enough dialogue here for 5 movies, and yet I feel that each line of dialogue is important and not wasted.  Even in their more casual discussions, there's a sense of intimacy that's developed at a rapid pace, and every line of dialogue develops our sense of their character even more.  They're more real towards each other now--cutting through all the BS--and not afraid to show how bitter and unhappy they have been at times.  That's where this movie becomes surprisingly emotional and effective--when all their guards are let down.  That never happens in Before Sunrise.

The movie is lean and fast, very nimble.  No one talks that much in real life.  No one goes 80 minutes without pausing for 10 seconds.  I don't believe that there is a pause in dialogue longer than 10 seconds here, and it's all in "real-time."  And yet it all feels correct--this is mostly the skill of the writers, actors, and the director (all the same 3 people), and the editor.

That's what makes this movie very watchable.  There's not a boring moment--every second of this movie is spent with them.  And it's pretty.  So I love this movie, and I love it more than Before Sunrise.  I even have the poster in my room taped to the wall (got that a few days ago).  Awesome poster.  Awesome movie.

Alethia

if i could make love to this movie, i would.

Chest Rockwell

I'll trade you a Collateral poster I got from the sneak preview for the Before Sunset poster. :P

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardif i could make love to this movie, i would.

There are sprocket holes in reels.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Wow, eward, MacGuffin just made a pretty big assumption about your manhood!

For the record, a better option would be to consider the hole at the center of the reel before its unspooled. It's about two inches in diameter.

matt35mm

Quote from: Chest RockwellI'll trade you a Collateral poster I got from the sneak preview for the Before Sunset poster. :P
Nah man, I loves my Before Sunset poster!

P.S. How did this Before Sunset thread become a How-To on having sex with films?

P.P.S. I also told someone that I would have sex with this movie if I could a while ago.  Interesting... I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that had that idea.

Alethia

Thrindle

I'm so fucking jealous of all of you.  My stupid fucking town has no class, so it's all about Harold and Kumar (no I'm not going to see it, because no I don't smoke weed).  

I just hopped on the bitter bus and I'm taking me a ride...  :evil:
Classic.

matt35mm

But... but I'm going see Harold and Kumar (hopefully).  What are you saying about my character?  I don't smoke weed, either.

I just hopped on the confusion bus and I have no idea where I'm headed.   :?: