Serenity (or Firefly: The Movie)

Started by Raikus, June 04, 2004, 06:33:27 PM

Raikus

Fans of the show, namely me, should be pretty excited to hear this:

Whedon Announces April 22nd, 2005 Release Date
SUBMITTED BY Typhon24

June 4, 2004 —

Writer/Director Joss Whedon updated fans after his first day of shooting on 'Serenity', including the first official confirmation of the film's release date:

"Hi guys. Just wanted to give you some news but guess what? I can't get on the site. I have trouble with passwords. So hopefully Chris B will forward this to you with his wily technical knowledgablosity.

Today was (as I think you know) the first day of filming of Serenity. Which is pretty big for me (it felt weird to START with Mal's death, but scheduling isn't my area). It was a blast. Sean said it was like school was back in session after summer vacation, which I have decided to take as a compliment. Gina did a happy dance (and there are few happier sights than Gina doing a happy dance). We're still flying. And the best part is, that's not even why I'm posting.

The real news, and you heard it here first, is that Universal has thrown down an official release date! So mark your calendars, Browncoats, 'cause if you're planning to get married on April 22nd 2005, you better change the date. Seriously. Who gets married in April? Just change it.

April 22nd. Exactly when I wanted to open, 'cause it's SOON. I can't wait for you all to see what we're putting together. It's a crazy-quilt of infotainment that like to call a 'film', and it just may be the best one ever made. Or one of the ones in the middle. Probably not the worst... I'm thinking middle. High middle. So buckle up and get ready for that patented Joss Whedon "high-middle" excitment. It's on its way.

I'm tired, and apparently I have to direct, like, EVERY scene, so I'm crashing. Thanks again, all of you, for helping me home. It's good to be back.

-joss."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

LostEraser

Was Firefly any good? I was curious about that show. I was VERY skeptical about Buffy for the longest time but a friend of mine showed me some Weadon directed episodes and I thought they we're brilliant. I was actually shocked because I always thought that show sucked. Now I want to watch all the other episodes.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

Raikus

Firefly's strength lies in its consecutive episodes. Wheaton did a good job of building the characters really well from episode 1-3. Unfortunately, Fox, in its infinite wisdom and splendor, deemed it necessary to air the episodes vastly out of order (so out of order that the last episode they aired was the pilot).

When it was on TV it was 'eh' for me. However I rented the DVD and watched them in order and it was just amazing how everything clicked. It's got great writing, superb acting and the humor that Wheadon usually brings to his craft. The characters are diverse and don't all speak with Joss' voice (a first in my opinion).

Definitely give it a rental on Netflix and see if it works for you.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

socketlevel

sunrise records in toronto was selling the dvd set cheap so i picked it up on a whim.  have to say i was really sad to see it end, especially since the last episode with the bounty hunter was the best one yet (there is something so amazing about the performace of the bounty hunter, truly chilling.  I was really excited to hear the main influence for that character was owen wilson from the "minus man", that is one of the most underseen films i can think of).  pick it up, you will not regret it.  i would have loved to see these characters develop further.

maybe after the film it will come back with a vengence.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: September 30th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Nathan Fillion (Capt. Malcolm Reynolds), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Sean Maher (Simon), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Chiwetel Ejiofor (The Operative), David Krumholtz (Mr. Universe), Raphael Feldman (Fanty), Yan Feldman (Mingo), Michael Hitchcock (Dr. Mathias)

Director: Joss Whedon (feature debut)

Screenwriter: Joss Whedon

Premise: Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran on the losing side of a galactic civil war, now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family - squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal. When Mal takes on two new passengers - a young doctor and his unstable, telepathic sister - he gets much more than he bargained for. The pair are fugitives from the coalition dominating the universe, who will stop at nothing to reclaim the girl. The crew that was once used to skimming the outskirts of the galaxy unnoticed find themselves caught between the unstoppable military force of the Universal Alliance and the horrific, cannibalistic fury of the Reavers, savages who roam the very edge of space. Hunted by vastly different enemies, they begin to discover that the greatest danger to them may be on board Serenity herself.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Alright. I'm geeking out. Can't wait to see this. Sadly, no Shepherd in there though and little of Kaylee.

modage

haha, how is it that everyone's vision of the future is 'unique' these days?

also: i dont know anything about the show but i like how there are no stars in this movie.  think about it.  big sci fi movie in theatres, no stars.  the last time that happened was probably pitch black.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatball

Animal Mother (Adam Baldwin, the non-Baldwin) is in it!

pete

whoa it looks pretty cool.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  and that move where the dude clothlines someone, 'causing him to do a gainer, then catching his foot while he's in the air and slams down on his head, that was pretty funny.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: RaikusAlright. I'm geeking out. Can't wait to see this. Sadly, no Shepherd in there though and little of Kaylee.
yeah there's like no kaylee in there at all. maybe a frame or two.

that sucks, jewel staite was the whole reason i tuned in. i had been hanging since higher ground finished  :violin:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Time for a serious thread-bump.

This was the best movie I've seen in a long time, of any genre.  More on this when I've reflected a little bit, but thank god for a film that actually bothers to earn the audience's feelings for the characters.

And Nathan Fillion might just be a movie star... not bad for the former third guy on "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

oh shit, forget that I actually saw this. yeah, it fucking rocks. funny all around, great action, great story. and goddamn michael hitchcock is in it!
WWPTAD?

modage

a brief history:

i loved Buffy the movie when it came out.  only saw a few minutes of the tv show and didnt like it.  never saw Firefly the show.  BUT with the good word of mouth, and rabid fans i'm interested.  

but moreso i love the EXTREMELY cool marketing strategy of holding fan screenings MONTHS in advance and doing only internet advertising.  it is because of this i want to reward this film with my viewing in the theatre.  HOWEVER, never having seen the show i'm struggling with whether i should hold out on the movie till dvd after i've had a chance to see the series to increase my appreciation of it or just go see this to support it.  HELP!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: modagea brief history:

i loved Buffy the movie when it came out.  only saw a few minutes of the tv show and didnt like it.  never saw Firefly the show.  BUT with the good word of mouth, and rabid fans i'm interested.  

but moreso i love the EXTREMELY cool marketing strategy of holding fan screenings MONTHS in advance and doing only internet advertising.  it is because of this i want to reward this film with my viewing in the theatre.  HOWEVER, never having seen the show i'm struggling with whether i should hold out on the movie till dvd after i've had a chance to see the series to increase my appreciation of it or just go see this to support it.  HELP!